Air Brake Conditioner

kfrimr

A trucker friend gave me a bottle of Air Brake Conditioner. Have you ever used this product? It says in the small print Air Line Antifreeze and conditioner. In the directions it says to pour it into an Alcohol Evaporator jar, where is that? and what is that for? Never heard of it.

Kent

2003 Volvo VLN630
2016 38 RS3 Mobile Suite
2010 Smart behind the cab

FullSizeRender_zpsrtbccowj.jpg

Kent, having just replaced the compressor, feed lines and dryer assembly I have a pretty good handle on what is used on a Volvo with a D12 engine. The plumbing might be different on another engine.

Anyway, the air line from the compressor starts out as a steel pipe that wraps around the front of the engine, runs along the left side and transitions to a flexible hose at the very back of the engine. I considered adding a pre-dryer but to do that I would have to cut the steel line and weld on 1/2" NPT pipe fittings with a union for the install. The alcohol device Jim noted would require the same modification unless you decided to put it under the truck after the dryer. IMHO, that would be a total PITA. Volvo advises that NO alcohol or air line additive should be used in their system. If your dryer is working properly you should not have an issue with freezable moisture in the brake lines. You may get some water in your air tanks - I am sure you know they should be drained as part of every pre-trip inspection. From what I learned, if any water left in the bottom of the tanks should freeze the worse thing that could happen is blocking the drain valves.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Kent

All the air line alcohol containers I have seen are next to and before the dryer. There is no need for the use of the product, unless you will be in below freezing temp. for a long time.

I know there is another name for it, but at the rear axle all the air lines split to the different brakes is where the air line freezes first.

If your brakes do freeze, just take the metal line loose at the compressor and pour in the antifreeze and reconnect it and start the engine and it will blow the antifreeze through the line and open them.

If you are driving and the air line freezes the air pressure will drop to 60 psi. If you catch it soon enough you can pump the brake peddle several time and it will pump warn air into the lines and unfreeze them. On old units I will pump the brake every 15 to 20 minuets while driving in below 0 temps. to put warm air into the system.

The way most RVer travel there should not be a problem.

event.png

Glyn (KL0PG) & Diane Carson
2002 I-H 4400 Papa's Dream (Mama's Nightmare)
2015 Space Craft V400
Furkid Max

email: dlcarsonak@hotmail.com

Guest THE TRAILERKING

You'll find alcohol injectors on rigs in the colder climates. Lots of HOT air through COLD lines and tanks......Make lots of condensation.

Good working air drier. Always drain tanks of moisture. Like said above.....In the RV World should have no concern of driving in -40 and air issues. Most should be chasing the Sun.

Trailerking's advice is the same as mine. Unless you live and work in Alaska or Canada and do not have a good working air dryer you do not need any "treatment" for your airlines. Actually, you should have little to NO liquid in your air tanks when draining them. If you do, and continue to show anything there then your desiccant cartridge needs changing.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

If your brakes do freeze, just take the metal line loose at the compressor and pour in the antifreeze and reconnect it and start the engine and it will blow the antifreeze through the line and open them.

I still don't know what engine Kent has, but if it is a Volvo D12 it is between difficult to impossible to take the metal air line loose at the compressor to add alcohol without removing a whole bunch of other fasteners. But, there is an access port on the left side of the engine on the steel tube with a label beside it, "Air Brake Line". I do not know what type of valve is internal to the port, I am assuming it is for a test gauge, that would be the most likely injection point for brake line antifreeze when using the right fitting. But again, Volvo states not to add any antifreeze to the air brake system.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

On old units I will pump the brake every 15 to 20 minuets while driving in below 0 temps. to put warm air into the system.

What would be warming the air you are trying to pump in? The air from the compressor is warmed by compression, then cools as it heads for the dryer. The dryer removes the condensed moisture from the air.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

I've only read part of this thread. But after selling air brake valves for 30 years here is my opinion. Alcohol injectors for the air brake system started out of favor when Air dryers came on the market. They are still used in very cold climates.

If you are not running in cold very cold climates the damage that the alcohol does to the o rings and diaphragms in your valves is not worth it. Drain your tanks, keep your dryer serviced and stay out of the cold. JMO

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

Nobody watched Ice Road Truckers?

