International 4400 roof rack, Thule or Yakima

Fhkw9DPJ8V1g

There used to be someone out there with an International 4400 DT570 crew cab with a roof rack that they carried their kayaks on. I'm trying to find anyone who has already fitted one to their rig.

Yakima and Thule don't list the truck in their fitment guide but I know it can be and has been done. Any help especially personal experience would be appreciated.

Ours is a 2006 4400 crew.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's a pic(see attached) of our Yakima rack mounted on our 4400. Sorry for the delay. I haven't been on the forum lately.

I've tried two Yakima systems. The first, recommended by a local Yakima dealer, was their adjustable track system but found the mid section of our sheet metal roof had too much flexibility to provide adequate support. Despite the bounce, we used this system for about 5 years.

When I noticed small tears in our sheet metal roof, I decided it was time to call Yakima. They were surprised that the local dealer suggested the track. They fixed me up with a fixed mounting system. Mounting the Yakima towers close to the edge of the 4400's roof (right above the doors) provides a MUCH stronger support system. We used these fixed point mounts.

Hope this helps,
Mark

post-1709-0-30611800-1458036197_thumb.jpg

Mark & Sue---SKP#86611
'06 International 4400LoPro DT570 310hp 950ft-lbs.-Allison--3.70 gears
'05 36' Teton Liberty
'12 BMW F650 twin

Im not willing to rip the head liner out for the roof rack.

No need to rip out the headliner. I used rubber expansion nuts which have held my kayaks and cargo box in place at 65mph and not budged even during severe crosswinds. This was not a system I thought up, this is the method that Yakima uses for their track system.

When I made the change to the edge of the roof, I used robust SS sheet metal screws right into the truck's thick edge frame.

Yakima does sell a gutter-mount tower, which if you do, would definitely be the way to go. I couldn't because my truck doesn't have gutters.

Mark

Mark & Sue---SKP#86611
'06 International 4400LoPro DT570 310hp 950ft-lbs.-Allison--3.70 gears
'05 36' Teton Liberty
'12 BMW F650 twin

Archived