WARNING TO HOUSTON DRIVERS

weaverworks

WARNING.....WARNING – To all you Rv'ers that know the best time to drive through Houston is on the weekends. You might want to re-consider that from now through most of December. All lanes of I-45 will be closed Friday evening through Sunday every weekend so a damaged bridge can be re-built. This will cause massive delays on I-10 and ALL THE MAJOR HIGHWAYS around the city by people trying to bypass this closure.

You might want to make the drive during the week between 10:00 am and 3:00 pm.

Good Luck :wacko:

Paul & Marsha Weaver
Bella our cat
2008 Carriage Cameo 35' SB3
2010 Ford F350 DRW
Blog: http://wheresweaver.blogspot.com
SKP# 102686

Where is the bridge located?

All lanes of I-45 are closed between I-10 and I-59/I-69.

TxDOT is closing the freeway to begin work on the demolition of the West Dallas Bridge over I-45.

Paul & Marsha Weaver
Bella our cat
2010 Ford F350 DRW
SKP# 102686

WARNING.....WARNING – To all you Rv'ers that know the best time to drive through Houston is on the weekends. You might want to re-consider that from now through most of December. All lanes of I-45 will be closed Friday evening through Sunday every weekend so a damaged bridge can be re-built. This will cause massive delays on I-10 and ALL THE MAJOR HIGHWAYS around the city by people trying to bypass this closure.

Thanks for the tip. Good info for anyone going through Houston.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

It is really difficult to bypass Houston if you are going east or west on I-10.

Unless you are taking a leisurely trip, then going down to the coast line west of Galveston, take the free state ferry to Port Bolivar and follow the coast line to over near Beaumont.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

I normally recommend that people just avoid the major rush hours and tough it out on I10. My guess is that this weekend with I45's "gut" though downtown closed that it might be better to take 610 up and over.

Yes, if you must travel but expect heavy traffic from everyone else doing similar re-routing.

My daughter lives in downtown Houston and she advised us to not venture into town to visit. "It's crazy." We are in Stafford, TX which is South of the city on I-59.

Paul & Marsha Weaver
Bella our cat
2010 Ford F350 DRW
SKP# 102686

All lanes of I-45 are closed between I-10 and I-59/I-69.

TxDOT is closing the freeway to begin work on the demolition of the West Dallas Bridge over I-45.

Yep, that will definitely put traffic over to IH10 and IH69. One alternative to going through Houston on IH10 would be to take the 610 North Loop.

Thanks for the heads up.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Thanks for the info! We will be going to Beaumont next moth from Bryan/College Station and will just take 105 to Vidor then down. Again, thank you!

\Michael

Life is too short so live each day as if it were your last! ~Michael

• 2 weeks later...

For those who don't know, the tollway known as TX99 is open from US 59 north to US 59 south, running around the north and west side of Houston. It's a longer route, but it misses the worst of what Houston has to offer.

2008 Ford F350 PowerStroke DRW
2006 Raptor 3813
2007 Harley Davidson ElectraGlide Classic

2010 Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra Classic
Street/Strip Harley Sportster Racebike
SFC (ret) US Army

For those who don't know, the tollway known as TX99 is open from US 59 north to US 59 south, running around the north and west side of Houston. It's a longer route, but it misses the worst of what Houston has to offer.

Be aware that TX-99 also known as the Grand Parkway is a TAG ONLY road. No cash toll booths. :o

Paul & Marsha Weaver
Bella our cat
2010 Ford F350 DRW
SKP# 102686

I normally recommend that people just avoid the major rush hours and tough it out on I10. My guess is that this weekend with I45's "gut" though downtown closed that it might be better to take 610 up and over.

We usually go around Houston on Highway 8, the Sam Houston Expressway which is the "outer beltway". Sure it costs a few dollars but traffic is almost always lighter than on I-610. Personally, I am happy to use toll roads to avoid congestion.

Yes, it is a TAG road (we have a pass) but I'm pretty sure they do "toll by mail" for a modest additional fee. And before I had the TX tag I found that I often didn't get charged for TX toll roads, anyway. I have a hunch that sending toll bills to out of state residents doesn't yield a lot of payments.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Archived