Parrots in RV's

my future trip plans include my two parrots (plus 12 cats & a dog). i would like to know how anyone deals with fire-retardant materials that are inside the motorhome. my guys have been with me almost 17 years and i will not risk their health/welfare.

We docked next to a boat that had a parrot. Around 5am every am it started raising hell. The owners put the cage outside & shut the door, thank you so much for sharing...................................

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

Most of the newer RVs do not present a fume problem for birds. Some of the older ones were a real hazard to birds due to the fumes.

If you are concerned, leave a window cracked open and a roof vent to make sure the fumes never build up. Also, you can open a window or two and run a vent fan a couple of time each day.

We have travel with parrots for about 20 years now and no problems. Currently traveling with a Timneh African Gray that is about 17 years old. Keep them out of direct sun and drafts. Also when cooking with Teflon pans, be sure and not overheat them and run the vent fan in the kitchen. Also be careful spraying anyting in the smaller space of the RV.

Duncan has a travel cage for the back seat of the truck...he shares the seat with two schnauzers. He has a larger cage that is in the trailer. We sometimes take him outside in the travel cage.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I'm wondering why? Think the only bird I would travel with is the edible type and the moment it squawked it would be lunch.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

The Temneh Gray is a smallparrot and his travel cage is actually a cockatiel cage. depending on the road, Duncan hold to the perch or sometimes 1 foot on the bars and one on the perch. Food and water cups are less then 1/2 full. He settles in and down the road we go.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

i don't expect the travel part to be a problem. either class A or C, i will have a combo plexi-hard surface barrier so the birds will ride up from with me, cats & dog in the back. parrots are built for perching - they can hang on anywhere forever. i plan on smaller cages up front, secured - and Sidney cockatoo hates windshield wipers! so i can cover them if necessary. in the house they are out of their cages most of the day. i have an aviary made from a Lowe's dog kennel covered with hardware cloth - too much to set up on the road, but good for final destination. Ken, thanks much for the info. the stories i've heard about new stain-resistant couches killing birds are terrifying.

• 4 weeks later...

Ahhh Now we're into a field I am something of an expert in. I used to tame, train and groom Parrots for a living, and have owned well over three dozen, from Greenwing Macaws to Conures.

The best of all of them was a Timneh Grey named Ashley.

One of my long term customers owned a hand fed Scarlet Macaw and traveled quite extensively in his Class A coaches (He owned four over the time I knew him) His second to the last coach had a custom Plexiglas cage that was vented when the coach was parked, by way of a small fan and a bit of ducting, out a window. The last one was built and shipped to Newmar and they installed and vented it for him, from what he told me it wasn't cheap.....

The cage itself had air holes in it that were protected by 1/4 inch metal mesh. There were holes drilled to allow screws of scews to hold differing sized perches and a diagonal branch from bottom to top.

The advantages to this set up were many. I liked it so much that I modified the basic idea for my cat box area for my cats. We removed the washer/dryer, lined the inside of the cabinet with 1/4 inch Delrin Plastic, and vented out through the former dryer vent. No cat box smell! Easy acces to cleaning, Those washer/dryers are a joke anyway....

Eventually, after we have fewer than 7 cats, I'll have another Grey. Parrots in an RV? Great idea!!

Edited by BearandMoon

2003 Newmar Dutch Star 3802

'98 Ford Ranger

I'm so glad to see posts from others who travel with parrots. We recently adopted our son's Amazon, who had been with our son for about 20 years. Our 1st trip with him was to bring him home from our son's house, an almost 2-week trip. That went well. He was happy and not noisy. We only took him outside the RV in his travel cage, and of course did not leave him outside without us. We're very new to the process of traveling with a bird though; for instance, I had no idea that fire retardant materials could be dangerous. Thanks for mentioning that! We would very much like to hear from other RVers with parrots about problems, solutions, suggestions, etc. One of the things I'm concerned about is the noise a parrot can make at times. Obviouisly, we'll do our best to keep ours reasonably quiet all the time and certainly would never put his cage outside with him in it unless we were right there with him. Have you had problems of complaints from neighbors or park management? Do you give your birds only bottled water or do you have a filter system? Any other ideas anyone can share with us about safe and happy traveling with Charlie? Thanks for any help. We hope to meet other parrots and their people on the road soon!

