Full Time in a Toy Hauler

The conversation at a local campground gathering turned to the question of "Are there any ToyHaulers that are built for fulltime living, built to withstand the normal rigors of life"?

The discussion went thru the regular course of Cyclones, Raptors, the new Grand Design, and then the subject of the new DRV Fullhouse came up. Is the DRV Fullhouse that much better for the money or is it the name that commands the price? Is KZ still in business or did they fall by the wayside?

With minimal searching, the capacities of the toy haulers are all listed except the DRV again, any idea what the weights are?

On the end note, this got Alie and I thinking, if we could find a suitable toy hauler that has the same level of build and quality as our current Carrilite, and haul a smart car in the back, then the truck could stay short and just get painted at some point to match the rv.

Ideas and comments?

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

If you want a TH to carry a single motorcycle, look at the Lifestyle Alfa Gold 3905SHMC. LOADS of living space. The "garage" has room for the bike, some fishing poles, tackle box and some other odds and ends. Luv mine, despite a few minor problems.

If you want a TH for some other reason, can't help you other than to say I ABSOLUTELY HATED the 2014 Cyclone 4000 I had. Worst POS EVER!!! Glad to be rid of it!!

We have a 2007 Travel Supreme Rally Sport 38KST10 and love it. It is a 4-season unit with a sheetmetal sealed undercarriage and duo pane windows. The two air conditioners held 80 degrees the other day when temperatures reached 109 in the Sacramento valley. It is a very solid rig but very heavy. In almost two years of looking nationwide for used toy haulers, I only found 2 for sale.

After going to a few dealerships today, we didn't see anything near as good as the Carrilite we have. I've done a fair amount of research on the DRV Fullhouse, not much to be found other than the website and the Kansas RV page though. One thing I have not found was the GVWR and cargo capacity. It comes with 3- 8k axles, and figure a 4500-5k pin, but what is the garage weight rating, and other cargo rating. Is the door a 3k door or 2k? Those type of questions are still unanswered. We were at a DRV dealer today and they didn't have any info on it either.

If Excel was in business, then I would consider them. I haven't seen a New Horizons toy hauler either. I am aware that the 3 custom builders can and would build a great Toy Hauler, but I would be terrified of the price!

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Look at a used KZ Escalade TH.

They are built to last. We have friends who full timed in one hauling two Harleys for 5 years, till they sold the bikes and moved to a mobile suites.

Sue and Paul- fulltimed 2009 -2015 with Dozer, our Gray Tuxedo cat

2012 DRV Mobile Suites 36TKSB4 pulled by a 2020 F350 Platinum

Our "vacation home" : 2018 Arctic Fox 1150 truck camper

RIP Dozey

http://soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com/

Jim,

Just give DRV a call and ask them the capacities of the garage floor and the ramp. Sometimes you can get a quicker response by sending an email but I prefer talking to a person....

By the way, it was nice meeting you and Alie at the ECR, wish we could have stayed longer.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone were new to RV stuff but I purchased a double axle trailer to build on. It was a 32 ft camper with slide outs but a fallen tree ruined it and owner scraped it and cant remember model and make of it I bought it as is just the floor and tanks. Any help would be appreciated as I want to build safely and need the correct gvwr. I got the year but nothing else from this vin number 1EC1W2826G2843634 should be a 1996

• 2 weeks later...

If you want a TH to carry a single motorcycle, look at the Lifestyle Alfa Gold 3905SHMC. LOADS of living space. The "garage" has room for the bike, some fishing poles, tackle box and some other odds and ends. Luv mine, despite a few minor problems.

If you want a TH for some other reason, can't help you other than to say I ABSOLUTELY HATED the 2014 Cyclone 4000 I had. Worst POS EVER!!! Glad to be rid of it!!

Hi - wld you care to elaborate on some of your 'highlights'! of your Cyclone, since we have been considering this model for motorcycle and dog playpen. Would appreciate it, thank you.

Mary

Hi - wld you care to elaborate on some of your 'highlights'! of your Cyclone, since we have been considering this model for motorcycle and dog playpen. Would appreciate it, thank you.

Mary

Too uncomfortable, lost too much living space for sake of a garage, too many repeat visits to dealers for repairs of items they claim they fixed. Just so VERY VERY VERY happy to be rid of it. Lack of comfort and lack of REAL usable living space in a 44' coach just turned me off. Oh, and a lack of storage space, too. No overhead cabinets and not much kitchen storage.

I'm sure there are folks who love their Cyclone. Good for them. I am glad they are happy. I was not a happy camper in mine and I'll NEVER buy another Heartland product.

Too uncomfortable, lost too much living space for sake of a garage, too many repeat visits to dealers for repairs of items they claim they fixed. Just so VERY VERY VERY happy to be rid of it. Lack of comfort and lack of REAL usable living space in a 44' coach just turned me off. Oh, and a lack of storage space, too. No overhead cabinets and not much kitchen storage.

I'm sure there are folks who love their Cyclone. Good for them. I am glad they are happy. I was not a happy camper in mine and I'll NEVER buy another Heartland product.

Thanks for your honest answer and some things to scrutinize closer. I know people who like their Cyclone, but are not full-timers but weekend trackers (racers).

Our comparison of most of the toyhaulers but the DRV Full house is that they may be ok for the weekender or summer 2 weeker, but they're a big step down in quality from our Carriage.

If we change rv's it will be to the DRV Full house.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

We full time in a 2008 KZ Escalade 41CKS with only a 10 ft garage. It has been a great rig in temps ranging from 10F to 102F...dual pane windows, 18" frame, disc brakes, Bigfoot hydraulic levelers, nice doors and cabinets, etc. Two worthless options were the Infinity light and the doorbell. The garage has heat and A/C so we move the bikes out and use it as a guest room with a tall inflatable bed when family comes to visit.

There are better built and fancier rigs out there but we have not found one we are willing to spend the money on to switch to yet.

Mike & Joan
2006 Volvo 780
2008 KZ Escalade Sportster 41CKS
2001 Honda XR650R
2018 Kymco Spade 150

Archived