Fulltimers and campfires

On Saturday night July 26 at 8 PM I took a non-scientific survey. Beautiful summer evening just before dusk about 68 degrees. No federal or state grant money involved, only the school of hard knocks. We are in Bakers Hole Forest Service approx. 5 miles north of West Yellowstone, MT. on US 191 towards Bozeman, a concession aired campground. There are approx. 70 sites not including 3 host sites. 100% full. About 31 power sites which were occupied by 30 RV's and 1 tent. The non-power sites had a bigger percentage of RV's than tents. 14 not home in the power sites, 8 not home in the non-power sites. 7 campfires in the non-power sites, 3 camp fires in the powered sites. No propane fireplaces were in use. There were 4 full-timers that I know of that were there, all in power sites and none had fires. Just a fun thing!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

As an ex smoker, I now enjoy not smelling like smoke, and having relatively clean air to breath. I also like to go camping but sometimes the campfire smoke situation is pretty bad. I wonder if any of these people go back to the city and complain about having a smoker anywhere within 20 feet of them. As was mentioned before, they seem to think nothing of having their smoke gas out their neighbors. I'd be willing to bet that if I were to sit outside my trailer, crack a beer and light up a cigarette I'd get someone complaining about the cigarette smoke and then as I would be butting out my smoke, they would be lighting up their campfire.?????

Joan is very fond of campfires and has many times lived in homes heated with wood ( in very rural BC) I was not raised with campfires but I must say I have come to love them too. A fire seems to draw people over and we have met many new friends around the fire. We boondock almost exclusively since we cant afford the ridiculous fees campsites want to charge and we like being a little bit away from large groups of people. Nothing quite like staring into a campfire to bring on that moment of Zen...

In a previous century I grew up without electricity or indoor plumbing and heating was done with wood (that we had to go saw, chop, split and haul) then clean up the mess and carry it away, except for what we kept for soap making. I find it astonishing that someone would deliberately choose to live that way for a fun activity. I much prefer sitting in filtered, air-conditioned air, in comfortable recliner, with a cold brew, safely away from the mosquitoes, flies and gnats. Isn't it surprising what people will do for fun, that they would really feel put-upon if forced to do?

F-250 SCREW 4X4 Gas, 5th NuWa Premier 35FKTG, Full Time, Engineer Ret.

Archived