Quartzite This Time of Year

hbjoe3

We will be traveling to CA and need a stop over for a night, is Quartzite too busy to find a boondocking spot this time of year? We never stopped there before and have no idea where to park. Does anyone have GPS locations?

We are coming from the Prescott Valley AZ area to Orange County CA and want to break the trip into 2 days.

Thanks,

Joe

2014 Forest River Legacy

Even in the height of season, there is plenty of boondocking available in Quartzsite. The boondocking areas are quite large, with 14 day free areas east, west, north and south of town.

We often stop for one night when traveling through in November through April, mostly while traveling on I-10. For us, the easiest is to take exit 19 off I-10, east of town. Drive south to the stop sign, then east (left), after a mile or so you will have a 14-day free area on your right (the side away from I-10). Start looking for a level spot where you can stay the night. You will see primitive roads going south further in if you want to get away from the noise of I-10. You will not be alone, but there will be plenty of choice.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Assuming you will be traveling west on I-10, there are two free BLM areas that are convenient to the Interstate. The first one, at Exit 19, is the one Bill described. The second one is at Exit 17 (or Exit 11), Dome Rock Road. If you get off at Exit 17, go south toward the Love's and take a right on the frontage road. Continue to follow the frontage road until you get to the BLM area...probably a mile or more down the road. You'll be able to tell the area by the RVs. If you get off at Exit 11, go south again and take the frontage road back to the east.

As Bill said, even during January, there is plenty of room on BLM land surrounding Quartzsite. At this time of year, it's almost empty.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Very good information. Thanks for sharing.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

Thanks Linda! I found the article below that may be the same area you are talking about.

http://www.wheelingit.us/2011/11/22/boondocking-site-review-dome-rock-quartzsite-az/

Yes, that's it. The map at the bottom of the article also shows the Scadden Wash area east of town that Bill mentioned.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

Linda: Next time we are in Q I will try to go out to Dome Rock from Exit 17. Somehow we have only seen the part right by Exit 11, where we saw little that was level.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

We used to have a RV lot out past the Dome Rock area at exit 17, it was a popular spot for folks wanting to get to the shows on the south side of I-10. Lots of great spots and good views from a lot of the area.

Google map and route: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/33.6584647,-114.2406494/33.6377977,-114.26951/@33.6485697,-114.2529876,3636m/data=!3m1!1e3

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Bill, if you take a left-hand turn onto Cholla Road (or a right-hand turn if coming from Exit 11...see Stanley's map) there are areas of Dome Rock BLM to the west of the road, south of the storage area, that are flatter (on the map, you'll see roads headed off to the west). This area has the added advantage that it's farther from the Interstate with lots less road noise. We've stayed there several times. We have found, however, that the closer you are to the mountain in this area, the poorer the cell reception is, so if you try it out, head as far west as you can...it seems the mountain blocks the tower(s).

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

I'm just curious.. when you get a bunch of folks out in the same area like that, what's the typical spacing like? I mean.. do folks line up similar to a CG or is there a respectful distance folks kind of adhere to? I'm not familiar with the etiquette.

Yarome that is a good question. We try to stay as far away from others as possible, however some people for some strange reason need to be near other people and will camp very close. For the most part most people stay a respectable distance away.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

I'm just curious.. when you get a bunch of folks out in the same area like that, what's the typical spacing like? I mean.. do folks line up similar to a CG or is there a respectful distance folks kind of adhere to? I'm not familiar with the etiquette.

We are currently at "Hi Jolly" fourteen day free camping area north of Quartzsite, and I would say the minimum distance varies from 10-20 yards separation for the RVs parked along some of the washes to about 100 yards separation for those not close to a wash.

Paul

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

And on Plomosa Road, which happens to be our favorite place to stay, separation is often hundreds of yards. The week after the Big Tent the entire area really cleared out and anyone could be as alone as they wanted. Many of the exceptions you see are folks who are travelling together. Often small groups will form circles with a campfire area in the center. It's kind of whatever floats your boat.

We are in the Imperial Dam LTVA now. It seems a lot more crowded here than at Q, mostly because there is less open desert to park in. We like it better here for several reasons. Proximity to Yuma, 4 line dump station, date shakes, and the Exchange at the Proving ground. Anyone can get a day pass to use the store, gas station, church, bowling alley, etc. I bought propane there today for $1.64 per gallon. Best price I've seen in many years.

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

Here at Ogilby rd the closest neighbors are about 200 yds away . A group of 4 . No amenities but lots of privacy. We can go 10 days easily before we have to think about dumping or getting fresh water. Usually by then we are ready to move on.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

Off to Quartzsite in a couple of days. Sounds like Hi Jolly area is pretty full. Is there a 14 day BLM area south of town as we come in from Yuma?

Off to Quartzsite in a couple of days. Sounds like Hi Jolly area is pretty full. Is there a 14 day BLM area south of town as we come in from Yuma?

Roadrunner on west at MM99 is large. Many groups have their rallies there in January.

We are in La Posa South now and it has emptied out a lot in the last 2 weeks. There is a lot of open space and you can park anywhere without being directly in someone else's camp for hundreds of yards. Being our first year here we liked South as it is close to the water and dumps. We are in an area where it is like our own private oasis!

http://ramblingrvrat.blogspot.com/?m=1

GOD Bless America!

GOD Bless Texas!

GOD Bless All of our Troops!

"CHARACTER is doing the right thing when no one is looking"

'09 International Durastar 4400 LP Customized by 2L Custom Trucks

'20 DRV Mobile Suites 40KSSB4, '10 H-D FLHRC Road King Classic, '09 Honda Rebel AmeriDeck M/C Loader in Truck Garage, Polaris RZR 570 EPS 10 - 320W Solar Panels, 4- Simpliphi 3.8 kWh 151A Lithium batteries, Victron Multiplus 3000W inverters, Victron 250/70 Charge Controllers, Progressive hardwired 50 AMP EMS, Class of 2012!

1221594356_ProfilePic.jpg.9b4d57a43f182efadbcaf4db7556bb2e.jpg

We are in Hi Jolly as well. Plenty of room. Plomosa Road is even more wide open.

http://www.blm.gov/az/st/en/prog/recreation/camping/dev_camps.html

Scroll down to Yuma Field Office

10996168_10206228963068847_3580544916738

Sasha and Laura

SOLD: 1999 Ford F450 7.3 PSD CC 4x2, Roll-A-Long Hauler Bed, 15,000 GVWR, 26,000 GCVWR,

PacBrake PBRX, AIRSAFE 25K Air hitch & KSH 80 Gal Aux Tank/Tool Box Combo

2006 FR Sandpiper Sport F37 Toyhauler, 16K GVWR, 7K axles, 17.5" Wheels, 600W Solar

We are heading south to Imperial Dam LTVA on Sunday or Monday. Need to stop by Los Algodones for dental cleanings and meds.

Sasha and Laura

SOLD: 1999 Ford F450 7.3 PSD CC 4x2, Roll-A-Long Hauler Bed, 15,000 GVWR, 26,000 GCVWR,

PacBrake PBRX, AIRSAFE 25K Air hitch & KSH 80 Gal Aux Tank/Tool Box Combo

2006 FR Sandpiper Sport F37 Toyhauler, 16K GVWR, 7K axles, 17.5" Wheels, 600W Solar

We just drove in to La Posa South yesterday afternoon from Indio. We are set up with some friends and enjoying the good weather and views. This is our 5th year coming here.

Full time since August 2010

2002 Itasca Horizon

One fur kid - a Shih-Tsu rescue

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd

Archived