DirecTV: "Missing Guide Data"

Admittedly, my system is old. I have had my DirecTV HR-23 receiver for some 8 years, and it has worked well. But recently I have been getting the error message "Missing Guide Data" Error 920 and I am missing guide data. I have reset my dish and receiver, same results. So I called tech support and they reset the receiver from their end as well, but the error message keeps coming back. Typically, I have about one daus Guide Info, the rest is missing program information.

If I go through the satellite setup I get the error message "Errors found on both tuners". Specifically, Sats 99, 103 and 119 have a red "X" in both tuners. And when I check the setup all settings are correct (04- Slimline 5, 2- Multiswitch, Dual tuners). Further testing gets me "Error Code 82: Incorrect signals received. The 119 orbital slot is configured, but not detected."

I am prepared to get a new tuner, and I am eligible for a free update. But I won't be anywhere near my home base until end September. So no way I can have the dish updated to SWM and the receiver to the new Genie until then. So I'm wondering if someone is familiar with these settings and can provide any help?

John

2015 Entegra Aspire 44B diesel pusher with 2017 GMC Acadia Denali toad
Web site, albums, blog and more here

John:

It looks as if, for some reason, the system isn't seeing the 119 satellite. It's my understanding that the pre-SWM 101/110/119 systems were set to receive their guide data from 119 and, prior to converting to SWM I saw that same message one time when a tree was blocking 119. That time the customer service person told me a trick that would force the system to download the guide from 101. I don't know if the trick still works but it did a couple of years ago.

What he told me to do was set up simultaneous recordings on both tuners for SD stations that you know have to come from the 101 satellite. That "forces" the system to only be looking at 101 and that, somehow, forces it to download guide data from it. What I did was pick two shows that were on in the wee hours of the morning and set repetitive recordings of both of them. They have to be shows that are on at the same time, of course. I know it sounds a bit flakey but it did work for me that time.

The red "X"s on your setup screen make it seem as if you're not getting 99 or 103 either. You'd know that because your HD programming wouldn't be there. Are you experiencing that also?

Joel

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Try changing the setting too. Slimline 3, 2- Multiswitch, Dual tuners. Then it should quit looking for guide on the 119.

A long time ago I got the same message of no guide. And even today after switching my 5LNB to a SWM and have a Genie I leave it on the 3LNB setting.

And also get some red X's yet today but everything works with no problem.

Even after switching to the 3LNB at times the receiver would pop up that it has been 6 hours or such since guide downloaded. But the guide was usable.

HR23-700 is in my bedroom yet. But hasn't had the guide problem for a long time now. Now it is set on SWM 3LNB 2 tuners.

When I get back too my winter spot last of September I am going to move my outside H25 to the bedroom and drop the $7 a month HR23.

Already dropped a HR20 off when they went to $7 added a HDMI switch for that TV and will be running a HDMI cable to the outside TV from the Genie HDMI switch.

I may even run a HDMI cable to the bedroom TV and do away with the H25. The Genie I can run from the RF remote from the bedroom and outside the MH..

DirecTV is getting bad as a KOA with all their extra charges.

If I get rid of all the extra receivers then I will see if DTV will drop their $3 a month Whole Home Genie service. :)

Hated it when they started charging for sports programs that they won't let you drop. As I don't watch the ones they charge for.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

So I changed the setup to LNB3 and it looks like I got the guide OK. And, I get all the HD channels I am used to getting. So we'll see how this goes. Thanks, Biker56. Also thanks to Docj for the additional hints in case I still have problems.

Great to have this forum to find alternate solutions!

John

2015 Entegra Aspire 44B diesel pusher with 2017 GMC Acadia Denali toad
Web site, albums, blog and more here

Suggestion: If you are someplace for a week change your service address to that location and have them send you the new receiver. We had to do this when we were in Phoenix last winter. They are happy to send you a receiver to get the old one out of the system.

Archived