I've driven the same roads as those azz hats. I have nothing good to say about any of them. There used to be a grain of truth, but that went out the window when they went overseas.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Guest THE TRAILERKING

....the damage that the alcohol does to the o rings and diaphragms in your valves is not worth it. Drain your tanks, keep your dryer serviced ...

Yes back in the day when there were no driers........People would always use alcohol. It would ruin seals eventually.

There is a bit of conventional wisdom that works really well. Once it gets really cold out, keep your stuff outside so it stays acclimatized.

Worst thing you can do for the air brake systems is cycle it in and out of a heated building. Just think of all that warm, moist air you are sucking in inside the heated shop.

I'm not sure what the dew point range on a properly operating air dryer is, but I wouldn't think you're going to get much better than -40* out of it. Does anyone know the correct answer?

Same goes for air leaks to some extent. Try and find them outside if you can, the truck may not leak much at all once it has a chance to warm up.

If you are going to use "alcohol" at all, make sure its Methyl Hydrate with lubricants, and add it DOWNSTREAM from the air dryer!!

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

I've driven the same roads as those azz hats. I have nothing good to say about any of them. There used to be a grain of truth, but that went out the window when they went overseas.

Lol. I think a good few of us have found much worse places to get into trouble.

Geo

84059969.jpg

19c9e5bc.jpg

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Lol. I think a good few of us have found much worse places to get into trouble.

Geo

]

Great pic, looks like trailer made tracks, but truck didnt. Dare i ask?

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

Great pic, looks like trailer made tracks, but truck didnt. Dare i ask?

Slipperiest road I've ever been on, much worse than ice and snow.

Wet clay like snot. I was being pulled in 3 feet behind a Cat. The trailer took off for the ditch and all you could do was watch. Near a miracle it didn't go all the way over.

The guy I was with stopped his 1-ton on the crown of the road just behind me. When he got back in, put his foot on the brake, shifted into reverse and took his foot off the brake. Pickup slid 12' sideways straight into the ditch without him ever touching the accelerator.

You can see the tracks going sideways in this one.

9aeed808.jpg

15a9cf2d.jpg

171d9a3f.jpg

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Used to ride motorcycle enduros around here...Orange Clay mud...Stuff was so slick you couldn't hardly stand up, let alone push the motorcycle to a spot where you could crank it. Did I mention the 10 or 15 pounds of the stuff that sticks to your boots...

The pictures above are exactly what I hated about construction work...

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

Exactly so. There are some kinds of mud that simply shouldn't be allowed.

The usual problem. Bad communications, someone took some initiative they shouldn't have and so we blocked the road for 14 hours.

About 145,000 lbs of abject misery. Licensed for 137,500, but you always allow a bit to blow off during transport :)

I'm always willing to learn, but some days I don't like being taught.

But on the subject at hand, don't put stuff in your airlines unless you have a compelling reason. If you are having frozen brake problems, fix your air dryer. If you have an ongoing problem, I've heard that putting some brake line anti-freeze direct in your wet tank will gradually sort out the rest of your system.

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Can't get phone to Quote, but I typically size stationary air dryers to dry down to -40 to -45 dewpoint. This is on air systems in an industrial plant.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I'm guessing on a truck its going to depend on volume (cfm), the incoming air temp and dew point, and how old your dryer element is.

I did a little reading, and it seems like at best it might be better than -60 or better, and at worst not good news at all.

But that's a guess. Makes you think that a change just before winter really sets in might not be a bad idea. I hate thawing brakes.

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

George thanks for posting - brings back not fond mud and chains memories -

If you use any product in your system it should be Air Brake Antifreeze that has conditioner in it to help protect the rubber rings and parts of the system from the methanol.

Air brake Alcohol Evaporator goes downwind from air dryer if you install one. http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=10&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CEMQFjAJahUKEwiUyfb57q3IAhULNIgKHe1jDZY&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.haldex.com%2Fes%2Fnorteamerica%2Faplicaciones-y-productos%2FLiteratura%2FLiteratura-para-sistemas-de-freno-y-suspenision1%2FSecadores-de-aireLinea-de-aire%2F%3Fpdf%3D%252FDocuments%252Fhbsna%252FAirline-Air_Dryers%252FAlcohol_Evaporator_A72420_Instructions_(English-Spanish)_L31072_4-02.pdf&usg=AFQjCNG3HSZa-3Lav7aQ_RMxeBgMlRHF6A

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Archived