Trailer tire spaceing

gs311

What is considered the min. distance between tires on a single wheel tandem axle trailer? Have about 2 1/2 inch now but want to change to G614 tires that are a 1/2 inch taller. That would leave me only 1 1/2 inch separation, is that enough?

Gene and Jane

05FL-Century 10 speed Manual

2013 37ft Forest River--Columbus

That would be pushing it. The wheels move for and aft a bit as they swing on spring action.

What size are you changing from?

Are you expecting to inflate the G614'ss to 110 psi? Because many trailers with E load Rated tires have rims only vertified to 85 psi.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Tires now are Akuret ST235/80 R16 Load E. Have been told by Columbus camper group that wheels are rated at 110psi. will have tire changer make sure if I go this route.

Gene and Jane

05FL-Century 10 speed Manual

2013 37ft Forest River--Columbus

Do not have a problem with tires getting that much closer with the Mor/Ryde IS suspension. G range tires on 16" rims and just over an inch apart.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

The minimum is 1.5" between tandem tires. A tire can "grow" as much as 3/4" in diameter when at running temperature and at speed. I went to Sailun S637 235/85R16, LR G tires on our 5er and had to have both axles moved farther apart (2.5") to prevent contact while maintaining the 60/40 weight ratio.

The time and expense was well worth the cost IMO, I never had another tire problem.

Aluminum rims have the maximum air pressure rating cast into the back-side of a "spoke". Steel rims have it stamped into the inner rim, hidden by a mounted tire.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Tires now are Akuret ST235/80 R16 Load E. Have been told by Columbus camper group that wheels are rated at 110psi. will have tire changer make sure if I go this route.

The G614 tires are not the a 1/2" taller. Go to Goodyears website. The G614 has the same diameter as the ST235/80R16s. I know this because I put the G614's on my 5th wheel a couple of months ago and I had the same tires as your current ones and the gap didn't change. I keep a 100 PSI in them. I did a lot of research and I new I was going to get these tires eventually. But after I had a blowout I got rid of those china bombs. I was hoping the Akurets would last a little longer but that didn't happen.

I did install a TPS system with these tires.

James

2024 GMC 3500HD DRW Denali Diesel

2019 Keystone Avalanche 396BH

USN Retired

If you need to replace rims to get 110 psi rating, you should consider getting 17.5" rims. A 215/75R17.5 has the same diameter as a G614. You would have more choices of good brand tires.

Also, as an example, the G114 (215/75R17.5) is lower cost that a G614 because of greater usage in the trucking industry on electronics vans.

A discussion on doing this Tire Size Change

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Thanks James, that makes me feel even better. Was going by what my tire guy told me. At my age I should know to do my own research.

My pleasure. I checked the inside of my rims to make sure they were rated 110psi. If I had to replace the rims I would have done what Mark said. I like these tires they look and feel great.

James

2024 GMC 3500HD DRW Denali Diesel

2019 Keystone Avalanche 396BH

USN Retired

• 3 months later...

I

. ....Our 5er came from the factory at 1", the minimum recommended by Dexter. We run XPS Ribs and have never had a tire fail. 3 axles.

X2 We have the XPS Ribs for 3 years since our previous BF Goodrich Commercial TAs were recalled. This is an excellent tire with no problems in about 25k+miles service.

John & Ginny

2008 HitchHiker 37CKRD

2011 GMC 3500 HD, AirSafe hitch

S&B Millersville, MD

Archived