Towing Capacity 2002 F350 SRW Crew Cab 2WD

Andrew76

Ok, I know this topic has been done to death, but I want to see if I understand it.

Ford documents say I can tow 13,200, but is this a legal limit?

Or is it determined by the total loaded weight of the vehicle combined with the pin weight of the trailer, not to exceed the GVWR?

The trailer I'm looking at is GVWR of 13,995. I doubt I'll load it that much, but I don't want to make a mistake.

No that most likey is not a legal limit. You need to see if that amount was accompanied with any disclaimers or *'s. One of the legal limits will be the GCVWR which is the maximum combined weight of truck as loaded for hauling and the weight of trailer as loaded for traveling. The next legal limits to watch out for our the axle ratings to make sure you have not overloaded one or more axles, then the next is tire ratings vs as loaded and individually weighed.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

If your truck has the diesel engine the Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) is 20,000 pounds. This means that the weight your truck (with everything/everyone in it) along with your loaded trailer shouldn't exceed 20,000 pounds.

The "maximum tow" capacity that Ford publishes is the GCWR minus the assumed weight of the truck. In reality trucks usually weigh more than the assumed empty weight, especially once you've got them loaded up with people, fuel, toolboxes, trailer hitch, etc. So it is likely hat the maximum trailer weight you can handle is somewhat less than the published 13,200. And most folks try not to push right up to the absolute maximum.

You'll also need to check the weights of the rear axle (RAWR) and the front axle (FAWR) as well as the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) but I'm guessing that the GCWR will be the control.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

I'm not sure what is meant in terms of the legal weight limit statement? Are you confusing the DOT weight limits with loads exceeding axle limits on commercial vehicles vs private vehicles? Private vehicles can get unsafe equipment violations and in terms of weight usually only if the vehicle is grossly overweight and in an unsafe condition. The GVWR's are manufactured suggested limits, not a law. Now if you cross a bridge with a posted weight limit of say 10 tons and your vehicle exceeds 10T, then you have exceeded a legal weight limit and would be illegal no matter what type of vehicle you were operating. I don't believe a privately owned camper that is a couple thousand pounds overweight is a ticket-able offense unless it is proven grossly unsafe, which is unlikely.

The point is you can exceed a GVWR on a private vehicle and not be illegal.

(I agree with Kirk's response below from a safety standpoint, but also keep in mind that the manufactures GVWR numbers also have a safety factor calculated in them.)

Greg

The issue with weights that exceed the manufacturer's design limits is more one of comfort and safety than it is of legal issues. While it probably has happened, I have never met an RV owner who was ticked for excess weight and no state that I've been in requires an RV to pass through the truck scales. But many an RV owner has learned by experience that towing an RV that is near or exceeds the truck's rated capacity is both uncomfortable and hard work and if an emergency stop is needed, you may be in serious trouble! Most of the fifth wheel owners that I know will agree that for best safety and handling you should not tow more than 80% of the truck's rated capacities.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Ok, so I'm right to be a little confused still, because the hard-and-fast rule that I was looking for doesn't really exist in a practical sense? Seems like it comes to a judgement call.

The trailer I'm looking at has a GVWR of 13,995. It also says the weight of cargo should never exceed 3,553 (I doubt I'll carry that much.) Does this mean the unloaded trailer weighs around 10,400? If so, it seems like I'm ok as long as I don't carry too much gear.

Just trying to understand- thanks guys.

I found this definition of GVWR as related to a vehicle. Hope this helps.

Greg

Understanding Gross Vehicle Weight Rating

Knowing and understanding GVWR is important to towing because it tells you explicitly the maximum weight of passengers and cargo you can safely carry in your truck or SUV. GVWR is the total combined weight of truck, including all passengers, fuel, fluids and cargo. GVWR is constant and does not change, regardless of what you tow. It’s engineered in when the vehicle is manufactured.

Because tongue weight must be included in the GVWR, you will need to know how much weight capacity you need to have “left over” for when you hook up your trailer.

For example, if you have a 5,000-pound truck with a 6,200 pound GVWR, you can safely carry 1,200 pounds in the vehicle. If you are towing a trailer with a 300-pound tongue weight, the amount of passengers and gear you can carry decreases to 900 pounds. Simple, right?

To be sure you choose the right tow vehicle, you must find the vehicle with a tow rating high enough to meet your needs. It’s usually a good idea to get a bit more capacity than what your currents needs are. But at the very least, be certain the towed load and tongue weight are within your vehicle’s capacity.

Archived