Highway 1 on East coast of Florida

maggie blair

I've driven many sections of it over many years. Thankfully I've never had to drive the entire distance of it. I had all my teeth pulled instead. My experience has been that the road is in generally good repair, very few frost heave pot holes. The lane widths are more than adequate for an RV. Somewhere close to 50% of all the traffic lights in Florida are placed at intersections with US 1. It's a good road to see every make of vehicle in the country in one mile and if not one of each make, then thousands of any one make within that mile.

If I were to drive the east coast of FL for pleasure and for ambience, I'd scoot over to A1A as often as I could. And if I wanted to get from point A to point B as quickly as possible, I'd take some other route than A!A or US1. JMO

Then
The puller - Wiers Towmaster (Int'l 4700LP)
and pusher - 40' Travel Supreme

Now

30' Winnebago Aspect TS
Signs of my new life

Thanks so much! I am not in any hurry and I really want to see the entire coast. I sure appreciate your information so that I'll make sure I have lots of water and snacks upfront with me at all times. It sounds like it's a slow go but I think it will be worth it. Thank you again.

Maggie Blair

very few frost heave pot holes.

Frost heaves??? Only from the snowbirds that come down for the winter.

Both Rt 1 and A1A are easy drives if you like A LOT of stop and go traffic. Many parts of A1A are 2-lane. If you are not at least doing the speed limit, pull over out of the way and let traffic pass you by. You are on vacation, but most everyone else on the road are not.

For the most part US 1 will have you traveling through the middle of the older sections of Florida towns and you will experience lots of traffic in the city areas. Before I-95 US 1 was the main thoroughfare down the east coast. Lots of smaller towns for the most part dried up after I-95 opened and most of those areas are still today rather old and worn out looking. The ride down A1A from St. Augustine to Ormond Beach is very scenic riding right along the Atlantic coast. The road in Flagler Beach was washed away by last years hurricane, but has been temporarily repaired and is easily passable with a RV. We live in that part of Florida so I am very aware of the conditions. Enjoy your trip should you decide to go that route.

Gary & Penny

2015 Lance 1172

2005 Chevy 3500

2013 Bass Tracker 190 Pro Team

I made a point years ago to take all of US1 and A1A in Florida. But I did it mostly in my tow car with the motorhome at a campground. Lots of stop and go, but my wife and I enjoyed the experience.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

US1 is 300 miles of traffic lights and decaying 1950's motels and fast food joints. However A1A runs down the beach for the most part, but is not continuous. Both are easily passable in an RV, no worries there. Having spent a bunch of time from Titusville to Jax, I definitely suggest mapping it so you hit all the long stretches of A1A, and duck over to I-95 when you need to skip the congested parts of US1 where A1A is not an option.

Archived