Thinking about DISH

Never have had dish service of any kind, always used over the air both at home and while traveling, most of the time not getting any or little TV, except in RV parks that supplied some type of cable TV service.

​What I am interested in is a setup that I can use at home and then use when traveling. So what type of set up do I need to accomplish this at the least expensive way?

Evan

2021 Winnebago 26t 27'1" LONG, TWO SLIDES, WALK A ROUNF BED  August delivery Picked up on the 8th

2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (toad)

2013 F150 EcoBoost

Escapee #97975

WIT Club #157495

Evergreen Winnies

1st RV 2010 Wildwood 5er bunk house

2nd RV used 2001 Itasca Suncrusier

3rd RV Winnebago 22R

4th & finial RV 2021 MW 26T Ford 450 Chassis with the new 7.3lT V8

We have a VIP 612 DVR use in both the sticks & bricks and in the fiver with a Winegard Trvel'er dish.

All you need to do is call dish (or on line chat) to change your service location to get locals wherever you are.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

What I am interested in is a setup that I can use at home and then use when traveling. So what type of set up do I need to accomplish this at the least expensive way?

Have DISH do a home install so you get a "fixed" dish at your home. Then consider a RV system like this which you can take on the road (you would also use these Wally receivers at your house).

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

I was having a conversation not long ago with someone about this very topic. I have the VIP-Z series box and a tailgater antenna. Couldn't find any reason why they couldn't be used at a stick n brick when not traveling. I figured if I was going to do that, I would just list the S&B as the current service address, and with a long run of cable, park the tailgater wherever it works best on the property. Then take it along when traveling. Then change the service address as I go. Seems to me Dish doesn't care a whole lot about where you are if you own your equipment-they might care more if it is their stuff though....

Ya just can't RV without a hitch.....!

What is a WALLY, VIP-Z, and a VIP-612DVR? Are they just different receivers?

I only have one TV and the wife and ALWAYS watch the same TV programs, and probably would not do any recording of TV for later viewing.

tinstarrvlr;

What you are saying is just sign up as a portable user and then use that at home and in the RV, correct?

Looking at DISH on line they have a home system starting at 49.95 and a portable one starting at 36.99 a month I think.

2021 Winnebago 26t 27'1" LONG, TWO SLIDES, WALK A ROUNF BED  August delivery Picked up on the 8th

2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (toad)

2013 F150 EcoBoost

Escapee #97975

WIT Club #157495

Evergreen Winnies

1st RV 2010 Wildwood 5er bunk house

2nd RV used 2001 Itasca Suncrusier

3rd RV Winnebago 22R

4th & finial RV 2021 MW 26T Ford 450 Chassis with the new 7.3lT V8

We use a 221K receiver with a Tailgater when we are on the road and when we are at out home base we just move the receiver into the house and hook it to a standard HD dish, Dish Network could care less just so long as we pay our bill. The only thing I would change is maybe the portable dish, I would go to a Pathway X2.

Another thing to do from the start is go with paperless billing, that easy it makes no difference where your billing address is on the account.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

I know I'll take a lot of heat from Dish Network fans, but if I were getting a new system for home and RV I would go with Direct TV. Their system uses one set of satellites for the entire country that are higher in the sky and closer together, making it easier to get get a clear view of all three. They also have wireless technology that makes installation in RV's a lot easier. Do your research and make an informed decision.

I know I'll take a lot of heat from Dish Network fans, but if I were getting a new system for home and RV I would go with Direct TV. Their system uses one set of satellites for the entire country that are higher in the sky and closer together, making it easier to get get a clear view of all three. They also have wireless technology that makes installation in RV's a lot easier. Do your research and make an informed decision.

Which satellites does Direct TV use?

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Yes, DirecTV use one set of satellites, two which (that carry the HD programming) are not accessible by any dome dish. To receive HD programming for DirecTV you need to use a Winegard Trav'ler or a ground tripod.

The wireless technology comes with the Genie receiver. The Dish Hopper also has a wireless client.

Also, if you choose to just use DirecTV SD programming, in 2019 DirecTV will be converting the KU band (the one that dome dishes can receive) to KA band, cutting out the RV world.

Also the KU band (all Dish satellites) uses a longer wave and is more rain resistant.

Yes, do the research.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

What you are saying is just sign up as a portable user and then use that at home and in the RV, correct?

Personally, I would have Dish install a fixed dish on my house and set me up with however many receivers I needed...this setup is free. Then I'd get whatever dish I wanted for the RV and take the receiver from the house and put it in the RV when traveling.

We have an automatic, roof-mounted Winegard Trav'ler on our RV that *sees* all three satellites at the same time. However, if you only have one TV and you're not interested in recording any programs, then a dome would work fine for you and is less expensive than having a Trav'ler installed. If I were going to buy a dome, I'd get the Pathway X2, since it will receive both WA (Western Arc) and EA (Eastern Arc) satellites (not all at the same time, of course, since all domes only *see* one satellite at a time). The Pathway X2 works with a limited number of receivers...see the link that Zulu provided, above.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

And another thing . . .

Besides the fact that OP was asking about DISH and not DirecTV, if you compare DISH's and DirecTV's top of the line DVRs (Hopper 3 & Genie, respectively), the Hopper 3 blows the Genie out of the water.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

And another thing . . .

Besides the fact that OP was asking about DISH and not DirecTV, if you compare DISH's and DirecTV's top of the line DVRs (Hopper 3 & Genie, respectively), the Hopper 3 blows the Genie out of the water.

Yes! I am really enjoying my Hopper3 and it is being "fed" by my Dish 1000.2 with Hybrid EA LNB which I mount on a heavy duty surveyors tripod. Easy to set-up and can receive everything dish has to offer. Hopper3 will also record up to 16 programs at one time so there are NEVER any conflicts or decisions on which program to record.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

Which satellites does Direct TV use?

If my memory is working ok tonight, DTV uses sats at 99.2, 101, 102.8, 110, and 119. As I recall, most locations only use the first three, while others need the additional sats for their locals. Note that DISH also has sats at 110 and 119 in their western arc set, plus a third one at 129. The DISH eastern arc sats are at 61.5, 72.7, and 77, with the first two as the primaries. in my opinion and experience, having the DISH two arc choice greatly enhances aiming opportunities over a single set of sats.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Archived