Heater when boondocking

maggie blair

I am fairly new to Boondocking and I'm wondering if anyone could recommend an inside heater for my 26 foot class A motorhome? I have been running off of my batteries because my neighbors do not really want me to run the generator. Several of the people have made suggestions about an inside heater that connects into my propane tank but would not use my batteries. Does anyone out there in Escapee land know of any that they could recommend that might be better than others?

Maggie Blair

We use a blue flame heater manufactured by Mr Heater. It works great. Ceramic heaters are also popular. We use the blue flame as much as we can because it is much less expensive to operate. This said non vented propane heaters add moisture into the air. In the Arizona desert we have found this not to be a problem. On the other hand when up north in Alaska where the temperatures get colder the blue flame adds too much moisture so we switch to the furnace during the coldest parts of the day, i.e. night. Stay warm.

Later,

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

We had an Empire. Another brand is Olympian.

We used ours for 16 years and would highly recommend one if you boondock a lot. They give a quiet, constant heat unlike a furnace. Since you have a 26' make sure you don't get a big one or it'll run you out of the RV.

We never slept with it and we like sleeping in a cold room. The first one up in the morning turns it on and in 10 minutes the RV is warmed.

Make sure you have a carbon monoxide monitor but ours never went off. If used correctly they are absolutely safe.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

We tried a Buddy Heater to start but had issues. We then switched to a couple of small catalytic heaters but when we found ourselves in an exceptionally cold winter, we bought a 10,000 BTU Kozy World Ceramic heater. We tapped into the propane line at the water heater. After a shutoff valve, a hose with quick disconnect ran into the living area. After that we were warm an comfy. As previously mentioned, you need to be aware of moisture and carbon monoxide issues. Proper venting and a CO alarm are a must.

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

We also like the Olympian unit. Our Wave 8 heats our 5th wheel very well. No batteries required. As others have mentioned, we watch our CO levels. We also use a quick disconnect with a shut off valve.

Warren & Sandy

2006 New Horizons 36 ft 5ver

2003 Freightliner FL60 - Mountain Master conversion

I use a ProCom ceramic brick heater. Its the sister of the Empire line. Its dual fuel so can be used on NG too. O2 sensor as well. Love it. We install it only when needed. I tapped a quick connect fitting into the LP line under the cook top as we dont use the heater much when cooking, so we are SURE to disconnect it when not in use. Great set up.

Marcel

Its ok to have an O2 sensor (carbon dioxide ) but the more important sensor is the CO sensor which measures carbon monoxide also known as the silent killer.

We use a buddy heater during the day with windows cracked, at night we either use nothing or the 12 volt main furnace. Or if at a hookup we use electric ceramic heaters.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Maggie I can sympathise with your neighbors not wanting to listen to your gen running all night. Especially if its the big gas gen built in, they can be fairly loud. For this reason I carry a small Honda 2000i gen that quietly purrs away and can be barely heard by neighbors. I use it much more than my big diesel gen. If you know its going to be a very cold night it would not hurt to let it run during the night. At least that way you can use your safe 12 volt furnace during the night.

I have been in a few boondocking situation where some clown has a construction generator that roars away at all hours and annoys the crap out of everyone. It takes all kinds.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

• 4 weeks later...

We also like the Olympian unit. Our Wave 8 heats our 5th wheel very well. No batteries required. As others have mentioned, we watch our CO levels. We also use a quick disconnect with a shut off valve.

That's exactly what we do, and have done since 1992. First had a Wave 5, but as our units grew, we went with a Wave 8. We have always felt comfortable even sleeping with them turned on, but do open 2 windows just a little, one in front, and one in the rear. Supplies fresh air, plus reduces the moisture a LOT!

Dick & Susan T

2006 Volvo VNL 630(VED12 400HP)
10 speed autoshift,3.58 gear 236" twin screw, w/ET, Jackalopee, Blue Dot
2016 Space Craft 37'

Blu/Dot, Dexter 8K triple axel, HD Drum hydraulic brakes

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

• 2 months later...

I have the wave 8 in my cabin and vent it, open windows a crack.

Even with venting I found that sometimes I would wake up with a headache. Maybe it was the wine, lol. I use it at night at the cabin on really cold nights while sleeping. In the RV I prefer to follow the warm weather. I think when it gets cold I will go south.

Archived