Class of 2017

Tumbleweed

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope there is room for at least two more in the class of '17 :D . We're looking for a magic date of July 1, 2017 and easing into it day by day. Last weekend I was in on another multi-family yard sale. There is something very sad about watching some of it go. There is something about having treasures gathered over a lifetime that folks want to bargain you down to 25 cents for. It's hard. But then afterward you see the progress of letting go of stuff ! Slowly but surely the space opens up and somehow there is more freedom.

We had a good test this weekend. A short four-day trip, with four days of steady rain. Well we found out we could live with each other in a small space so I guess all is a go. :lol::lol::lol:

We've picked out the floor plan of our bigger full-timing rig, Are going to be attending RV shows in Sep; t and again if Feb if we don't have the fabric and a good deal nailed down by then.

Which reminds me something I wanted to ask, when IS the best time to buy a rig? One of the shows? The dead of winter? Or maybe just with a trusted dealership. We'd really like to hear comments on that aspect of FT-ing.

Leslie (and Mike)

I had a TV around here, a black and white job, but after I built it, I lost interest. Heinlein.

Hope there is room for at least two more in the class of '17 :D . We're looking for a magic date of July 1, 2017 and easing into it day by day. Last weekend I was in on another multi-family yard sale. There is something very sad about watching some of it go. There is something about having treasures gathered over a lifetime that folks want to bargain you down to 25 cents for. It's hard. But then afterward you see the progress of letting go of stuff ! Slowly but surely the space opens up and somehow there is more freedom.

We had a good test this weekend. A short four-day trip, with four days of steady rain. Well we found out we could live with each other in a small space so I guess all is a go. :lol::lol::lol:

We've picked out the floor plan of our bigger full-timing rig, Are going to be attending RV shows in Sep; t and again if Feb if we don't have the fabric and a good deal nailed down by then.

Which reminds me something I wanted to ask, when IS the best time to buy a rig? One of the shows? The dead of winter? Or maybe just with a trusted dealership. We'd really like to hear comments on that aspect of FT-ing.

Leslie (and Mike)

Welcome to the class and good luck with your RV shopping. As we haven't bought our rig yet I'll defer to others as to the best time to purchase.

Larry

Ex-Navy / Retired Coast Guard CWO w/ 34 Years Total Service.

Goals: 2022 - Retire from my CG civilian job, sell our house, and begin full-timing.

Hi IdeLvice, (Love the name).....we're in your class as well hoping to leave early 2017. It will depend on time frame to sell the house but we'd like to market it around April of 2016, so if it would sell quickly, we'll be gone. :) In answer to your one question about buying a rig.....it's funny you asked that. We are going to the Hershey RV show with intentions of purchasing there. We narrowed it down to a Grand Design Solitude but after talking to the dealer, because there were special things we wanted to full-time, we actually made the better deal just sitting down and bargaining at the dealer earlier. If you are looking for what they have to show, then yes...you might get a better deal at the show, but if you are special ordering anything...you're probably better off to just sit down and bargain away from the crowds and yes...with a trusted dealership and salesperson!!! Our new rig should arrive soon and we are sure anxious to get started, but best of luck to you in your search! That's half the fun! R u by chance going to the Hershey show???

Gracie's Golden Getaway

Barry and Marianne traveling full-time with Golden Retriever Maggie

2014 Ford F-450 DRW Super Heavy Duty Lariat with

2015 Solitude 305RE since June 2016.

Leslie & Mike:

Welcome to the class of 2017. There is always room for more; the more the merrier.

If you live in a northern climate you may be able to negotiate a better deal in the fall as the dealer may not want to carry the inventory late in the year. I would determine, before negotiating, what discount percentage can be obtained off the MSRP. You can do this by using google.

We haven't started liquidating our stuff yet. We were originally going to store some in a storage locker. Our current thinking is to get rid of it. We will give the items that have family significance to our kids. Our larger ticket items, (roll top desk, snow blower, etc.) we will sell. The smaller stuff we will probably give away.

I know what you mean when you say it's hard to see stuff go for pennies on the dollar. My concern is that if I ever need to buy it again I will have to pay top dollar. On the other hand we have determined that we would want different stuff anyways. It remind me of when my grandfather got rid of his stuff to move in with one of his kids. He didn't price his stuff for the yard sale based upon what he could get - if he liked something he priced it high; if he didn't he priced it low.

I want to start getting our house ready for sale in 2015 and start eliminating our stuff in the second half of 2016.

Again, glad to have you on board the class of 2017.

Our target date is May 2017.

