This is why there should be MORE inspections....

Guest THE TRAILERKING

More inspections of what? Did the trailer coupling break? Did the hitch break? Did the driver forget to latch the coupler and hook up the safety chains? Does the trailer even have safety chains? There's not enough information available from the video to tell what caused the breakaway...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

You will never prevent this with "inspections". Only with education. Assuming you mean something like DOT inspections.

Relative to RVers....there are so few RV accidents, statistically, that the RV community is pretty safe. Surprising to me actually, when I see how some RVers drive, and the lack of ability to park RVs.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Agree with Dutch. Doesn't look like it was properly hitched. You can't inspect for stupid!!

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

It appears that he hit a small bump and the trailer bounced up off the ball of the hitch. What really needs to happen here is less stupidity.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Guest THE TRAILERKING

-Non registered

-No lights

-No safety chains

-Old seized up/damaged coupler (and too big for the ball)

-Solid suspension trailer (no springs)

Junk like that shouldn't even be allowed to roll down the road. Let alone ever being able to register it with a plate.

Guest THE TRAILERKING

I suppose should have been worded quite differently.....

This is why there should be more EDUCATION....

For the people that "Think" they know what they're doing.

Waaay back when I was still in high school I spent a summer working for a farmer doing grain harvesting. We moved his fuel wagon with the grain truck. The "hitch" was a bolt welded to the box of the truck with a square nut. One time the bolt broke off...I was driving and the boss says...dont stop...lol.... fuel wagon rolled into the ditch.

My bosses fix was to go back to the shop and weld a better bolt on...lol

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Waaay back when I was still in high school I spent a summer working for a farmer doing grain harvesting. We moved his fuel wagon with the grain truck. The "hitch" was a bolt welded to the box of the truck with a square nut. One time the bolt broke off...I was driving and the boss says...dont stop...lol.... fuel wagon rolled into the ditch.

My bosses fix was to go back to the shop and weld a better bolt on...lol

Yeah! There are too many people that have some kind of experience with "equipment" (even if it was 60 years ago) and have little or no doubt that handling an RV is like riding a bicycle, you just don't forget how to do it. The assumption is that you always knew how to do it right because you survived. Not true then. Not true now.

Remember that all of the cells in one's body are replaced ever 7 years and what does not get used just is not there anymore. False assumptions kill people. Learn or relearn. There is no "I already know it!"

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

I suppose should have been worded quite differently.....

This is why there should be more EDUCATION....

For the people that "Think" they know what they're doing.

Yes....you definitely can't stop stupid....

No amount of inspection activity is going to catch that trailer. A cop on the road may have, though. When I see those situations I stay as far away as possible....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Or the very advanced age of some RVers.

Last night a young couple came in after dark and had many near misses as they parked their trailer, since they were in a hurry. I have met impatient 80 year olds and patient 20 year olds.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Last night a young couple came in after dark and had many near misses as they parked their trailer, since they were in a hurry. I have met impatient 80 year olds and patient 20 year olds.

A lot of 80 year olds know they don't have the time left to waste any...

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Impatience is one thing, impaired ability is another. I've been working at an RV park this year, and there have been a few oldsters who should hang it up before they hurt themselves or others.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Impatience is one thing, impaired ability is another. I've been working at an RV park this year, and there have been a few oldsters who should hang it up before they hurt themselves or others.

:unsure: I used to think the same way when I was younger; LOL! You will come to understand when like I did; had to take the keys from my brother at 65 Yrs. because his Alzheimers got worse! I may have saved some others and if that be the case; I am pleased i did. I was 55 at the time and still it shattered my heart. now I am 64; and sometimes wonder when my day will come to this! ;) Just hope I have enough of my wits to hang up the keys.

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

Taking the keys away can fail if your parent has several tucked away, sometimes you have to take the car to stop the problems. We had hoped keeping the car and driving him around in it for shopping trips would be less traumatic than just taking the car but after the third spare key and a multi-car fender bender it had to go.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I guess it is a problem with growing older------ We were lucky in two cases. My dad developed a very severe case of macular degeneration an voluntarily gave up driving. Then my MIL developed the dreaded Alzheimer's disease. She, too, gave up driving voluntarily. Now my wife and I worry about each other with the various diseases out there. Hopefully we'll be in our 90's before we have to give up driving. Of course that would also mean giving up RVing. But we're going to go as long as we possibly can. Happy and safe travels to everyone. Dennis

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

Archived