TX non-commercial class A license... WWYD

Second Chance

There are many threads on the forum discussing this topic but I didn't find an answer to my specific question - so here goes. Our fifth wheel has a GVWR of 13,990 lbs. Our 2500HD had a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. This combination put us a couple of thousand pounds under the threshold for needing a non-commercial class A license to drive the rig and I only have a class C license. Here's the rub: In January we traded trucks (we had to do this out of state, of course) and now have an F350 DRW with a GVWR of 13,300 lbs. and a GCVWR of 30,000 lbs. The way I read the Texas regulations, this clearly puts me in the class A license bracket - regardless of what the rig actually weighs.

We are not currently in Texas and may not be for some time. In fact, we're headed away from Texas toward California at this time. I've tried calling the TX DMV driver licence office in El Paso and just get shunted to the new central phone system without any possibility of speaking with a real human. What would you do? Do I need to cancel plans and head back to Texas to get this taken care of (would NOT make my wife happy!)? Is it reasonable to bake a detour south on our route back from CA to TN in a few months? Does anyone know any tricks for actually getting to speak with someone at the Texas DMV to see which offices offer the non-CDL tests? (The web site(s) only allow one to make an appointment for a standard DL or a commercial DL.)

Signed... "Kinda Concerned"

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

When I get an automated phone system I always dial zero. This usually gets me a real person. No reason not to try it.

Linda Sand

Tried it... depending on where in the system one is, it either starts the recorded message over or hangs up the call. This is true customer service!

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

If it were *me,* I'd continue with my trip and take care of getting the upgraded license when I returned to Texas.

In fact, that's pretty much what we did when we bought an MDT. We were in Arizona when we bought it and didn't return to Texas for several months.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I would not even worry about it.

Steve and Joy

Amateur Radio Operator WZ1T . . .  Flex 6600 M,  Flex PGXL, Flex TGXL, 

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . Lincoln MKX Toad

The Kids . . . Yogi the Yorkie  passed 10/20/2018. . . Cookie the Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017 . . . Cooper the Aussie Doodle passed 3/10/2020

Abbie  and Abel  the Doodles . . . Brother and Sister Born 02/02/2020   . . . Lucy the Yorkie . . . and Axel  . . .The Bernie Doodle

Where We Are Now

Absolutely would not worry about it...but if you want to try and reach a real person try and call the office in Livingston. 936-327-6806 They are usually very good at answering questions the Escapees might have since they deal with them on a regular basis. Hope this helps!

Driving any combination vehicle (truck and trailer) with GVWR => 26,000 lbs requires a Class A license. For some reason, a single (motorhome) over 26k can be driven with a Class B non-commercial. Donno why difference.

As you already know, you can (and should) satisfy this with a Texas NON-commercial license. You have to take the driving test w a trailer attached. The tested driving maneuvers are different from those for a single vehicle.

Something to consider in evaluating your risk factor for not getting one once you get here is if you have an accident--your fault or another's--you will be driving without a license. Probably won't make your insurer happy

Pebbledropper

2008 Country Coach Allure 470 38'

425 Cummins, 4 slides, tag

2014 4-dr Jeep Rubicon

Driving any combination vehicle (truck and trailer) with GVWR => 26,000 lbs requires a Class A license. For some reason, a single (motorhome) over 26k can be driven with a Class B non-commercial. Donno why difference.

You are mistaken. Driving any combination (truck and trailer) with GVWR >26,000 lbs does not require a Class A. It only requires a Class B or Class C.............unless the trailer GVWR exceeds 10,000 lbs. Also, if the motorhome (above 26,000 lbs GVWR) you're driving is towing a trailer which exceeds 10,000 lbs, it also would require a Class A license.

The difference is that in one case you're towing a trailer over 10,000 lbs GVWR and the other case you are not.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Rob,

Just curious, about something else. I think you have the facts pretty well straight as far as the license requirements. Not all states have the same requirements, but recognize the licenses from which ever state they are issued. When we bought our HR last October, we purchased it in AZ, which, per se, didn't require the class B like TX, so there were no issues as far as the purchase. Maybe the drive back to TX would have become an issue had there been an accident, I don't know, and thankfully didn't encounter that issue.

The something else: If you purchased the truck out of state, what did you do regarding sales tax. We (on paper) delivered our coach to CA, picked it up in AZ and then drove it back to TX. We got drive out tags for the trip back, but the big issue that came up was the dealer and finance company didn't get us the necessary paperwork to register our vehicle in TX and pay the sales tax (2% difference between TX and AZ) until after the expiration of the 30 day limit that TX imposes. It was going to be nearly a $700.00 penalty because we didn't complete the registration process in their view of a timely manner (even though we couldn't due to the paperwork). I ended up having to go all the way to the TX State Comptroller's office to resolve the issue.

I know it's a different subject than your original post topic, but I just want to give you a heads up if you are driving on a temporary tag. Good luck.

Rob,

Just curious, about something else. I think you have the facts pretty well straight as far as the license requirements. Not all states have the same requirements, but recognize the licenses from which ever state they are issued. When we bought our HR last October, we purchased it in AZ, which, per se, didn't require the class B like TX, so there were no issues as far as the purchase. Maybe the drive back to TX would have become an issue had there been an accident, I don't know, and thankfully didn't encounter that issue.

The something else: If you purchased the truck out of state, what did you do regarding sales tax. We (on paper) delivered our coach to CA, picked it up in AZ and then drove it back to TX. We got drive out tags for the trip back, but the big issue that came up was the dealer and finance company didn't get us the necessary paperwork to register our vehicle in TX and pay the sales tax (2% difference between TX and AZ) until after the expiration of the 30 day limit that TX imposes. It was going to be nearly a $700.00 penalty because we didn't complete the registration process in their view of a timely manner (even though we couldn't due to the paperwork). I ended up having to go all the way to the TX State Comptroller's office to resolve the issue.

I know it's a different subject than your original post topic, but I just want to give you a heads up if you are driving on a temporary tag. Good luck.

No problems in that arena. The trade was straight across (no sales tax on the $250 admin fee for the even trade). I registered the truck by mail and the new Texas tags and sticker arrived from our Escapees mail service a week before the temporary tag expired. USAA has made the necessary changes on the insurance policy, so the only thing left is the driver's license.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Great. I almost messed my shorts when told that there was going to be that penalty. I did end up losing 2 months of registration on the transaction, though, but in the long run I guess it is better to register in Oct than Dec with all the kids and grandkids birthdays and Christmas.

Archived