Homosassa River resort thieves

Wrknrvr

We asked about problems with theft when we checked in. So we did the normal stuff. Chained the bycicle and lock the RV storage bays.

We have been here over two weeks.

Sunday night someone tried to steal my jeep. The hood was left open, they could not figure out how to hot wire it to start it

I installed a v8 Chevy motor and changed everything electrically to make it operate without electronics . Just a plain old distributor.

We are loading up to never return to Florida at all.

Third day we were here there was a t bone accident in front of us.

Just do not need this ------ -------.

Safe Travels to all, Vern

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a reference point you may want to look at what is happening in many of our states. Many of our Southwestern land owners have armed guards watching their property. We have changed so much as a country since the times of unlocked doors and keys left in the car. We are just living in a different world, one that may have changed forever! A different set of American values, not shared by ALL FOLKS! We had our jeep broken into in while we were having lunch with a cousin while traveling through Houston. RV was parked at a relative's home. Jeep window smashed, computer and GPS stolen. Stuff was covered with a sheet, but only stuff that could be sold or pawned was stolen. We used our jeep to hold items while we traveled in our RV. Police suggested, as we knew, don't leave anything of value in your car, even hidden or covered. Sad times indeed! We too are thankful that we were not hurt and stuff could be replaced, frustrating and time consuming as it was.Hope you don't let this bad experience stop you from traveling our great country or harden your heart. Be blessed and look for ways to be a blessing to others. :)

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

On the other hand we have been wintering in Florida and the S.W for 11 years and never had a problem with theft anywhere. There are traffic accidents every day everywhere. Hope you can find a perfect place to stay and travel.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Wow. Some rather harsh responses. I personally am glad so many folks DO like Florida; it keeps more people & traffic out of the West! Of course there are accidents & crime everywhere, but we've never had anything stolen in MT, WY, NM, UT, AZ...and we don't feel like we have to lock up like Fort Knox. Maybe we've just been lucky, but I'll take those odds & stay out west.

Next up -- all the people who say "good -- stay west"...

Renee

Dave, Renee & furkids Casey & Miss Kitty
1998 Volvo 610 Straight 10 "Leather n' Lace"; Herrin bed w/Rampage motorcycle lift; 2010 40' New Horizons Majestic; 2008 Harley FLSTC; 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited; 1999 Yamaha 4X4 Kodiak (that is NOT with us!)

Renee, And of course the folks that can't decide east or west and go to Texas.

We were a bit more limited in where we avoided for security reasons, usually no more than a county with a town being more likely but a few spots just some neighborhoods. We did pretty much blacklist anything along the southern border, particularly remote camping sites due to the drug trade and border bandits. In Arizona we found Benson, Bisbee, Sierra Vista, Why and Douglas to be fine. Yuma might have been good from a security standpoint but I had issues with he agricultural chemicals there. In New Mexico Deming seemed fine but Columbus was a bit iffy outside of the park and campgrounds.

We learned the hard way to do our research before we got somewhere and to plan a short stay while we confirmed that we really liked the area.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I agree with what Stan said. I spent the first 60 years of my life in 11 different parts of New York State. Within NY, there were areas I felt very safe in and those I didn't. Often the areas I felt very safe in were less than an hours drive, sometimes 15 minutes, from areas I felt the least safe. People who paint the State of NY with one broad brush, and avoid it, are doing themselves a big disservice. I bet Florida is the same way.

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

Stuff was covered with a sheet

We used a piece of black fabric. Black looks like a hole. As long as you keep it below window level so there's no side view, most people will not realize there is anything in there.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

we've never had anything stolen in MT, WY, NM, UT, AZ...

And that means what? There is no crime in those states? I've never had anything stolen in all the blue states in my avatar.....

Situational awareness, vigilance and a "how (easy) do we look to a potential perp" attitude go a long way, anywhere. That and some luck.

Previously a 2017 Forest River, Berkshire 38A, "The Dragonship". https://dragonship.blog/

I think the OP was just frustrated at the events that he had witnessed and experienced...I agree that there are safe places and dangerous places in any state you travel. I am a life long Texan and it is a wonderful state as long as you use common sense on where you travel or live...I would never exclude a state just because of a bad experience (even NY!!) just try to plan and be as safe and vigilant as possible.

And that means what? There is no crime in those states? I've never had anything stolen in all the blue states in my avatar.....

Situational awareness, vigilance and a "how (easy) do we look to a potential perp" attitude go a long way, anywhere. That and some luck.

Of course, I agree with your 2nd statement. However, apparently you missed the part of my comment that stated "of course there are accidents & crime everywhere." I did not in any way say there was no crime in the western states I mentioned. I was merely relaying my experience and expressing my preference to stay out of high population & high traffic areas. Logically, the less people, the less crime. (And before you jump on that comment, I did not say anything about PERCENTAGES. Just that if there are more people, there is probably more crime -- by the numbers.)

Dang, this is why I seldom post on the forums anymore. I thought I was just expressing my own opinion & not denigrating anyone.

Renee

Dave, Renee & furkids Casey & Miss Kitty
1998 Volvo 610 Straight 10 "Leather n' Lace"; Herrin bed w/Rampage motorcycle lift; 2010 40' New Horizons Majestic; 2008 Harley FLSTC; 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited; 1999 Yamaha 4X4 Kodiak (that is NOT with us!)

