South Carolina and HDT registration

ATCBoomer

So I'm moving to South Carolina in January and I am looking for any info on registering the Kenworth down there. I'm currently in New Jersey with the truck registered as a private truck. I'm hoping I can just do the same in South Carolina. Maybe if I just take the title and registration in and don't talk about what it is they will just swap it to SC plates and title. Thanks in advance.

Charlie (sclord2002) ought to be able to help you. He lives in Greenville. PM him if he doesn't respond soon to the thread.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Boomer, I live in Greenville SC and have my Volvo 780 registered as a motorhome. I have enough of the required things to be registered as a motorhome. I just don't know about private truck registration and tag fees for that type of registration. I would recommend that you look into registering as a motorhome or at least getting the real scoop on tags and registration of a motorhome vs a private truck. Sorry I couldn't be more specific on the private truck registration. Just be aware that you may get different answers from different people at SCDMV. Most are not familiar with converted motorhomes and probably not with class 8 private trucks. You will also need a SC class F license which is for "combination of non-commercial vehicles exceeding 26000 lbs GVW. Includes E,D and G. Includes trike-does not include MTC or MTC with sidecar." It seems that nothing is ever simple. Best of luck. It may be a challenge but it can be done. Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

I live in Simpsonville, SC and registered my Volvo 780 as a motorhome. The DMV did not have much experience registering it as a MH. I emphasized the beds, sink, micro and fridge. It saved a lot of money. They will look at the GVW and want to go down the commercial path but I mentioned RV and we got on the right track.

Good luck.

David

2016 Volvo VNL780 D13 I-Shift

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

wow, I pay 400 every six months for 2 trucks and 2 trailers through gmac/national general/camping world... might want to give them a call. The did not care how it was registered even when it was a commercial truck, as long as you pulled something with a living quarters that they insured.

wow, I pay 400 every six months for 2 trucks and 2 trailers through gmac/national general/camping world... might want to give them a call. The did not care how it was registered even when it was a commercial truck, as long as you pulled something with a living quarters that they insured.

Make sure you are doing a apple to apple comparison of coverage. I could greatly reduce my premiums if I was willing to do the same with my coverage.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Thanks for the inputs. I'm active duty military and a Texas resident so I have a Texas Class A non CDL that I will keep until I separate from the military. This should transfer to the SC class F with no problems. I'll look into the insurance company. I'm hoping the price will drop once I leave New Jersey.

Archived