Route Advice Please

DoubleDRv

Very popular truck route, attributes as mentioned above. Always more fun to get off the interstates and use the extensive US highway network that was built prior, and by and large has been improved. Going through the towns, stopping and seeing the real America is always a treat.

Pick up a Rand McNally Truck Edition Atlas, which highlights the "National Network", all the interstates and any highway designated legal for 102" wide 53' trailers. You can't go wrong on any of those routes, with rare exceptions

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

While traveling next year (March 2017) we are wondering about a stretch of road from Amarillo NM to Fort Worth TX on Highway 287.

Is there an Amarillo in NM? I'm pretty sure that you mean in Texas.

Man have I driven that route a lot of times! We lived in the panhandle and drove it more times than I can remember.

I lived in Ft. Worth and drove to the panhandle as part of my work! Typical of Texas major highways, well maintained, nice wide lanes and easy driving, but wind occasionally can be a problem. It isn't the most scenic stretch in TX but it is good road and there are a few interesting places to stop.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

i had not been that way in several years or more until this year and I was caught by surprise with the construction weffy mentioned. I hit it at a bad time but not the worst and had some issue with getting my lanes and exits right. I used to go that way a lot and it was almost like somewhere I had never been as I was approaching Ft. Worth. I ended up on 820 to I20 going east and even that was a bit of a shock. I got pretty fatigued dealing with it and ended up overnighting at Cedar Hill St Pk.

Archived