Tow systems and break systems

Twotoes

Not sure if this is the correct place for this subject but could use your opinions. I am in the process of purchasing a Class A Diesel pusher. Looking to tow a Jeep Wrangler. I am between a Blue Ox and a Roadmaster tow system. Also between the SMI Air Force One and the Roadmaster Invisibrake breaking systems. Thanks in advance for all your responses.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

I used a Roadmaster Falcon II (6,000#) with satisfaction until last Feb., when DW's Jeep was destroyed in a collision. My tow bar is in great condtion, the tow bar spreader and parts on the Jeep were destroyed.

I now tow a 1/2T Chevy and use a 10,000# Blue Ox as the truck weighs nearly 6K empty.

I can't speak to those aux. braking systems as I only use a M&G braking system.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I tow my Wrangler with a Blue Ox Avail tow bar and an Invisibrake in the Jeep. It has worked very well and I highly recommend the combination. We have a Smittybilt bumper on the Jeep with tow eyes built in. Blue Ox makes adapters for their tow bars that mate to the Smittybilt tow eyes that also work perfectly, so no need for a baseplate on the Jeep.

We don't tow behind a pusher, but behind a fifth wheel. Because of this, I wanted a very stable and reliable set up. The Blue Ox and Invisibrake have definitely been that.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

We used a Roadmaster Stirling All Terrain tow bar and the SMI Air Force One and loved it. They were so easy to connect and disconnect that even I, with my limited mobility, could do them. We have no experience with the other system so cannot do a comparison of the two.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Roadmaster tow bar and SMI Air Force one here. Works well, and as mentioned very easy to hook up and unhook.

Have a Rockhard front bumper with built in eyes for the attachment to the jeep. Highly recommend.

I like offroading and the brackets which I originally put on were fairly low on the front end, which got me looking at the Rockhard bumper. If you go the Roadmaster route, I have a set of brackets in the garage which were only used a couple of times, but not recommended if you seriously like to go offroad

Rich and Carol

2007 Dynamax DQ 340 XL

The two tow-bars that you are considering are the leading brands and you will find that each one has it's supporters but very few of us have used both brands. Most people who are happy with the product that they start with tend to stay with that particular manufacturer in the future and I believe that it is true for tow-bars as well. I have a long history with Blue Ox and stay with them but know many just as happy with Roadmaster. In my view, you need to compare prices and features of each one and then make your choice. There are several other companies that make that same equipment, such as Demco, and they too have their supporters.

With auxiliary brake systems, there are even more choices and opinions. I have extensive experience towing with a choice different from what you suggest but I'd probably consider other choices if in your position. Since your going with a diesel, as long as it has air brakes (a few don't) then I'd probably pick a system for the tow car that takes advantage of that. Again, study the features of each system and consider what is most important to you. Both of them have many supporters who feel the one that they use is the only good choice, and that might be true for the one posting, but that does not make the supporter of the other product wrong.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I'll be another one that mentions a different braking system:)! And I'll confess this was from research 10+ years ago, so things do change.

US Gear. Had a few features, some others had to at that time, but to the best of my memory, only US Gear had all of these features back then:

-12V Power feed from coach to toad

-Proportional braking, where the harder the coaches stoping, the more the toad brake is applied

-In coach braking force adjustment. From 1 - 10 range. (When installed in our Bounder F53 chassis, I'd set this to 7 - 8 for down hill grades. Usually just leave it set to 5 now on our DP.)

-In coach lever control toad brake activation. (This comes in real handy when we've just hooked up the toad, and both arms have not locked. When taking off on a upward grade, that is not a problem. When taking off on a downward grade, the side that is not locked (Stirling All Terrain) is the side the toad will drift towards. When taking off from in front of our vacation home in San Diego, this is downward grade, with also the crown in the road, and when needing to cut left pretty hard to get around the neighbors car parked in front of us, that resulted in the toad sliding to the right and sometimes it would kiss the curb. By applying the in coach lever to apply toad braking, this keeps the toad more centered behind us, and allows us to get out onto the street with the coach and toad aligned. The final arm 'locks', and then we're good to go.) (Sorry if I did a bad job on describing this feature, and how handy it is at first take off:)!)

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

I don't think any of us said this but the most important part of any towing system is "all terrain". You never want to HAVE to be straight and level to hook or unhook.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

My DW and I bought a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee.Overland with Quadra Trac II Transfer Case. We bought it to use as a Toad behind our 2005 Fleetwood 26Q, I have started looking for a Tow Bar and base plate set up. I have seen several Blue Ox set up's on older JGC's any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Remember..."Without Truck Drivers America Stops" 

"I woke up still not dead again today!"
"Take me to the Brig....I want to see the real Marines" Lt.Gen. L.B. "Chesty" Puller during a Battalion inspection.
"Semper Fi"

My DW and I bought a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee.Overland with Quadra Trac II Transfer Case. We bought it to use as a Toad behind our 2005 Fleetwood 26Q, I have started looking for a Tow Bar and base plate set up. I have seen several Blue Ox set up's on older JGC's any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I didn't tow any Jeep vehicles but used Blue Ox for years and was very happy with the products and the factory support. Roadmaster is the other company that is probably shares the top of the reputations in the RV community. If it were me, I'd probably shop both brands and buy best upon best price. I give the Blue Ox a slight edge because I like the fact that when the tow-bar is not in use the connection points are easily removed so that nothing shows on the front of the vehicle.

