Insurance question-has this happened to you?

Greetings everyone,

Just curious if this has happened to anyone else when reasearching insurance coverage, or did I just get a customer rep that doesn't seem to understand RV's (including his supervisor).

Attempted to get a quote from Progressive for my truck and travel trailer to see if I could do better ratewise, since my current company insists on constantly raising my rates for no apparent reason.

The rep I spoke to quoted me for the travel trailer, but would not quote me a rate for the truck unless I accepted the TT policy and paid a down payment.

Seems very strange to me, or is that just how Progressive works, does anyone know?

Thanks.

Ya just can't RV without a hitch.....!

That's crazy. Sound like you got a rep that was hurting for sales and desperate to close. Call again. I know I recently got a quote from them for truck and trailer. I ended up with Liberty Mutual. It was much cheaper.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

They quoted the trailer - want to reel you in with that because they know their truck rates are high and if they quote them now, you won't insure either with them. Run from any agency that would do this - find a different Progressive agent if you really want a quote. Progressive would not ever ask their agents to operate this way.

Pat DeJong

I had progressive for quite a while. They do this so they are SURE it is an RV, not a commercial phantom truck. But just be aware, Progressive's policy will NOT cover your tow vehicle if not used in "a way directly related to use as an RV" . Go to buy fuel, OK. Go to dinner while camping, OK Go to Homer's around home, you are probably NOT COVERED. That's how it is w/ HDT's, maybe LGT's are treated different.

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

They pull all sorts of things. We have our MH insured with Alied, asked for a quote for the toad. Out of site. Called USAA for the toad, $100/month less. I just don't understand insurance at all, pricing is all over the place. Our MH, higher $$ than our trailer and 5th costs $600/year less. Gof figure.

Most insurers want to have your business on all your vehicles. We personally have stayed with GEICO for 29 years. Can we get it cheaper?? Yes! However we have had perfect service from them

Just today our toad broke down. Towing to the nearest dealer meant it would go 17 miles south of where we were located. We wanted it taken to a garage 25 miles north near our daughters home where we are stopped for a visit. That put out us out of the "nearest milage" part of our emergency tow coverage. When I explained that towing it to the dealer would put my car 50 miles south of where I needed it to be, the agent checked with her manager and said " Mrs Fleeger we see you have been a loyal customer for a very long time and we will happily honor your request.".

GEICO also gives us a huge discount. We are over 50 and we pay $20 every 3 years to take the NTSC driving course online. We get to save $150 every 6 months

Makes it cheaper than any one else for us and that's including fulltimer coverage. Oh and that's on top of all the other discounts we get for being members of Fleet Reserve Association

Yep loyalty does still pay off

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Thanks everyone-interesting replies. Guess I'll stay with the current provider, although loyalty seems to mean nothing as far as premiums go. Haven't had a claim so I don't know how good the customer service will be in the event I need them....

Ya just can't RV without a hitch.....!

nana25K,

Thanks for the info on the discount for online driving school, we missed that before although I recall our ins agent asking if we had any driving school in the last 3 years. Thinking this would be a course that we would have to go to a "driving school" and sit in a classroom we dismissed it. I found this for Florida and will call my ins agent Monday to see what the discount will be. Apparently the insurance company is required to give you a 10% discount so we'll see what they say.

From the Florida DMV site; http://www.dmvflorida.org/traffic-school.shtml

Florida Mature Driver Course

Shortcut:Florida Mature Driver

If you are driver with a Florida drivers license that is 55 or older you qualify for a mandatory discount on your auto insurance of 10% a year if you complete the Florida Auto Insurance Discount Course.

We recommend you check with your auto insurance company before completing this six hour course. In some cases you may have been given a seniors discount.

The typical savings for completing the mature driver insurance discount course is $100 a year for three years for a total of $300.

Here is a link to the site;

http://www.floridamaturedriverprogram.com/

Thanks again,

Your welcome

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

I am very careful with my RV insurance, not all policies are the same. It could be the case that an RV insurance company, like Good Sam, will provide replacement

coverage and if the RV is added to an auto policy, they will pay actual cash valve (ACV). I would not want my RV to be paid at ACV. Good Luck

I have absolutely no loyalty to an insurance provider. I shop around every year. With that being said we've had Progressive for over 5yrs. I've never talked with anyone from Progressive, I've done it all over the net. And since we full time I try to keep everything paperless, which saves me also.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

We have been with progressive for 5 years ,truck car, 5th wheel. never a problem and never heard of the problem posted. we have never had a Insurance policy were the rates did not go up most every year. Our Progressive policy has gone down since we had no claims.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived