Introduction.....

cdlaine

Hello,

Prior service Enlisted and Commissioned Officer... U.S. Army. Branch transfer to U.S.P.H.S. at the half way

point. 28 years for pay. Accepted the DD Form 2 in 2006. Spouse also an enlisted/commissioned

Veteran. My Father a WWII Vet (AAF...Guadalcanal / Northern Solomons campaigns) and career USAF

CWO-W4 (PJ)...3 wars, a silent hero. Son just ETS'ed active U.S.. Army joined the Arizona National Guard.

(he drew Schofield Barracks, HI. right out of the box...spent all 4 years there...sheesh !).

Really enjoy desert RV'ing and use of the FamCamp system.

Rapidly closing in on the Medicare/ Tricare for Life decisions. I have read thru the posts of this forum related

to same... but, lots of questions remain.

We fly the flag every day. Family is proud to serve. Thanks for letting us join.

Charles

Welcome Charles! I took a break in service for my degree and had to jump back in early because they were going to cut off prior service accessions, Officer and Enlisted, in October of 1986. I got back in active September 86, from the reserves I did while in college but had to re-enlist at 34 and got my first BS at the same time as my 35th Bday. AF required finishing OTS before 35th Bday. Navy wanted me for 50% sea duty LDO but I was happy as a senior enlisted being with my family more. Like you, I also have to count my weird dates. I left with one year retainability despite being offered E9 in minimal time by our agency 1 button with 23 for retirement, 25 for pay and actual 27 years affiliation active and reserves.

I retired at 45, from Lackland as Supt. for the 100 acres of Medina Range and Classroom complexes, and moved into our first full time rig and only went back to serious work 2005-2009. We came off the road in 2003 after 7 years to care for aging parents, hers, and will be leaving after we are done here, no hurry, to Denver. I taught at the USAF Academy 78-81 and was in the first five enlisted Cadet squadron AOCs, and taught Officer Enlisted relations for Military Science 420, as well as Combat Arms and POW/SERE. I had a sponsor or two and was supposed to come back for two years missileer and then get pulled to the new Space Command they were planning at Corona when I was at the academy. Thus the break in service for college.

The best laid plans often go awry. No regrets. I only left when it wasn't fun anymore.

I like to say I wouldn't take back a minute of it, and wouldn't go back for one minute more.

We loved the FamCamps too. If you join the Escapees club between their parks, coops and other facilities and the FamCamps you are pretty much covered in the US along the Southern and Western routes. We spent our First year trying to hit all the parks for both from Shreveport area where we built a winter RV space with full hookups on my FIL's property. I-20 to I8 to I10, with lots of both Military and SKP parks along the way,and then Fiddlers Cove on the strand which is the RV park and Yacht club next to the SEAL base. Then North on five and with side trips to the Bases and SKP parks in JoJoba hills and Coarsegold CA, then Sutherlin OR and on up to Chimicum Washington by way of the SeaTac area and the great Parks at McChord and Ft Lewis. Some Mil along 90 on the way back then dropping South for the AF Academy and other points South. That was just one year. We did the middle of the country and in the 7 years did pretty much everything West of the Mississippi, and from Mexico up to and including Alaska.

My website (Out of date)is in my sig block below,and my email is on the bottom of the page. Anything I can help or answer drop me a line or ask here. My info is getting out of date too.

smiley-linie-010.gif

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Thank you MSG DJW.

Derek... I can relate. Very complicated service history here also.... just kept my head down and continued to progress.

One of the few lucky ones that started as an E-1 and finished as an 0-6. Had the benefit of good mentors all the way along.

But, got to admit... going from E-7 (SFC) to 2LT was a bit hard to swallow. The enlisted handled it much better then my Officer

raters/endorsers.... kind of a threat I guess. Thank Congress for the Vietnam Era G.I.Bill (came in delayed enlistment just in time

to make the cut-off prior to the Montgomery Bill).....got me thru undergrad, then right back in, (both wife and I) with the special

0-1E for pay rating....I think that stayed around until 0-3. Had to do Grad school on my own dime, then needed a waiver for USPHS

service (very lucky to get that). Resigned my US Army commission and re-took the oath for the USPHS on the same day.... so,

no break in service. Great journey...worked with some great people.

Haven't been to Fiddlers Cove since the overhaul... love Del Mar.(Camp Pendleton). And, of course , the alpha and omega....

Hale Koa ! (Ft. Derussy). :D but heck, I like Barry Goldwater Test Range also. Ha !!

Looking forward to learning from the Veterans stationed at the Escapees RV forum.

Charles

Haven't been to Fiddlers Cove since the overhaul... love Del Mar.(Camp Pendleton). And, of course , the alpha and omega....

Hale Koa ! (Ft. Derussy). :D but heck, I like Barry Goldwater Test Range also. Ha !!

Charles

Charles,

Just toured Fiddler's Cove a couple of weeks ago - very nice. It's almost impossible to get in, though. There is a shortage of housing on the island for the AD folks so many are homesteading there (and can reserve much farther in advance than retirees can).

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Charles,

A minimalist cinder parking FamCamp on a combined reserve guard base with a bathroom and full hookups, 50 Amp only, in Warrenton Oregon was great for location. It is close to the mouth of the Columbia River, all the state and national parks, forts, lighthouses and beaches. As well the fishing fleet comes in with some real deals on Prawns and Tuna when we were there. Astoria is great as are all the Washington state places along and around the peninsula on 101. Hoh National park rainforest and Port Townsend's wooden ships festival is awesome too. SKP Coop Park up there in Chimicum. Then slide down the other side and camp at McChord AFB under giant Sugar pines. I understand Ft Lewis is combined with them now and has an RV park too around a lake. Great place to stay and tour Seattle and Pikes market etc.

Sounds like you have already been using some!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Wow--you guys had a heck of a military run. I only did 2 years (drafted) and that was enough. My dad was career AF, saw combat in

WWll (Army) missed Korea and was sent to Vietnam 3 months after I returned. He was my hero!

DICK

2010 Phaeton QTH
2013 GMC Sierra 4X4
Vietnam Vet--1st Cav '65, Recon,2/7
Ia Drang Valley survivor
Elks<br http://www.4ezdaz.com
Same site--new URL

Derek...

Thank you for the recs.... perfect timing as an RV sojourn to Bend is in the planning stage... I can see a little detour

to take advantage of the region. My bride grew up in Sequim . She would leave today if we could !

Dick... 1st Cav Recon... 65. Thank you for stepping up when called upon. My son , a line medic in a Cav unit tells me

this song got heavy play when they were prepping for deployment. Ha ! https://youtu.be/N1V3JW4HeBs...brings a smile.

My Dad.... joined AAF right after Pearl. Jefferson Barracks for Basic.... then Chanute for aerial engineer /mechanic training.

Shipped to South Pacific for air crew duty in 13th TCS , 13th Air Force. Saw nasty in Guadalcanal and Northern Solomons in

low, slow C-47's, carried bullets and beans to the front lines...ferried out wounded heroes. Island hopped for close to 3 years...

earned the Air Medal when he completed his first 100 hours combat flight time.

Out for two years... joined the "new" USAF at MacDill... Benning for jump school, Everglades for plank membership in one of the

earliest "PJ's" Air Rescue global assignments. Became a TEST Parachutist, then Project Engineer. Korea, Vietnam (2 tours).

Worked with NASA on Gemini /Apollo Programs testing re-entry capsule methods. Retired a W-4. A real hero....but never talked

about it. My favorite photo... standing outside a GP small, in the South Pacific with his M-1 Garand...a real been there done that

kind of guy.

Charles

Charles. totally awesome.

Former Military Police,US Army, 759th MP Bn. 74-77. tail end of vietnam. lucky tho i didn't get called to go there. my dad did 8 yrs navy master chef. 45-53.

100% DAV now.

Back then it was hell. but looking back had a great time. it's an experience that all should have. along with serving our country.

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

Thank you ... I always tried to make friends that were MP's... :rolleyes: , never knew when I might need a bail out !

Those guys and the Mess SFC .... important guys to have on my side. :D .

If anyone here is interested in WWII history (both Dad and Mom served... she a beautiful young RN on a

hospital ship in the Panama Canal Zone (and at Gorgas)). Mr. Seth Washburne wrote and excellent book on my

Dad's outfit... "The Thirsty 13th" , covers pre-war, combat, and post war on these flight/ground crews that were

bold enough to fly to the front lines on air ships with no armament. The book is well researched.

