2011 cc 1500 silverado LT 5.3/opinion please 2 wheel dr

PeaPicker

Dry Axle Weight 5860lb

Dry hitch weight 1375lb

net carrying capacity 4265lb

Gross dry weight 7235lb

Gross vehicle weight (GVWR) 11500lb

Simple anwser please because (lol) I have a simple mind....thank you in advance for your reply..will my truck be ok to pull this

More information is required to be absolutely certain.. but short answer... no. Dry hitch weight of 1375lbs... it's safe to assume you're talking about a 5th wheel? Max cargo capacity of your truck is 1495lbs. Taking your 1375lb hitch weight (which will be more once loaded) + the hitch itself.. 100-150lbs.. leaves you with a grand total of 20lbs for filling your fuel tank (~300lbs), any passenger weight over 150lbs, additional options (extended/crew cab/tow package/etc), tools, etc. Not going to make it.

Additionally.. if the GVWR of your trailer is 11,500lb.. and considering the TOP tow capacity in that engine class is 10,000lbs.. you'll be pushing max capacity (if not over) there too.

1500 CC Short Box 2WD 5.3L V-8 6,100 lbs capacity (3.08:1 ratio)

1500 CC Short Box 2WD 5.3L V-8 6,800 lbs capacity (3.08:1 ratio,Cooling or other accessory package required)

1500 CC Short Box 2WD (XFE) 5.3L V-8 7,000 lbs capacity (3.08:1 ratio,Cooling or other accessory package required)

1500 CC Short Box 2WD 5.3L V-8 9,600 lbs capacity (3.42:1 ratio,Cooling or other accessory package required)

Above are the listed towing capacities from Trailer Life's 2011 towing guide for Chevy 1500 CC trucks with the 5.3 engine. Just based on the limited information you posted, I would agree with Yarome that the trailer is too heavy for your truck.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Welcome to the Escapee forums! We do our best to help and since you are in Kilgore, you are not all that far from the home of Escapees! I really can't add anything to what has been previously stated, but I do want to encourage you to join in with questions or comments as we enjoy new folks joining and want to assist in any way possible. :D

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

This pdf clearly shows you cannot safely (ball hitch) tow over 10,000# with a Chevrolet Silverado 1500 regular cab 2WD; nor a 5th wheel over 8,800#.

If you had the 6.3 gas engine and 3:73 differential gearing; it's maximum capacities are just below the 5.3 engine stats, and reflect 10,700# and 10,200#, still under your proposed trailer GWR.

Another factor, the closer your towing weight is to tow vehicle maximum, the faster you wear out the tow vehicle.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

The biggest problem with the 1/2 ton truck is the pin weight and the small payload capacity. You will limit out the truck on GAWR and GVWR long before you reach the GCWR.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

• 3 months later...

...thank you all, for your sincere replies...I set about my homework,reading this and other forums...INDEED what a chore...I made my decision...Winnebago Class c Minnie Winnie 26a....I know, I know, but after all considered,this is best for me....I know it has been five months...well geeeez.... it is YA"LL.... who said do your homework...thank you all once again...

okay..now the goal is to be fulltiming by Feb/2018...if things go smooth it could be sooner....looking forward to wandering....

“A person does not grow from the ground like a vine or a tree, one is not part of a plot of land. Mankind has legs so it can wander.”....Roman Payne

...of course I welcome feedback on my choice...

You have clearly made some decisions along the way, so you are progressing! You didn't say if your Minnie Winnie will be new or used? Looking over the specs it would seem to be a reasonable choice. Keep us posted on your progress as you move ahead with your plans and feel free to ask for help or support on the trip. If your experience is like ours, that year will go past at a pretty rapid pace so keep moving forward with your planning. Since you are in Kilgore, do you plan to make Escapee's mail service in Livingston your home? We used it quite happily for 12 years and still use them for mail while we travel. I'd suggest that you get your address set up with at least 3 months lead time so that you can easily have all of your important mail moved there well before you leave. One big advantage to their services for we Texans is that all of the needed shifting of things like vehicle registrations and driving licenses can be done by mail, not requiring any travel to Livingston.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Follow up to the 1500 truck. I had a 2010 dodge ram 5.7 hemi 4x4 pulling a lightly loaded 4 wheel uhaul trailer. Boy did it have the power to pull. I was pulling up the west side of the Eisenhauer tunnel from Vail,co.If you have a transmission temp gauge like I had you would realize everything was not going as good as you thought. I can,t remember the temp but buy the time I was 3/4 way up the trans temp was rising rapidly. I got over with just high temp but I always wounder what the trans temp would have been If I had gone over loveland pass? Point is just because the numbers work without some monitoring and common sense things can get hotter than they should. Just a thought.

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

You have clearly made some decisions along the way, so you are progressing! You didn't say if your Minnie Winnie will be new or used? Looking over the specs it would seem to be a reasonable choice. Keep us posted on your progress as you move ahead with your plans and feel free to ask for help or support on the trip. If your experience is like ours, that year will go past at a pretty rapid pace so keep moving forward with your planning. Since you are in Kilgore, do you plan to make Escapee's mail service in Livingston your home? We used it quite happily for 12 years and still use them for mail while we travel. I'd suggest that you get your address set up with at least 3 months lead time so that you can easily have all of your important mail moved there well before you leave. One big advantage to their services for we Texans is that all of the needed shifting of things like vehicle registrations and driving licenses can be done by mail, not requiring any travel to Livingston.

...it has occur to me kind sir,that this is a process...one to enjoy...the truck can be sold for the tow vehicle...and I'm sure from here things will fall in place...

Archived