Great info on 17.5 tires

Bigtrailer

A big "Thanks", goes out to everyone who had information on converting 16 inch wheels and tires to 17.5. I followed up on all the posts and with information, I used Shadow Trailer parts out of California. They will mount, balance and deliver to my door 4 ST215/75R17.5 Hercules H-902, 4806 pound load capacity, and 4 17.5 aluminum modular wheels with 9/16 nuts and center caps. They were helpful, as I asked for the DOT numbers for the year of the tires I was purchasing, and I was told they would be all 2015. I am in the trucking business, and have used Hancook, Hercules, Continental, Yokohama, Toyo, Michelin, and some of the other Chinese and American tires. All have plus and minus problems with them. Living in Arizona, with radiant heat from the asphalt over 170 degrees in the daytime, tires won't last if you drive over 60 mph. Most of us leave early in the morning, or during the night to avoid that problem.

Anyway Guys.... THANKS!

Bigtrailer

Hi Bigtrailer,

Thanks for posting your info. I need to change the wheels and tires on my trailer from 16" to 17.5". Can you tell me why you chose the Hercules tires ? I can get confused when it comes to tires. I have not chose what tires to run on the trailer. I know what tire I will not use. Maybe I should think about Hercules tires. Any help would be appreciated.

Al

PS; Do you have a web address for Shadow Trailer Parts ?

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Hi Al,

I ran trucks coast to coast for 35 years. Every person out there has is own opinion depending on his experience. Personally, what did it for me was the tire fella said they sell hundreds of the Hercules compared to all other brands. On semi trailers, I found Continental, Michelin, Hancook ,and Yokohama to last under the loads. I used Hercules on my drives and even steer axles. The price really wasn't what swayed me, but the total cost included FET, balance, steel valve stems, mounting, and shipping. No sales tax, no BS trying to sell me something I didn't want...... yeaaaaaa!

Having said all this, Hercules has the GVW rating, the highway speed of 75 mph, and high tire pressure and 16/32 of tread depth, I was comparing tires too.! Always check that, the more the better most of the time. Ask the people what year is on the DOT number. Most tires are good for 7-10 years max. Then..... you sell the casings to a tire shop for recap. Most will give you $50-75 casing credit for a virgin carcass. Your tires will be too good to just "leave at the tire shop". I guarantee they sell casings for a profit.

Bigtrailer

I got the 215/75R17.5 Load Range J 18 Ply Rated Continental HTL2 Eco Plus Radial Trailer Tire, with two mounted spares, I doubt I will wear them out. If I do have problems having two spares gives me time for getting replacements. We have the same tire on one of our lowboy trailers, they wear like iron and we have not had a problem in 3 yrs with them. I am hoping with the Mor-ryde and the tires the uncertainty will be gone while on the road and enjoy traveling more, not the constant worry about tires.

Hi armyret,

First, Thank You for your service to our country!

I just put a Mor-ryde system on my Holiday Rambler. I got talked out of air ride from several folks, although all my trucks have air. I only have 16,000 pounds loaded, so weight wasn't an issue.Continental tires have done me well. I think I have gotten 2 caps on a couple with 12/32 recaps.

You must have a heavy trailer!

Have you noticed any ride changes or tracking with the new install?

Bigtrailer

A big "Thanks", goes out to everyone who had information on converting 16 inch wheels and tires to 17.5. I followed up on all the posts and with information, I used Shadow Trailer parts out of California. They will mount, balance and deliver to my door 4 ST215/75R17.5 Hercules H-902, 4806 pound load capacity, and 4 17.5 aluminum modular wheels with 9/16 nuts and center caps.

My only concern with this is the 9/16" nuts. I have never seen 16" rims on an RV that had 9/16" wheel studs. This does not mean they do not exist, but every 16" rim I have seen on an RV was mounted on 1/2" wheel studs. I also just converted from 16" wheels to 17.5" wheels and had to get a 17.5" wheel with 1/2" wheel stud holes to fit my existing axles. Just make sure your trailer has 9/16" wheel studs if that is what you are getting with your new wheels. It would be very disappointing to end up with new wheels and tires that did not fit your existing axles. :wacko:

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Hi Bigtrailer,

Thanks for the info on the tires. I think that the Hercules tires could work for my trailer also. Did you talk to Shadow Trailer Parts over the phone ? Is the following web address the correct address for Shadow Trailer Parts, www.trailerandtruckparts.com ? If I am wrong can you please post the correct address ? I would like to talk to them myself. I need to upgrade my wheels and tires. I have had my problems with the wheels and tires that came on the trailer.

