Getting the right tow vehicle

sdchisnall@gmail.com

Cry for help from a newbe to Rv'ing

I recently attended the Bootcamp for beginners at Congress - great 3 days full of good info and advice.

Looking to buy 5th Wheeler with a GVWR of 10,000lbs

The tow vehicle I'd like is a gas engine Ford F-250 SRW 4X2 Supercab with a stated 5th Wheel towing capacity of 13,000 lbs

Can someone please confirm / advise whether this is enough truck.

I downloaded the Fifth Wheel St app but it needs actual weigh-bridge results to ascertain tow vehicle suitability.

Best wishes,

Steve

Welcome to the Escapees forum!!!

If you have not already, you need to familiarize yourself with all the weight ratings that can come into play; Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR), Gross Combine Weight Rating (GCWR), Rear Axle Weight Rating (RAWR), Maximum Trailer Rating, etc. With 5th wheels one of the more common issues is that the pin weight of the 5th wheel puts the tow vehicle over its GVWR when the tow vehicle is loaded with passengers, a full fuel tank and other gear that is not included in the manufacturer's curb weight or payload calculation. Here is a link to a calculator that can help you match a truck and trailer. You do not have to fill in all the boxes to get an answer, but the more information you provide, the more accurate the calculations will be. Be aware that the calculator uses 25% of the trailer GVWR as the pin weight and applies a 20% safety factor as the defaults. This will likely result in trailer recommendations well below the manufacturer's maximum rating.

Good Luck in your search for the right trailer and truck for you and Welcome Again to the Escapees Forum!!

A suggestion: Buy an F-350 SRW 4x2 Supercab instead. It is a very similar truck, and the cost is within a few hundred dollars. The advantage is that the rear axle has a higher rating, and this is often the controlling weight on an F-250.

I've had both an F-250 SRW and an F-350 SRW, and for very little extra money the higher RAWR is worth having.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Thanks for that. Any thoughts about the difference between gas and diesel?

I've towed successfully with Ford's V-10 gasoline engine since 1999. My current trailer weighs 15,000 pounds and I've towed up and down the Rockies many times without issue. When it comes time to replace my current truck I'll look at their current 6.2 liter V-8 gas motor which is supposed to offer similar performance.

That being said, I'm very much in the minority and most folks choose a diesel for their towing needs. There is a significant increase in cost for the diesel and an associated increase in maintenance costs as well. However they do get better mileage both loaded and unloaded and they probably don't work as hard as the gas motors.

Another stated advantage of the diesel is longevity, though I put over 150,000 miles on my 1999 F-250 and have 120,000 miles on my current 2010 F-350 with zero engine maintenance issues. Not a single engine-related repair on either truck. If you think that you'll keep the truck past 200,000 miles you should probably look harder at the diesel, but otherwise the gasoline engines offer good longevity.

Mark & Teri

Mark & Teri's Travels

I have a 2016 F250 gasser CC short bed with camper package, etc. My payload is 3209. I pull a 30' fifth wheel that maxes 11,400, but usually weights in the range of 10,500. I have an Andersen hitch that saves a couple of hundred lbs of payload, but I also have a full size toolbox that's pretty well stocked - probably a couple of hundred lbs, easy. I'm OK on both payload and tow rating. I've weighed the truck and trailer several times so I know I'm good on the numbers. I never feel like the trailer is in control.

The truck and trailer pulls well and I have no complaints, except one - it needs a second gas tank. Around town, not pulling I get about 10.2 mpg. Towing I get about 8.2. I usually run about 63 or 64 mph towing.

South Texas is pretty flat, but going over a freeway overpass I'm usually in 3d gear turning 4000 or 4500 rpm. I rarely kick out of cruise, but the engine is really screaming. Leaving my home I have to go up a very steep hill and I don't get much of a run at it. I see lots of big trucks back down it. At best, I top the hill at 5 mph wondering if I'm going to make it. No way would this rig be adequate in the mountains.

I love the truck, but wish I had gotten the diesel. I'm not going to trade soon, but I'm sure I'll trade sooner than if I had gotten the 6.7 engine in the beginning.

Best of luck,

John

John, Jean and (the late) Molly & Mea (the puppy) Springer Spaniels
2016 F250 CCSB w/Andersen Ultimate Hitch
2014 Shasta Phoenix 27RL XLT
BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.com

John-

What rear gear to you have in your truck? I'm surprised that you're kicking into 3rd and turning 4 - 4.5K on overpasses. What speed are you setting your cruise at?

With my 2010 V-10, 4.30 rear end I get 12-13 mpg empty and around 7 mpg towing a big fifth wheel. And the only time that I'm at 4 - 4.5K is on long climbs up 5% plus grades.

Mark & Teri

Mark & Teri's Travels

John-

What rear gear to you have in your truck? I'm surprised that you're kicking into 3rd and turning 4 - 4.5K on overpasses. What speed are you setting your cruise at?

With my 2010 V-10, 4.30 rear end I get 12-13 mpg empty and around 7 mpg towing a big fifth wheel. And the only time that I'm at 4 - 4.5K is on long climbs up 5% plus grades.

I believe the rear end is a 3.31 - it is the only one with the electronic locker (which I love) - and I have the 6 speed auto. I usually run at 63 or 64 MPH on the gps. Overall, it is geared pretty low. I get the best mileage by accellerating and getting in to 6th gear ASAP - babying the gas will drop the mileage by at least 1 mpg.

John, Jean and (the late) Molly & Mea (the puppy) Springer Spaniels
2016 F250 CCSB w/Andersen Ultimate Hitch
2014 Shasta Phoenix 27RL XLT
BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.com

Archived