Snakes alive! Arizona man, 91, doing fine after rattler bite

Phaeton10

Camp Pendelton 1967 caught and ate one raw on escape and evasion training in prep for se asia alias RVN. Not just me, I believe it was 5 of us, maybe 4. no knife, no fire just forked stick and sharp edged rock, boot on head until severed. DID NOT TASTE LIKE CHICKEN. Probably 4 or 5 bites each.

A little later dodging a patrol I ended up sliding down a small incline in the dark and landed on a cactus on my upper leg and lower gluteous maximus. It was the small spines that you just can't get all out.

Dogs can be vaccinated against rattlesnake venom.

Yes, they can. However, the vaccine is made for protection only against the Western Diamondback Rattlesnake. Red Rock Biologics, the maker of the vaccine, says the vaccine *may* protect against some other species of rattlesnakes.

Here are their FAQs:

http://www.redrockbiologics.com/rattlesnake_vaccine_faq.php

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Just follow the Montana Rule of 3-S's, SHOOT, SHOVEL, AND SHUT UP. No problem.

Joe

I wish there was a LIKE button here. :)

Clay(WA5NMR), Lee(Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Snowbirds for 1 year. Now settled down in western CO.
Honda Accord toad.

• 4 weeks later...

Had an interesting run in with a very young Diamondback, crotalus atrox about 28 years ago. I was taking our son and daughter for a walk in the Organ Mountains near Las Cruces. I noticed that one of our son's shoes was untied. So he sat down to tie it - and an 18" long Diamondback struck him on the sole of his shoe. Had to grab the dogs (a Rottie and a black mutt - the greatest dog we ever had) as they were incensed. Hiked for a couple of hours and saw the same snake about 50 meters away from first spot (have only seen two snakes that small in my life which has included a lot of rock climbing and hiking).

When we got home, they excitedly told Elaine about their big adventure. And then Elaine told me what she thought of the big adventure. It was not fun.

Reed and Elaine

You were being stalked :lol:

Do snakes stalk? Sounds like the start of an inexpensive horror movie. An 18" atrox would not be as impressive as an Anaconda, a movie with two sequels that made a lot of money. I believe Anacondas are primarily water dwellers and are slow moving on firm ground. Nevertheless, I would be most circumspect in their environs, i.e. scared silly

Reed

I judge all snakes equally!!... Except for the king snake! ... After a run in with a western diamondback and a Mojave Green a couple months ago my Judge handled the situation quite well! :D After a quick filed complaint Judge Taurus responded quickly and issued a .410 ruling! :D

2000 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40' DP

2015 DRV 38RSSA 5th wheel

2004 M2 106 MDT

It's What You Learn, After You Know It All!... That Counts!!

My attitude towards rattlesnakes is pretty much that of a good friend who is a Lakota Elder. "When a rattlesnake sounds, just say "Thank you Brother for the kind warning."" He notes that he is considered an elder since everyone else older has died and how people expect him to be wise. He had five tours in RVN with LRRP, LRP and Rangers from 101st and 173rd, and a tour with RVN Airborne. If you kill off the ones that rattle, then natural selection will leave you with ones that do not rattle. This has apparently happened around Los Angeles

White Sands Missile Range is the eastern edge of the range for Mojave (or Mohave), Crotalus scutulatus. Our lab had a lot of gaps in the walls apparently since we often found scutulatus, atrox and viridis inside. One of the guys made up a snake catching device and we would put them in a 55 gallon trash container, put on the lid and haul them off half a mile into the desert. Do not want to be picking up a trash container with a 4' to 6' snake in it without a cover. Snakes are protected on military ranges and we went along with the environmental rules.

I foolishly tried to pick up a Coachwhip (twice), Masticophis flagellum, and wow, will they try to bite. The sites on-line note that "they will bite, and repeatedly..." but are not otherwise aggressive.

We had a gopher snake (aka bull snake) that hung out in our woodpile. After he got to know us, he paid no attention whatsoever. He did not mind being handled (bit the first time). They do keep down the rodent and insect population.

Reed and Elaine

Tarantulas will bite if handled roughly but they are not poisonous. Lots of them in NM, just enjoy looking at them and then just walk down the trail The same is true of rattlers. Scan and put on the lid before carrying them out to a pickup and depositing him/her a quarter mile away.

We are in the last week of a 2-1/2 week stay at SKP Park Sierra just downhill a few miles from Coarsegold, CA. Apparently there are rattlesnakes here (many, many rocks and boulders) along with a tarantula-fest in October. We'd - make the "I'd" - love to be here for that as tarantulas are my favorite arachnid. Several friends have them as pets (not my wife, though).

With daytime temperatures into the low 70s here and low temps in the 40s and high 30s I have been wondering if the rattlers - denned up for the winter - might not start poking their little triangle-shaped heads out and looking for lunch.

Park Sierra has a 40-acre adjacent parcel with a terrific mountain bike trail through it complete with many boulders, some nice hills, and places I would expect to find both tarantulas and rattlers. So far no sign of them.

This place ranks very high on my list of good places to stay for $21 a night including WiFi and cable tv and both 50 and 30 amp power (I have the solar panels running during the day and batteries still provide all but the AC power in the coach).

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

Archived