In-dash radio radio removal question

Boogity

In our Winabago MiniWinnie the radio has quit working. After checking the obvious things like fuses without success I would like to remove the radio for further investigation. There are 2 small holes on each side to the radio faceplate that tell me that there must be a tool or a way to release the radio mounting device to allow the radio to be removed by sliding straight out. I have tried many things in my toolbox and in my shop without any luck. Do any of you have experience with this type of radio installation? I have a picture but can't figure out how to include it in this post without sending it to a photo website. This just ain't my day.

This might work . . .

post-7375-0-94543000-1483557176_thumb.jpg

Take a coat hanger, bend it in a "U" shape to fit in the holes each side. Make the legs about 2" long & even. Shove them in the holes, and spread them away from each other. Having a 3rd hand or other , uh, appendage, stick it in the tape hole & pull out. The real tool has notches on the legs, and can be used to pull out, so improvise

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

Thanks guys. I made and used the two "U" shaped coat hangar wires. Everything worked OK until today when I realized that the left side of the radio is hanging up on something from behind. I really don't want to get up under the dashboard but maybe I will have to pull the engine cover out. Nothing is easy is it.

I have used both the Ford radio removal "tools" purchased from an auto parts store, and also home-made ones from coat hangers. The coat hangers worked great on my Ford Expedition, not so well on the motorhome radio. I would try the commercial tools before going extreme.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

Fool w/ the wires more. Since they are not the "correct" tool, sometimes they need to be in further, and the radio needs to be removed "square" with the dash face, not tilted or the little buggers in there continue to hang up.

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

Keep in mind that you have a wiring harness and antenna wire attachment. In addition, some radios will have a "brace" attached to the back of the radio. Any one of these can making removing more difficult. Chuck

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

Archived