Dave

2008 Airstream 34’ Classic Trailer

Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins CTD

Hi Class of 2017!

Well a lot has happened since the last time we posted. Looks like we will be fulltiming this winter, although not really. Target date for taking off is mid 2018 but out daughter wants our house now! We are looking into her renting our house to own and paying half of the mortgage while we move into the 5er! This means first of all that we needed a 5er that is more suited to full time cold weather use than the one we currently own. Check. Next week we head to Kansas to pick up a used 2004 Mountain Aire that has better insulation , thermopane windows and the skirting we will need and has been lived in fulltime. Then we need to get 50 Amp service and insulated water line done. We are having the area between 2 buildings on the farm leveled and graveled so we will be in a wind protected spot. Sewer is the tricky part. We have been boondocking in our yard often this summer to get away from the noisy grand kids and rolling the "poop wagon" over the bumpy yard to the septic system is NOT going to work on a long term basis! We are most likely going to have a holding tank and periodic pump service. A 500 gallon propane tank will round out the set up. Some times we both think we are crazy!!!!! We will be living fulltime in an RV but without the benefit of changing scenery for 4 years!! On the flip side: we have a buyer for our house who will take it as is and finish the renovations- and a set -up to come home to whenever we want with full hook ups and no fees. We can down size NOW instead of having to wait til the last minute and hoping the house sells right away. The day hubby retires we can hit the road! Once the house is sold we can use those funds to order our dream rig! Considering that we are tired of keeping up with a big house and only live in 3 rooms anyhow, maybe we are not so nuts - or are we???? Your thoughts?

Patti

"RINGO" 2005 VOLVO 670 D12 465hp/Freedomline Transmission 3.42 w/locker and smart car bed.

By Gregg Shields at RVHAULERS

“Penny Lane” 2018 DRV HOUSTON

"ABBEY" 2013 smart for-two Passion

"Tilly" Irish Wolfhound/lab mix  ( Good Memories)

Piedmonte.....no right or wrong way to full-time. If this works for you now....then wonderful for you! :)

Gracie's Golden Getaway

Barry and Marianne traveling full-time with Golden Retriever Maggie

2014 Ford F-450 DRW Super Heavy Duty Lariat with

2015 Solitude 305RE since June 2016.

• 2 weeks later...

Piedmontexpress Bill & Patti:

I don't think that you are crazy. Here is a blog ( http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com/ ) of a couple who leased out their house to several of their children and lived fulltime in their 1982 Newell motorhome for two years until retiring. They wanted to see if they could go from a large house to living fulltime in their motorhome before going on the road fulltime. They lived in a county park two miles from their sticks & bricks house for two years. They love fulltiming and it is fun to read their blog.

I can't tell what part of the country you live in. If it's in the north the winters can be very cold even for the best insulated RV's. It can be done but it is a real challenge. There are many threads on this topic.

I sent you a private message about my wife's job many weeks ago but never heard anything. I hope you received it.

You are welcomed to stay part of this class. Membership is dynamic as many times our plans change - moving the date out; moving the date up; etc. With enough interest it could become the class of 2017 / 2018.

Dave

Dave

I don't think an early start on living in the rv fulltime is crazy at all, I'm a little jealous. A buyer and some additonal income!

But we have made big strides in our progress to a 2017 date. We did another big yard sale in August. We just sold our reenacting stuff this week, and Friday we picked out our new home for our future, and will pick it up tomorrow night. We accidently ran into exactly what we wanted and during a show weekend (its used so wasn't actually at the show, but got benefits from it being the same time.) The one thing I wanted from my wish list that I never thought I would get is a fireplace. Just wanna say thanks to the powers that be for finding it. :o:):D It will give us a couple of years to make it home.

Happy campers "R" us!

I had a TV around here, a black and white job, but after I built it, I lost interest. Heinlein.

IdeLVice:

Congrats on getting your future home.

You must be excited.

Dave

You could say that! :D Though a little apprehensive on backing up something that much bigger.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

IdeLVice:

Did you pick up you new home?

Dave

YES! So love it and so lucky to have found it. It's a Crossroads Sunset Trail. I've been RV ing in one for or another since the early '80s and have never heard of a Crossroads until we saw this one. (Yeah, I've been under a rock I guess) :P It's a 2012 so not even very old. And looks like it was lightly used. We've been out in it every other weekend since then, and planning all weekends thru Halloween.

I even bought a lottery ticket LOL. I'm ready and DH is getting very close. Sigh. 998 days to go.....

Leslie

Ugh, that was depressing. Seems I have 1079 days to go 'til I am Free! Oh well, journey of a thousand miles...

