Pass Port Info

bobsallyh

First of all this issue is all on Sally and myself. Since we are slowly on our way to Yuma for the winter, I got to thinking, I wondered when our passports run out. Checked and they expire in December. Time flies when you are fulltiming and having fun. Went online for info and found out that the passports must be sent in with the renewal. Also the clerk at the Post Office here in Twin Falls, ID. was very helpful and friendly. So you are without them until they are sent back to you. Won't really affect us unless I need to go to the dentist in Algodones when getting to Yuma. Just wanted to make folks aware.

It won't take long. I think when I renewed mine a couple years ago it was back in 3 weeks

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

It wouldn't work in Idaho.. since there is no DOS passport agency there, but for others, you can expedite your renewal by submitting your renewal request in person at a DOS passport agency. Basically, you're cutting out the mailing and processing time of about 10 days by renewing in person at a passport agency, but you DO need to make an appointment. You can also opt to pay for the $60 expedite fee which will shave it down to about a week total by mail, or down to 2-3 days if you can pick it up in person.

When you renew, there is a section that asks you about your current passport. I know there is a common practice among avid international travelers when doing renewals to check the box that says "lost or stolen" so that they don't have to surrender their current passport. That's a risky business in this modern age. If your renewal app is processed when you happen to be traveling on your current, and still valid, passport, you 'could' find yourself on the wrong side of the border with a "flagged" passport.

A little tip if you get in a pinch: If you present a paid international flight ticket in person to a DOS passport agency, you'll have your new passport as soon as you need it... even same day service.

How long after it expires can you still renew it without going through the original process again?

I believe... 5 years? If you can produce your old passport when you renew. There may be some other requirements with that, but I dunno.

On edit: 16 years or older at date of issue, you can renew by mail within 15 years of the original date of issue. So.. 'kind of' 5 years. If you had a reissue within the first year, for whatever reason, then that would have changed your expiration date. So in rare circumstances, it would be 15 years from the 'original' date of issue.. not the adjusted expiration date for a first year reissue.

We just renewed through the Philadelphia, PA office. Yes you must send in your old passport to renew. Got them both back in less than three weeks. We planned ahead. Got the book and card.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

What exactly is a "card"? I always just get the book and have always been curious what the card is all about.

The card is acceptable for travel to & from Canada, Mexico, and I believe the Caribbean, but it is not good for most international travel. There are also some border states that have "enhanced" driver's licenses that can be used similarly.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The passport card can only be used to reenter the U.S., at land border-crossings or ports-of-entry by sea from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. It cannot be used for air travel.

We got the card because the only places we're going to go outside of the U.S., are Canada or Mexico, and I don't fly.

http://travel.state.gov/content/studentsabroad/en/travel-docs/passport-cards.html

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Residents of some states, including Washington State, can get an Enhanced Driver's License (http://www.dmv.org/driving-abroad/passport-license.php), instead of a Passport Card.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

The passport card can only be used to reenter the U.S., at land border-crossings or ports-of-entry by sea from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. It cannot be used for air travel.

We got the card because the only places we're going to go outside of the U.S., is Canada or Mexico, and I don't fly.

http://travel.state.gov/content/studentsabroad/en/travel-docs/passport-cards.html

We got the card also and I believe its only $30..We will not be going overseas anymore.

us.navy.sere.patch.16.jpg

Residents of some states, including Washington State, can get an Enhanced Driver's License (http://www.dmv.org/driving-abroad/passport-license.php), instead of a Passport Card.

Enhanced Driver's License *only* available in; Washington state, Vermont, New Youk, Michigan.

(Although the "specifics" section also includes Minnesota)

AZ, TX, and CA - "making progress".

(IMO) the mail-in application -vs- a trip to the CA DMV would be akin to comparing brushing your teeth to a root canal.

Actually the root canal would still be preferable, LOL

Likewise the (CA) federal locations to get the card "on the spot".

Might be quick when you get to the actual office - but everyting leading up to that (due to the locations) would be your worst nightmare.

Mail is/was quick and easy - card in about 2-3 weeks w/o any "expedite" request.

~

In Washington State, an Enhanced Driver's License costs $72 and is good for six years.

The Adult Passport Card is $30 and is good for ten years.

Think I'll stick with the Passport Card! ;)

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

As I understand it....Since Washington state grants drivers licenses to persons in the country illegally a Washington state drivers license is NOT acceptalble Federal ID.

I cannot even enter the Forest Service Regional Office in Portland unless I have a legally recognized FEDERAL ID. So I always carry my passport just in case I want to visit my old friends that are still working!!

The Wasihington state EHANCED ID is similar to a NORMAL drivers license issued by most states. The Washngton state enhanced license DOES certify that you are in the country legally.

That is what I understand....could be wrong....and things change daily.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

passport agency

"If you are traveling internationally in less than 2 weeks or need to obtain a foreign visa within 4 weeks, you are eligible to schedule an appointment at this passport agency with proof of travel. Will call (pickup) service is offered for life or death emergencies and immediate travel."

I don't understand why some people get both the book and the card. The book covers everything the card does so why pay for it as well?

The card fits in your wallet so it's more convenient to carry than the book, especially for folks that drive across the border frequently. But the card doesn't cover flying, so you still need to get the book for that.

Archived