John & Kay Turner
2004 HitchHiker Discover America
2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD, 4x4 diesel

I raised and handfed baby parrots,blue and gold macaws, african Grays and others. If I had a person beside me with a bird and they sounded off I wouldn't mind. I don't find it offensive, but that's me. Where we camp on the coast there is a family that seems to be in the same park at the same time and they have a blue and gold and they keep it on a perch outside, I really enjoy seeing the beautiful bird. I met a man this summer that travels with 2 cockatiels and said they they have been his traveling partners for many years.

• 2 weeks later...

Though not a full timer yet, I traveled with my sun conure all over the usa over the 28 years I had her. Sadly, she passed aay last week. This species usually lives for 20-25 yrs, so a 28 yr old one is exceptionally long lived. Conures are known to be very noisy, but if you show them plenty of attention they quiet down. Plus they sleep when dark and awake when it's daylight, so you can control the noise by controlling the light entering their cage. As a rule Sunny is much quieter than many dogs I've come across while camping. I never had a problem with fumes in our Styrofoam walled Aliner, but watch what you cook with because burning teflon fumes are almost instantly toxic to birds. She was a great traveling companion and always rode on either my DW or I while traveling, never in her travel cage - which was available with the door open if she wanted to go inside.

Here's a pic of my dear departed Sunny:

2wntthh.jpg

312b58n.jpg

To help ease our grief, we decided to get another hand raised baby sun to complete the circle of life. Though nothing can replace Sunny, who was truly a member of our family, we decided to to share our love with another bird. We will be picking him up from a breeder in Ga, on Oct 23rd on our way home from our vacation in the Smokies. He will just have been weaned (off formula) and eating on his own by then. Here's a photo of the clutch:
http://www.hoobly.com/HG7u/hand-fed-sun-conure-babies-taking-deposits-now.htm

At $250 each they are very reasonable. I paid $750 for Sunny back in 1985 - but they were much rarer then. Petco currently sells them for $600.

We fully intend to full-time with our new bird "Skittles" in 5 years. We can only hope that Skittles gives us a small fraction of the joy that our loving Sunny did. Parrot owners understand that bird that lives with you most of your adult life is a true companion, with a fully-developed personality, making them much more than a pet.

Chip

We travel with a Cockatiel.

And have a large cage secured on the Kitchen Counter with 1/4 inch All Thread/ and Wing Nuts thru the cage and into one of the Kitchen Cabinets.

The bird is a very good traveler. For water we use bottle water.

Steve

LIFETIME MEMBER
2011 Born Free Class C
OR/ CA border

NEWBIE, so I have everything to learn !

Chip - so sorry to hear about your loss. my Sun Conure Happy will be 18 in March. we have been together for 17 years come November; also Sidney (Goffin's Cockatoo, 25, wild-caught).

it is great to hear from other people who live with parrots! i sometimes wonder why i chose to spend my life with perpetual 3-year-olds since i never wanted or had human children, but Sidney had a horrible "home" and knew i would be the one to finally take her home with me. the one real problem i have is the dog, a Jack Russell Terrorist. there is no way i could ever trust him around the birds. the cats are trainable - Sidney enjys biting kitty tails.

i will be asking more detailed questions in a few years when i am closer to moving. some days i wish i could just the necessities into a motorhome & leave TODAY.

• 3 weeks later...

