ET Hitch Bag Upgrade - Photos

Jack Mayer

Yesterday I left Mayo, FL and drove five hours down to Port St. Lucie to have Henry do the bag upgrade on my ET Senior hitch. This upgrade replaces the standard four airbag system with one larger airbag. The purpose is to better handle very heavy pin weights. Over 6000lbs would IMO opinion be the area where you want to consider this upgrade.

Things went smoothly and I left there at 6pm. Got home around 11:30 pm. It was a long day.

Album, with comments on the sides. Best viewed on a computer in order to see the comments.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

"The bag is rated to 13,000 lbs, but you want to run in the sweet spot of the bag - not at its max. Or you will not get good cushioning."

Good morning, Jack.

Is there a formula for determining the "sweet spot," or is it "seat of the pants" feel?

Regards,

Michael

2007 Volvo VNL 670

2007 NuWa HitchHiker Champagne

"The bag is rated to 13,000 lbs, but you want to run in the sweet spot of the bag - not at its max. Or you will not get good cushioning."

Good morning, Jack.

Is there a formula for determining the "sweet spot," or is it "seat of the pants" feel?

Regards,

Michael

The large air bag (used on ET Juniors and ET Super Seniors) is rated at 13,500 pounds max capacity (at 100 psi). You can exceed the max capacity by 100% meaning that the air bag air pressure can go 200 psi while working, this is known as the "jounce pressure". Neither Goodyear or Firestone will tell you at what pressure the air bag will fail but the scuttle butt is that it will happen at around 250 psi.

The "sweet spot" for airbags is at 50% of pressure and weight when used as an air springs, incidentally the air bags are linear (pressure vs. weight) therefore the "ideal weight" for this airbag is 6,750 pounds of pin weight. The "ideal range" for this air bag is between 40-60% of pressure, therefore 5,400 to 8,100 pounds. You can work outside of that range, but as you get above 70-75 psi the effectiveness of the air spring start degrading (you might as way shove a piece of hard rubber in there). Same in the other direction as the pressure get too low the response gets "mushy". This is one situation where "more is not better" and why the "regular ET" still will be 10,000 pounds capacity (5,000 pounds "sweet spot").

January 26th, beautiful day in Paradise.

DSC_0042.JPG

Eat you hear out, you snow bound north easterners. Jack's friend came over to check things out and discuss "future options".

It's a great sight, isn't it?

DSC_0047.JPG

Happy Jack, irod, I have alternative picture now.

DSC_0044.JPG

Leaving at dusk.

DSC_0048.JPG

Weather Alert:

Just heard on the news that the state of Florida could be sunned-in for the next several days. Residents have been urged to hunker down at your nearest beach and/or tiki bar for further instructions. Use extreme caution when braving this blizzard of sunshine, preferably SPF30. We are asking our friends and relatives to the north to please keep us in their thoughts as we deal with two feet buried in the sand.

Well phonix. We here in key west are having a cold front come through today. The high will be 66 and max sunshine. We are making a run on sun screen down here. Not to mention drinks with umbrellas in them.

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

Weather Alert:

Just heard on the news that the state of Florida could be sunned-in for the next several days. Residents have been urged to hunker down at your nearest beach and/or tiki bar for further instructions. Use extreme caution when braving this blizzard of sunshine, preferably SPF30. We are asking our friends and relatives to the north to please keep us in their thoughts as we deal with two feet buried in the sand.

Henry...I don't know you from Adam, but let me be the first to tell you that remarks like this are simply uncalled for and absolutely below the belt. :D

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

Weather Alert:

Thats it!! I am sending you a box of snow (COD :P )

2006 Volvo 670 singled long

2011 Heartland Sundance 3300CK

2006 Smart passion

2001 F350 DRW CREWCAB

Oh, you guys think that you are onto something, it has been done!

In 2011 Vern got a personal delivery to Forida of a frozen snowball.

2317287180096176628qOxlwC_fs.jpg

If my memory serve me right it might have been PSD Tweaker who transported it, which meand that this snowball was an undocumented alien from Canada.

I committed to photo Vern "exchanging" back and forth the said snowball with the next door neighbor.

2385833940096176628xoNwWH_fs.jpg

Let's say that their "technique" in the Florida climate deteriorated rapidly upon handling the ball, which meant the demise of the ball. But it also brought us to our senses that we should consider the possibility that Al Gore might be right about global warming/cooling and anything is possible, even in Florida.

2873239620096176628aKOAgP_fs.jpg

So I retrieved my "emergency snow shovel" while Vern was on lookout for Florida "nor' easter".

This was not entirely out of the question, the day we gathered to go to the Tampa RV show,

2464384540096176628GInbOx_fs.jpg

It was colder than a "witch'es ***

2540076100096176628XRhHkp_fs.jpg

Ya...that was a frigid F'nn morning!

Fun though...

Rick

1998 VOLVO 610 VED-12 @ 425 HP with 13 speed, 22.5" rubber, TC Equipped, single 3.70 drive axle, 193'' WB. REESE, 30K 4 way rocker-hitch, Jordan Ultima 2020. Under-frame mounted Honda 3000 ei, Towing a DRV MobileSuites- 36TK3 with TrailAir Pin Box, a Yamaha Road Star 1700 on deck. http://diesel-gypsy.blogspot.com

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm ready for you, spotted a truck today in Port St. Lucie I can hire.

IMG_0827.JPG

I guess in your neck of the woods snow would be handled by a pest control company :)

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Archived