HDT registered as Motor home in Maryland?

rockfish2001

Anybody have luck registering a HDT as a motor home in Md. I've read all that I can, and about Red rover having issues. How successful have you been, and how much did it cost you? I see some people go to a state like Montana and form a LLC to register their 5th wheel, and HDT. I'll be moving to Md. to retire, and don't like the cost of new duallys, and used ones ahave usually been used commercially. I can get a good used HDT, and still keep my 01 Dodge 2500 cummins. That way I don't need to worry about pin weight, or GVWR. The 5th wheel that I want is 16k gvwr, am I looking at this wrong?

Maryland doesn't care who owns a vehicle (LLC). If a vehicle is "garaged" (kept in the state) it needs to be licensed in Maryland.

There are a couple of HDTs that are licensed as motorhomes by only going to the licensing department with paperwork only. That is good until a Maryland enforcement officer gets involved.

As a motorhome, you still need a exempt CDL license and that can be the challenge because you can't use your "motorhome" to get one. That is where a Maryland enforcement officer is involved.

Having escaped the Communist Republic of Maryland, why would you want to retire to the land of high taxes?

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I'm selling my house, and business in Delaware for a lot less than needed to retire comfortably. I have a double wide that I moved to a lot that I own in Md., and there won't be any mortgage. If I sell that to stay in De. I'll still need to work to pay the difference in a 100k + mortgage.

For what it is worth I registered my HDT in De. from Ohio, in Ohio the previous owner had it as a motorhome and De. honored it and tagged it as a rv. This info is incase you stay in De. good luck

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

For what it is worth I registered my HDT in De. from Ohio, in Ohio the previous owner had it as a motorhome and De. honored it and tagged it as a rv. This info is incase you stay in De. good luck

Rockfish,

Have you bought a hdt yet ? Maybe look for a truck that already has a motorhome title. Find out from Maryland if the title from another state would transfer to a Maryland title. My truck came from Delaware and was transferred to an Ohio title with no problem. This is just an idea to help make your dream come true.

Good luck,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

I'll say again, a motorhome in Maryland with a 26,001 lb GCWR requires an exempt CDL license. You need a vehicle to take the test.

You can get an HDT registered as long as no enforcement officer is involved. Getting the drivers license is the challenge. The tester will not accept an HDT as a motorhome.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Getting the drivers license is the challenge. The tester will not accept an HDT as a motorhome.

If he has, or is able to upgrade to an Exempt license in his current state, he might get away with it. Most states seem to be willing to issue their class of license that is equivalent to whatever class of license the operator is surrendering (assuming that they offer an equivalent class) when changing domicile, and Maryland may, too. If his current state doesn't offer an Exempt license equivalent to what Maryland will require, or if he's unable to obtain one before he leaves that state, then the inability to test will be a deal breaker for him.

I could have obtained an Exempt Class A license from Texas when I "moved" here if I'd had one from Pennsylvania, but I was operating out of classification (neither the Kenworth nor I entered Pennsylvania during the brief time that it was registered there), so I was issued a Class C license and had to test for the upgraded license.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

I took my test through a local college. Rented a truck for 400$.

It was an old truck, manual 9 speed, with a 40 year old trailer, but it went around the block for me.

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

So can someone rent a diesel pusher for just the test?

That probably won't do it, Stekay. Here in Texas, for example (and many, if not most states that require upgraded licensing), a DP by itself requires an Exempt or Commercial Class B license (vehicle over 26,000# GVWR). An HDT/Fifth Wheel combination requires an Exempt or Commercial Class A (combination over 26,000# GVWR, which includes a trailer with a GVWR of 10,000# or more). The only way that a DP requires or qualifies the operator for a Class A license is if it's towing a trailer of 10,000# GVWR or more. Some people do indeed have rigs like that, but the chances of being able to rent a DP/large trailer combo for a driving test are mighty slim.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Archived