We have been travelling with 3 dogs and 3 parrots in a brand new RV. Didn't have any problems with the fumes of the brand new trailer. Now we have just 3 dogs and 1 parrot. Simon is a Citron Crested cockatoo, he lives in a dog crate. It goes from the car to the trailer. We also have a screen tent that we can put him in outside. We don't have a problem with him making too much noise. He does make some noise and he can be loud but generally he's pretty quiet.

But he loves to sing in the shower when we set up his tent. :)

Tom & Tessa

2005 Tundra, 2010 Jayflight 22FB

2012 Mazda 2.

Truffles, Autumn, Chloe & Simon

Broke and Going

Have visited

Racoon Valley, Rainbow Plantation, The Ranch,

Lone Star Corral, Tra-Park, Dream Catcher

2iqijpd.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

sushidog - all i can say (kindly meant) is SUCKER! - i had to steal my Sidney cockatoo since she had been left to freeze/starve to death. i've never regretted it for a moment.

i hope your two new family members are getting along & bringing you tons of joy!

• 2 weeks later...

I lived in a 25 ft travel trailer with my white fronted amazon (Phredie)for a year and now she and I have a 40 ft A class motor home. I removed one of the sofas and installed her cage in its place. She has been very healthy the entire time in both units and is very happy. She travels in a Wingabago travel cage,strapped in with the seat belt, when we are moving in a car or the RV to prevent her from getting hurt in case of having to stop suddenly or an accident.

• 3 weeks later...

so good to hear from other parrot slaves - er, people! i have decided on a used travel trailer with a bunkhouse - that way the birds can have their own room which i can ventilate & heat separately (and avoid the kitcehn problems). do any of you have alarms for leaking propane? is this a problem?

so, does anybody want to buy a house? (so i can get moving NOW.) the current plan is to rent a truck - u-haul? to drive the TT out west, with birds in the cab & cats & dog in the trailer. my friend said to look for aluminum siding rather than fiberglass. i want a trailer about 35' long. any & all suggestions would be welcome!

I do not know what paperwork is required but - I stopped at the border patrol inspection station west of Yuma and they had a parrot (probably a Quaker). It was sitting on a box under the shaded stop/interview area. The BP agent said it was taken from a traveler because they did not have the correct papers? Might have been wild caught or smuggled from Mexico. At any rate, I offered to take it and give it a good home, East of Yuma. But alas, they would not release it. It had to go to Los Angles and be quarinted for up to 90 days. I don't think it will make it because the gas fumes were really bad under the shed. It looked pretty sick.

Any one know what is required for carrying birds into Kalifornia?

Also - different subject - where is spell check located on this site?

Catfish

'08 Chebbie K3500; '07 Teton Sunrise Experience;
Native Texan/Transplanted Tarheel; Retired USMC

​LDO

"If you bring your parrot with you to live in a state where quaker parrots have been banned and you are caught with it, “the authorities could possibly euthanize it, they could fine you, or they could do both,” said Brosell. Exactly what the authorities would do depends on the laws of the state, but at the very least, your bird will be confiscated, Brosell said.

Quaker parrots are illegal to own or to sell in California, Georgia, Kansas, Kentucky, Hawaii, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Tennessee and Wyoming. In Connecticut, quakers are legal to own, but you can’t sell or breed them. New York and Virginia residents are allowed to own quakers, but they must register with the state. "

“Some states may allow an ‘outlawed parrot’ to be transported through the state as long as it remains in transit and is out of the state with in a short time frame — something like 48 hours. Other states prohibit any entrance of the parrots they feel can create a nuisance and travelers must circumnavigate the state if they are traveling with the suspect parrots,” Brosell said.

Research ahead of time what states are and aren’t “safe” to pass through with your quaker (contact the state veterinarian for each state on your planned route to find out what their policies are regarding quaker parrots), so that you will know if you need to make a detour to another state along the way. To locate a particular state veterinarian office, call 1-800-545-USDA and press option “2,” or visit the USDA Web site at www.aphis.usda.gov, and click on the appropriate state." http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-news/bird-legal-issues/birds-and-law.aspx

Chip