Possibly yet another change in plans though, I originally was going to buy the rig around July of 2017. I'm now thinking about moving that up several months to a year. My thought is that I can use it on weekends & vacations to 'get to know' the rig and do some of the upgrade stuff (solar, batteries, etc.). That way I'm not waiting until the last minute before jumping off to do all of that. Plus, it will be practice for when I really do graduate to full time!

I have narrowed it down to 'the rig' being a 30-35 foot fifth wheel. I actually had to put together a complete spreadsheet of everything I could think of versus rig types and a shorter fifth wheel appears to fit me the best.

Russ

Russ:

It's much easier if you think of the remaining time in terms of years rather than days. 1079 days sounds like it will never get here.

You have less than 3 years to go. Better hurry up and get ready as it will go faster than you think.

Dave

Dave

Yeah, I know. It was actually kind of exciting back about 3 weeks ago to know that it was exactly 3 years to go! I've even got it marked on the calendar the very earliest date I can make reservations at my very first campground. I'm even tempted to drive down and actually decide on the site. Yeah, I'm looking forward to it that much.

I've decided that the very first day out, I'm not going to do a thing except maybe sit in the shade and read a good book.

Russ

I've decided that the very first day out, I'm not going to do a thing except maybe sit in the shade and read a good book.

Russ

I like the way you think. I was sort of planning that for the first month. Soooo many books, so little time. lol

Leslie

Possibly yet another change in plans though, I originally was going to buy the rig around July of 2017. I'm now thinking about moving that up several months to a year. My thought is that I can use it on weekends & vacations to 'get to know' the rig and do some of the upgrade stuff (solar, batteries, etc.). That way I'm not waiting until the last minute before jumping off to do all of that. Plus, it will be practice for when I really do graduate to full time!

Russ

That's one of the reasons we got ours early, and it's paying off. We've been able to add or change things we've really wanted while there are still full-sized paychecks. Plus we take advantage of bargains when we run into them.

It did not come with the vent covers, (Maxx Air) and I really wanted to do that since one of the vents is directly over the bed. We paid for it and got it installed free at a "Family Weekend Campout", sponsored by our dealer.

I also bought one of those portable ice makers. They're sort of pricey ($200) but got one on sale and with free shipping in a catalogue sale. Though we did talk long and hard about the ice machine since it is kind of heavy, but turns out to be one of the best things we've purchased, and I am willing to give up other things to keep it, and keep the weight down. We no longer have to buy any ice. It makes enough for two large drinks in about 15 minutes. Then it fills itself up while you're drinking them! LOL I was surprised.

There's been other small things, but we are making it a kind of 'home and hearth' comfy for us. And I get to enjoy it now!

(And I'm getting darned good at backing it up between trees :lol: .)

On the flip side: we have a buyer for our house who will take it as is and finish the renovations- and a set -up to come home to whenever we want with full hook ups and no fees. We can down size NOW instead of having to wait til the last minute and hoping the house sells right away. The day hubby retires we can hit the road! Once the house is sold we can use those funds to order our dream rig! Considering that we are tired of keeping up with a big house and only live in 3 rooms anyhow, maybe we are not so nuts - or are we???? Your thoughts?

Patti

Patti

The DW and I have done exactly what you are thinking about doing. We have been living in our RV for the past 3 years now and still love it. The DD has the house that was too big for just my wife and I and our DD lost hers do to financial issues. So we just let her have the house with the grandkids and we have the RV. Feel sorry for her to have to clean such a big area. Ours just takes and hour or so for a full cleaning. :)

logo.png
imadtchmn (I'm a Dutchman)
1998 Chevy Silverado Dually 6.5L TB Diesel w/plenty of power mods
2004 Dutchmen Classic 33LRK 3 slides
Class of 2016 Come visit our Class

event.png

We're getting there one day at a time. Wishing for a fast forward button.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All:

Slowly but surely we are getting closer to 2017 !!!

We are beginning to work on our house to get it ready for sale. There is a lot to do - painting the rooms and making repairs to cracks in the walls, etc.

We will need the two years to get it completely ready to show.

Has anybody else in the class of 2017 done anything to start to get ready to fulltime?

Dave

Dave

Just like you, I'm neck deep in house renovations, garage sales, Craig's List, planning/researching, RV shows, etc. I finally had to sit down and work out an actual timeline Word document to help me remember all the things to get done and when. The final entry is this:

October 1st 2017

Jump off!?

First stop, Sebastian Inlet State Park

Can't wait to check that one off!!

Russ

Archived