We asked about problems with theft when we checked in. So we did the normal stuff. Chained the bycicle and lock the RV storage bays.

We have been here over two weeks.

Sunday night someone tried to steal my jeep. The hood was left open, they could not figure out how to hot wire it to start it

We are loading up to never return to Florida at all.

Third day we were here there was a t bone accident in front of us.

Just do not need this ------ -------.

Safe Travels to all, Vern

I hate to ask silly questions Vern, but exactly where do you plan to go where there is no theft and no traffic accidents? The reason I ask is because I would like to go there also, but I have never found this utopia that you seem to think exists somewhere outside of Florida.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

We winter about 35 miles West of Orlando on I-4 and about 45 miles East of Tampa on I-4. Both of these cities have IMO high crime rates. We get the local channels from both areas and we tune in to check the murder and mayhem reports on the evening news .Our domicile in Oho is about 35 miles west of Cleveland ,Ohio and the evening news is no better yet the town we live in Ohio is quiet with a very low crime rate and the area we live in here in Florida is the same.

Interstate I-4 here in Florida between Tampa and Orlando is a demolition derby with 164 traffic deaths so far this year. We have travelled all over this great country in the last 11 years logging nearly 100K miles and we have only felt unsafe (in campgrounds)) two times.

Florida is way to hot in the summertime and we would not live here but it is perfect in the wintertime and we do live here.

I guess we have been very lucky as In over 30 years of Rv'ing and 11 years of long timing we have never had a problem of any kind.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Jus for some info of our earlier experience in Florida.

I am the kind of person will help if I see a problem. So on March 27 2007 we were on the way home after dinner out. Then a vehicle past us going south on a northbound lane. I used the truck air horn, and applied the brakes just gently. Very confused. I looked in the rear view mirror and seen the car hit a truck.

So I decided to stop and help. The accident was quit a distance behind us. When I looked back again the truck hit us. We were slowing down. Not stopped.

It was a empty gasoline tanker. It hit us and then it hit us again and on the second hit it turned our truck on its side.

I had trouble getting around and working for 2 years and still have effects from that accident.

Since then we have had several close calls in Florida because of other drivers.

There are places where fewer things happen but not perfect. Usually with fewer people and in the country as opposed to city areas..

Now Big 5r. I just cannot tell you where we are going as you may try to arrest me for my missing tires. But I will wave on my way past you . I will some Dr Pepper just in case you see me

I do help on the forum as much as posible. Just the kind of person I am.

Safe Travels,, Vern

Before we went full timing we had two totally different businesses for 25 years. Where the normal traffic jam was a flock of turkeys on the road. Or a cow on the wrong side of the fence.

But we did have to go to a big city at times. The one county where we lived still does not have any traffic lights. I think since we have not been there for six years.

Yes there are some places where not much happens. But are going keep them secret as much as posible.

Be safe out there , Vern

Accidents and thefts are just part of the adventure and risk that we signed up for as travelers. Travelers have been at high risk for centuries and that is why most people tend to stay put, only the adventuresome spirits tend to roam. The best we can do is try to minimize the risk to be within our individual comfort levels. Hopefully the OP can put this experience behind him and hope for better adventures ahead.

Greg

RVing in/with vehicles, (*not* tents, which was pre-RV "camping").... since 1970.

Never had anything stolen in any of the states we have traveled in - which includes coast to coast and border to border - including Florida.

(Not just the blue states in your avitar). Parts of Canada also - but have skipped Mexico (with an RV).

Haven't hit all 50 yet - still trying to figure out how to tow 5th wheel to Hawaii... :wacko:

I am awake watching . We could not leave until today so I went to sleep early. Now wife is sleeping.

Campground does not really say anything about theft.

Just was looking at Citris county Florida arrest and DUI for one day. Six thefts reported, one dui and a few others.

Not a place to be. At least I do not want to be.

So we will leave today. So those who choose so can stay.

Hard to believe you're so paranoid over this... taking turns sleeping. Good luck finding a safe haven but you better look at their crime reports in the county before setting down roots again.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I am sorry about this happening to you and you need to do what is right for you. I do agree that to some degree it is just poor luck that it happened to you. I agree with others that it can easily happen almost anywhere with the caveat that many places may be safer than other places. Maybe after a little time it will be less painful. I have been pretty lucky overall but have had my truck broke into in a matter of minutes while I was in a Toy's R Us in Albuquerque. Found out later that particular mall area was prone to break ins even though they had a security patrol. Another was on the parking lot of a branch library in Dallas that usually had a security guard, but he was late that day. It is still not as bad as a friend that is in a wheelchair and had 2 vehicles with handicap controls both stolen on the same night in a limited access apartment complex.

Bigjim,

I have only had one theft. Also in Albucuerque. Parked in a municipal lot and walked through old town. Came back to the truck and they tried to take rear view camera monitor but it was hardwired and they couldn't get it. Did grab a small portable 12v compressors from the floor of the backseat. They pushed a screwdriver into the keyhole of the drivers door.

Rarely have I ever felt uncomfortable but completely understand the original posters anxiety. Also another positive for the rv lifestyle. Not happy with where you are...move on to your next spot. No reason to stay.

M

P.s. Are we spelling that town right?

Archived