National Interstate Insurance

dsimpson

In another post,

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=119990

I talked about my insurance premium increase and asked for recommendations for another insurance company. I called Explorer RV and got some competitive quotes for coverage by National Interstate Insurance. I have never heard of this company but the agent said they have many Escapees customers. Anyone covered by National Interstate? If so, what can you tell me about their response to claims? I don't want to switch to another company just because premiums are lower.

I asked the agency about Foremost because I have heard many good things about their claims coverage but Foremost premiums are much higher and they don't cover tow vehicles in Texas. At least, that is what the agent told me. I would have to go with another company to get coverage for my Dodge Ram.

I've had National Interstate for the past 3+ years. Have never had a claim so can't comment on that. I know that there are several that have insurance with them so I'm sure that someone will comment. Their rates have gone up every year.

Dave and Marge

2010 Phaeton Motor Home
Previous Mobile Suites 36 RSSB3 (for sale)
and 2005 FL M2-106 Sport (for sale after 5er sells)

We have National Interstate also. I think the reason many folks like them is they are one of the few that'll insure fulltimers. But we haven't had to make a claim either so I can't answer to that. The rates have crept up for us on our 5th wheel each year. We just switched our truck to Nat'l (from Progressive) last year and the rate was much,much cheaper, like 40%. But since you are in a state where they won't insure your truck, you may feel more comfortable with a company that covers both...in case of accident you'd only have to deal with one company.

Explorer RV has had me with Natl Interstate pretty much since 2003. We have had claims for glass, a lightning strike, and awning destroyed by wind. Their response/payment in each case has been fairly prompt and easy to deal with.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

We have had National Interstate Insurance on both the motorhome and tow since 2002, but thankfully like the others we've had no claims other than a couple of "high dollar" windshields and one on the tow which have all been replaced with no problems. It's been our experience that every time we have called we talk with a "real person" who promptly resolves our concerns.

John & Marsha Coates

2013 Itasca Suncruiser

2010 Jeep Rubicon

We have had National Interstate for about 7 or 8 years. We have had 1 claim which they handled without making us jump through hoops. All we had to do was take photos of the damage that we emailed to the adjuster, get an estimate from a local RV repair shop and wait for the parts to arrive. A check for the full amount was at the repair shop before the parts. Oh, the diminishing deductible was VERY nice also... :D

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

I've been with them for 5 or 6 years now, and have had several claims, both on my MDT and the fifth wheel. They've been very easy to deal with, and fair and prompt in their payment of the claims. The disappearing deductible is also a vey nice feature.

I've had one of my RV's and my HDT covered by National Interstate for about 5 yrs. No experience with their claims dept thankfully. They seem to be more of a specialty insurer, rather than all coverages to everyone. They're one of the few who continue to cover our heavy duty trucks converted to RV toters, at least the ones singled.

Is this the auto and RV insurance that you can get thru Good Sam?

I have had them for 4 years but have never had a claim. Good Luck

No, that's National General, a completely different company.

Jim

Have been with National Interstate for the truck and trailer since 2004. Two claims. Last one 2009. Call them up. Get a claim number and someone I could contact with through email. Just had to take some pictures, get an estimate, email everything in to them. Wait until I was given the go to call the place to get the parts. No complains.

National wants to run a credit check just to give a rate quote. Really?

I don't know of a company that doesn't do that today. If you look at your credit report, those entries show, but are listed differently than those for credit applications, but I can't remember what they were called. I have no idea what the reason is but because I watch my credit report closely I have seen it more than once. I believe that some companies do so upon renewal as well. I've been told that credit rating influences your premiums.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I don't know of a company that doesn't do that today. If you look at your credit report, those entries show, but are listed differently than those for credit applications, but I can't remember what they were called. I have no idea what the reason is but because I watch my credit report closely I have seen it more than once. I believe that some companies do so upon renewal as well. I've been told that credit rating influences your premiums.

If they had told me they were going to do a credit check, I would have told them to forget about it. My credit reports are frozen. I will NOT thaw them for a reason like this. I could have coordinated it to be timed with the purchase of my coach. Guess that goes to show how often I shop for insurance.

Typically, the credit checks run by insurance companies for rate quotes, lenders for pre-approval, etc, are "soft inquiries". Soft inquiries can be made without your permission and provide only limited data. They do not affect your credit score.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

They are called insurance scores and are totally different than a credit score. They will not affect your credit score. Someone can have an excellent credit score, but just an average insurance score because of the criteria used to figure each one. I, personally, don't know of a single company that doesn't use this and it can greatly effect your premium. I have seen the difference of hundreds (as much as a thousand) in premium due to an insurance score. Some companies only run the first named insured's score. Some run both named insureds. If your premium is affected by yours, ask your agent to run your spouses score. It could be much better and save premium dollars. Some companies, if you have been with them awhile, don't run it every year. If you think it might have improved, have them run it again at renewal. Don't ask for this if you have had any adverse credit occurrences lately.

2014 Winnebago Vista 35B Class A. 2010 Honda CR-V.

They are called insurance scores and are totally different than a credit score.

Thanks for the good information! So do you have any idea of just what it is the information tells them? I have looked at mine many times and see very little that isn't credit related. I believe that it does show most court filings and such but.............. Interesting subject!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I am in insurance agent and even I can't tell you the criteria that goes into the score. Where as there is a pretty clear set of criteria determining a credit score, I was told one time by my underwriter that there were over 50 items that determine an insurance score and that even though your credit score may have something to do with it, there is much more that goes into it. I have seen executives with high value homes have just an average or worse insurance score. Presumably, it is based on criteria that determines not your credit rating, but the likely hood that you will have a loss. But, if you have a bad credit rating, you can be assured that your insurance score will be bad.

By the way, I have never seen a hit on one's credit score due to an insurance score. And, if you want to look at your insurance score, your agent can furnish a contact. The agent can't tell you anything other than the score because he/she doesn't know and he would not be allowed due to, anyway.

2014 Winnebago Vista 35B Class A. 2010 Honda CR-V.

• 2 months later...

I've been with them for 5 or 6 years now, and have had several claims, both on my MDT and the fifth wheel. They've been very easy to deal with, and fair and prompt in their payment of the claims. The disappearing deductible is also a vey nice feature.

Did your rates increase because of all of the claims? We will have had 2 claims in one year and I'm quite nervous.

Explorer RV has had me with Natl Interstate pretty much since 2003. We have had claims for glass, a lightning strike, and awning destroyed by wind. Their response/payment in each case has been fairly prompt and easy to deal with.

Did your rates increase because of all of the claims? We will have had 2 claims in one year and I'm quite nervous.

Archived