Probably the next most popular brand would be Demco.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I don't think any of us said this but the most important part of any towing system is "all terrain". You never want to HAVE to be straight and level to hook or unhook.

Linda Sand

I'll 2nd, 3rd, and 4th this.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I didn't tow any Jeep vehicles but used Blue Ox for years and was very happy with the products and the factory support. Roadmaster is the other company that is probably shares the top of the reputations in the RV community. If it were me, I'd probably shop both brands and buy best upon best price. I give the Blue Ox a slight edge because I like the fact that when the tow-bar is not in use the connection points are easily removed so that nothing shows on the front of the vehicle.

Probably the next most popular brand would be Demco.

I found a dealer here in San Diego, and will take the Jeep out there tomorrow. The young man I talked to said that he really did not know anything about any of the tow bar and base plates that they sell. He did give me the name of one of the people out at their shop that does the install's on all of the systems. (He said that they sold several brands) He said that if any one could answer my questions it was him. Said he was not there today but would be there in the morning. The young man suggested I bring the Jeep so they could see it and take measurements. They are the closestBlue Ox Dealer and Authorized service center. Thanks for your thoughts.

"Take me to the Brig....I want to see the real Marines" Lt.Gen. L.B. "Chesty" Puller during a Battalion inspection.
"Semper Fi"

If not too late. San Diego Trailer Supply has been doing competent work for more decades then I care to admit:)! (Remember doing to their shop with my Dad when I was around 7-8 years old, to have a trailer hitch installed on his 1955 Desoto:)!)

They installed our baseplate braking system, and as part of that they properly aligned the RV hitch to the right height for good angle. (I see so many people with the tow bars angling 'down' vs 'up' towards the coach. Two times I've seen where people with bad angled tow bars, made panic stops, and their toad was up and damaging their RV. (Talked with one gent, and he did not have a braking system in his CJ5... Said he would do so now.)

The key thing about San Diego Trailer Supply, is they do it the right way, or they just won't do it. Big Dave runs the shop area, and is a real stickler on safety.

Best of luck to you, and sorry if this is too late:)!

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

If not too late. San Diego Trailer Supply has been doing competent work for more decades then I care to admit:)! (Remember doing to their shop with my Dad when I was around 7-8 years old, to have a trailer hitch installed on his 1955 Desoto:)!)

They installed our baseplate braking system, and as part of that they properly aligned the RV hitch to the right height for good angle. (I see so many people with the tow bars angling 'down' vs 'up' towards the coach. Two times I've seen where people with bad angled tow bars, made panic stops, and their toad was up and damaging their RV. (Talked with one gent, and he did not have a braking system in his CJ5... Said he would do so now.)

The key thing about San Diego Trailer Supply, is they do it the right way, or they just won't do it. Big Dave runs the shop area, and is a real stickler on safety.

Best of luck to you, and sorry if this is too late:)!

Smitty

I was going to take the Jeep out to them today. But I have a Back Injury, and some days I can move and some days I can not move. Today is one of those days.

If I am up to it tomorrow I will drive out there and have them look at the vehicle. I have never heard a bad word about them.

Thank you for the recommendation.

"Semper Fi"

We also don't tow a jeep however have been very happy with our blue ox and the Air Force One breaking system

Just as an FYI. We bought our stuff this time of year and found several companies that had super deals on both systems ( check Dyers, PPL). We bought our systems and had them shipped to us and then let the RV dealer install. Saved us a bundle.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Confused by the title . . . and break systems. You mean of course . . . and brake systems. I had to read a few of the comments before it made sense. Not being critical but there is a difference.

HAVE A happy . .

Happy Trails,

Florida Mike

EXPERTS AREN'T!! :D

The above post is what I posted before. I just talked to the dealer here in San Diego, San Diego Trailer Supply. I had a very learning conversation with the man there. I asked about the wiring system that they recommend for Blue Ox, The man I talked to said they wire into the electrical system for all of the lights. (Tail Lights and Marker lights) He Recommended the SMI Stay and Play Brake system, Does anyone have experience with that system. He recommended it because or RV is a Class C Gas Powered RV.

"Semper Fi"

The above post is what I posted before. I just talked to the dealer here in San Diego, San Diego Trailer Supply. I had a very learning conversation with the man there. I asked about the wiring system that they recommend for Blue Ox, The man I talked to said they wire into the electrical system for all of the lights. (Tail Lights and Marker lights) He Recommended the SMI Stay and Play Brake system, Does anyone have experience with that system. He recommended it because or RV is a Class C Gas Powered RV.

I use the SMI Stay & Play, love it. Set it one time and it has been doing its thing on every stop without issue. Also used the light wiring system that uses all the factory lights in my Cadillac and like how nice and easy it is to plug in and go. I also have a Class C and tow a 2015 Cadiiiac SRX

Stacey Frank
SKP #67438
2013 Tiffin Allegro RED 34QFA

2015 Cadillac SRX
2019 Tesla Model X

1991 Avanti Convertible

Do a search on this site. I have no personal experience, but have read others positive reports.

I did a search and could not find anything on the brakes system. Maybe I did it wrong, I'mnot really that computer savey.

"Semper Fi"

Archived