My trailer also has 9/16" wheel studs with disc brakes.

Thanks for your help,

Al

Yes, My Holiday Rambler has 9/16 nuts. I took a guage and measured. Didn't know that either.

Bigtrailer

Good to know. I figured you were right, it is just something I have not seen on a 16" wheel in the RV world.

2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)

event.png    

Chad, based on what I found back when I was contemplating the 17.5" wheel upgrade, on trailer axles with true 8,000# axles, the hubs have 9/16" studs. On trailers with 7,000# axles (even the ones with 8,000# brakes, like my Teton), the hubs have 1/2" studs. I needed wheels for 1/2" studs.

If I ever upgrade the suspension and go to 8,000# axles, as I'd like to do one day, I guess that I'll have to buy yet another set of seven wheels. :(

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Chad, based on what I found back when I was contemplating the 17.5" wheel upgrade, on trailer axles with true 8,000# axles, the hubs have 9/16" studs. On trailers with 7,000# axles (even the ones with 8,000# brakes, like my Teton), the hubs have 1/2" studs. I needed wheels for 1/2" studs.

If I ever upgrade the suspension and go to 8,000# axles, as I'd like to do one day, I guess that I'll have to buy yet another set of seven wheels. :(

After I thought about my previous posts, I realized that pretty much every RV trailer I have been around has had 7000 lb axles or lighter. This is why I have never seen 16" wheels with 9/16" studs in my RV experience. I have owned several equipment hauler trailers and they all had heavy axles and 9/16" studs, but my RV experience has been with the lighter axles. It makes sense that a true 8000 lb RV axle would have 9/16" studs with 16" wheels, but there aren't very many manufacturers putting true 8000 lb axle setups on 5ers in the RV world until you get into the high end heavy trailers.

event.png    

After I thought about my previous posts, I realized that pretty much every RV trailer I have been around has had 7000 lb axles or lighter. This is why I have never seen 16" wheels with 9/16" studs in my RV experience. I have owned several equipment hauler trailers and they all had heavy axles and 9/16" studs, but my RV experience has been with the lighter axles. It makes sense that a true 8000 lb RV axle would have 9/16" studs with 16" wheels, but there aren't very many manufacturers putting true 8000 lb axle setups on 5ers in the RV world until you get into the high end heavy trailers.

It doesn't make any sense to put 16" wheels on 8,000 lb. axles. If you are a high end trailer manufacturer why not just go and put on 17.5" wheels from the start. The most complaints that you hear about trailers always seems to involve the wheels and tires. Why not error on the side of safety, and go with the bigger wheels. This is just some of my thoughts.

Al

It doesn't make any sense to put 16" wheels on 8,000 lb. axles. If you are a high end trailer manufacturer why not just go and put on 17.5" wheels from the start. The most complaints that you hear about trailers always seems to involve the wheels and tires. Why not error on the side of safety, and go with the bigger wheels. This is just some of my thoughts.

Al

That is the reason that on all New Horizons 40' or larger there are 17.5" wheels and Goodyear G114 tires. Personally, I feel disc brakes should be standard, but they are an option.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Bigtrailer,

Just finished talking to Fritz from Shadow Trailer Parts. Seem like a good guy. I will be moving up to 17.5" wheels and tires. I also went with ST215/75R17.5 Hercules H-902 tire. I hope this takes care of my tire troubles.

Al

I got the 215/75R17.5 Load Range J 18 Ply Rated Continental HTL2 Eco Plus Radial Trailer Tire, with two mounted spares, I doubt I will wear them out. If I do have problems having two spares gives me time for getting replacements. We have the same tire on one of our lowboy trailers, they wear like iron and we have not had a problem in 3 yrs with them. I am hoping with the Mor-ryde and the tires the uncertainty will be gone while on the road and enjoy traveling more, not the constant worry about tires.

You won't wear them out but time will. I have Michelin J rated 17.5's and love them, but plan only to get 7 to 8 years out of them due to uv etc.

2005 Volvo VNL 42 630

Hi Al,

Just got the Hercules tires and 17.5 aluminum rims. I think the tires will work nicely. Lots of sipes for rain. They did deliver whast was promised.

Bigtrailer

Hi Bigtrailer,

I received a notice that my wheels and tires are getting ready to ship. I will let you know when I receive them.

Al

Hi Al,

Great, would like to hear your thoughts on the tires.

Bigtrailer

Hi Bigtrailer,

I received my tires today. I have everything unpacked. The tires do look pretty nice. When I get the new tires on the trailer, I should feel more safe going down the road.

Al

Archived