Train air horns

runaway parents

It's not that they don't allow them on trucks, just that they don't want them activated/blowing on trucks. I have a cheap set mounted behind the front bumper pointing down.

Once you mount them, every time a kid does the "Arm Pump" you are required to hit the button... B)

Towns will have signs posted, no air horns, no engine/jake brakes etc, obey the signs and don't sweat it.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Got a new toy for Christmas. Train air horn. Since I have heard some states don't allow them on trucks. Big 5er do you have an idea of what states they might be? Can I mount it with a valve to switch it from stock air horn to train air horn. To get it threw those states?

I can't tell you about legality issues, but I can tell you I mounted 2 separate sets of air horns (in addition to the electric factory set) in my smart car. The horns have electric solenoids, so I added some relays, and put together a switch box so I can activate any of the sets individually or in any combination, depending on which switch I throw. The factory horn button is the one it's wired through. The largest set of horns is a Shocker 152 db plastic set from hornblasters.com. I had a YouTube video of the installation posted, but it appears to have been taken down. I normally leave them all on while on the highway, and just shut down the big set once off the freeway. The smaller set is a Hadley.

Doug
Frequent "lurker"
Occasional poster
First step towards the RV setup complete: 1 smart car

Train horns being mounted isn't illegal. Using them with a town or city is almost assuredly a violation of noise ordinances.

Even trains are restricted from using train horns within urban areas.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Ah yes, train horns, along with straight pipes with no mufflers and improper use of the jake brake....

1st the practical. In order to get the things to blow at full volume they need a lot of air. The OEM air lines just don't have the moxie. And the solenoid valves usually choke it down further. The real chicken haulers out here run a separate set of air lines 3/8" or larger and a big manual valve right next to the seat. That is the according to the Billy Big Rigger manual, the one that has all the fashion tips, like chain drive wallet, cowboy boots, and snap button shirts.

You can probably tell I don't care for them. And I have seen more than one instance where Billy Big Rigger used his very loud air horns and surprised several surrounding motorists to the point of them almost losing control of their vehicles. This is fire truck only territory.

I know, you are going to say you are going to use them carefully etc. But you cannot know where this sound is going to go and the land of unintended consequences takes over. The average motorist is not going to be amused.

Just my humble opinion.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Au contrare Jeff, of the folks on this forum, your voice speaks from years of operating in and observing the trucking industry while having one foot in a RV. I had never thought much about fire services moving away from sirens and onto air horns, but they have. I have lived in one of the worst areas in the US for drivers who seem to fuzz out for a bit at a light and then notice the motion around them and resume driving. The northwest Phoenix Metropolitan area has a number of large retirement cities, including Dell Webb's original Sun City. Folks around here are driving to advanced ages and, trust me on this, should not be startled. These "hit the accelerator when startled" accidents are normally too common to report. They make the news when there are serious injuries, the victim of the rear ending is a sheriffs deputy, or the car actually hit the house or went in the pool.

Blind hairpin curves, like on the Crown King Road or the Senator Highway, blast away.

John McLaughlin

2010 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, singled and decked

2014 Lifestyle 38' Fifth Wheel

First things first I am not a chain drive wallet caring cowboy boot wearing snap button shirt wearing truck driver. There are professionals out there that find this kind of stereotyping is very offensive. It dose not matter if it is a train horn or a stock truck air horn. I do not use my air horn unless it is an emergency. Like any other horn, blowing it to complain and blowing it for any thing other than an emergency is illegal.

I am sorry if my attempt at humor was not understood. As was mentioned, using any horn improperly is illegal.

This forum/group is all about safety. In my view train horns are unsafe. I wouldn't object to a nicely tuned pair of chrome trumpets. They provide the warning without undue alarm.

And I am still going to blow my air horn when some kid pumps his arm....

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

I am sorry if my attempt at humor was not understood. As was mentioned, using any horn improperly is illegal.

This forum/group is all about safety. In my view train horns are unsafe. I wouldn't object to a nicely tuned pair of chrome trumpets. They provide the warning without undue alarm.

And I am still going to blow my air horn when some kid pumps his arm....

No apology needed here. I've slowly joined the ranks of olde phartes who are annoyed by sudden, loud, obnoxious sounds, be they loud exhausts/Jake brakes, unmuffled bikes, or inappropriate horn blowing. Yes, I used to run around with uncorked headers on my Honda 750, glass packs on my 4wd truck and such. Now, my hearing's shot, and I'm trying to preserve what's left.

besides, I rather enjoyed your poke at other truckers. :D

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Totally agree....

Anyone that can't hear/react to a standard air horn is not in the area where it is blown..

Same comment on the straight pipes and Jake use..

However, as always, your choice, so if you want it.. go for it :)

Oh, I also rode Harley's for over (50) years....never ever kept stock mufflers on them, but also never had any use for straight pipes....including the BS that you hear them coming, so it is safer..

NOT true at all....in my "Group" of ~35 bikers that I led over the years we made anyone with straight pipes ride in the back of the line...

Cheers,

Bob

Ah yes, train horns, along with straight pipes with no mufflers and improper use of the jake brake....

1st the practical. In order to get the things to blow at full volume they need a lot of air. The OEM air lines just don't have the moxie. And the solenoid valves usually choke it down further. The real chicken haulers out here run a separate set of air lines 3/8" or larger and a big manual valve right next to the seat. That is the according to the Billy Big Rigger manual, the one that has all the fashion tips, like chain drive wallet, cowboy boots, and snap button shirts.

You can probably tell I don't care for them. And I have seen more than one instance where Billy Big Rigger used his very loud air horns and surprised several surrounding motorists to the point of them almost losing control of their vehicles. This is fire truck only territory.

I know, you are going to say you are going to use them carefully etc. But you cannot know where this sound is going to go and the land of unintended consequences takes over. The average motorist is not going to be amused.

Just my humble opinion.

1989 Safari Serengeti 34'
Towing a 1952 M38A1 Military Willys

Past HDT owner

Archived