It is an understatement to say they sacrificed much. I am proud to be their son. They instilled love of country,

and of camping.

Charles

Thank you Ray....

When I was a grunt in basic training (Ft. Leonard Wood) all the cadre were 11 "Bush" , most from recent tours in Viet Nam.

You Infantry have my complete respect...I lack the guts to do what you did.... real Army. RESPECT.

Charles

"Chanute for aerial engineer /mechanic training." Most of my school years my dad was stationed at Chanute. I consider it my hometown.

"From a retired 11B5MX." When I was in, the MOS was 111 for infantry.

DICK

2010 Phaeton QTH
2013 GMC Sierra 4X4
Ia Drang Valley survivor
Same site--new URL

Charlie

Both of my parents served in the Navy during WWII. Dad was statiioned on Ford Island in Pearl. Got there in Feb of 42 and my Mom worked in DC at BOPERS. They met at Great Lakes in 45 during out processing. My Grandfather joined the CB's after Dec 7th and went through the south pacific. So he and his daughter and 2 sons were all in at the same time during WWII. I have the flag that was presented to my Grandmother at his passing here in my office.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

MSG....

What a great family tree. It always amazes me how military service frequently skips entire

families completely and really taps others.... like you , my Dad's dad and uncle served

in WWII, one a "Coastie" the other a USN "Rigger" out of Puget Sound Naval Yard. My Dad's

other Uncle gave all at D-Day + in Normandy (Sgt. Loveland,,,Infantry).

Among my siblings.... one USNA Grad (A7's), and one Army Crypto (Udorn, Thailand), my

wife and I, and son US Army (AMEDD). Your entire family's sacrifice during time of war...

above and beyond. Outstanding. Thanks for sharing.

Another photo of Dad at work.... easy to see why a school kid had braggin' rights.... ;)

Charles

Dad%201_zps9rujowfn.jpg

Charlie

So true both of my brothers were in the Army at the same time as I was. One was Medically retired after Desert Storm where a pod from his MLRS feel on his legs and ended up having both knees replaced at the same time. 100% Disabled now. The other was with JSOC in the Pacific. None of our 3 sons have served. Although my youngest is a Police Officer with over 20 years on the job and is on the National Executive Committee for the Torch Run supporting the Special Olympics. They raised over a million dollars last weekend in VA Beach with the Polar Plunge.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

My dad was an immigrant who served as a foreign national in the AF for a four year tour as Air Police. I still have his armband somewhere. He stayed a subject to the crown in the foreign service later after he split from us when I was six. When he died in 1998 he was the honorary consul for Great Britain in Acapulco Mexico. I never knew him but vaguely remember his .38 revolver duty pistol. Other than him no other members of my family served but me. Neither of my two sons were interested and I was neutral. I told them it would be great for the GI Bill.

Hats off to you guys with a military member in every generation let alone multiples in them.

Huah!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Dick....

Not many call Chanute "home" ...in reflection you are the first I've heard of..... for your remembrance, I found a

WWII post card ... "keep em' flying". :D

Charles

Thanks for the card. Brings back old memories.

DICK

2010 Phaeton QTH
2013 GMC Sierra 4X4
Ia Drang Valley survivor
Same site--new URL

You are welcome Dick.

Some gave all.... Uncle (SGT U.S. Army )... Normandy. Shortly after he was KIA, the German

forces on this front surrendered in droves. Proud of his service. Dad never found out until back

stateside (for morale purposes). As far as we know, marker only , fate of remains unknown. Dynamic

battlefield situation. 34 years young.

Charles

post-54534-0-96318000-1455116715_thumb.jpg

I'm from Stamford CT. from age 7 until age 18 and enlisting in the AF. My mom had moved out to California several years before I enlisted from CT as I was on my own, working and had my own apartment at 16. Anyway, I figured with family in CT and in San Diego area the AF could not send me too far away from one or the other. So they sent me to Barksdale in Louisiana! I thought that was as far away from both as you could get without leaving the country. For my second tour I hoped for closer and went to Lackland in San Antonio. I found out it was even farther. Then Colorado teaching at AF Academy. Then Barksdale again, then Germany, then back to Lackland. How likely is that? :o:angry:

Charles. I am proud for your family too. Huah.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived