Moving From SnB To RV How Much Items Did You Keep

Just wondering how many of you wished you'd taken more of certain items out of your SnB into the RV than disposed of or felt you took too much, making it awkward for retrieval by overloading cupboards etc?

As a very generalised example: Did you take Four of each Bath Sheets, Regular Towels, Hand Towels, Facecloths? Do you wish you'd only taken two or six of each by comparison? One Beach Towel each or Four? How much of certain items crockery/glasses etc did you take and wish you'd taken more of or vice versa. Just wondering if we should have extra than we maybe think we would need by not considering something = we don't know what we don't know.

Appreciate as has been stated in many threads, there's always a Walmart nearby to get more of what you want if you find something's missing on the road but we are trying to set ourselves up to meet our budget as best we can without wastefulness by rebuying what we inadvertently disposed of that was still usable for a few years.

Many thanks for sharing based on your experience transferring from the SnB to the RV and being on the road for a while.

When we transitioned from our S&B to full-time RV'ing, we decided to err on the side of less, rather than more. And it turns out that we've not had any significant regrets or wishes to have something that we got rid of.

For instance, we both are happy using our bath towels (we each have one) several days in a row. We have one spare each, which is used either when we need a dry/clean towel or when we go swimming. No separate beach towels, just four bath towels, four wash clothes, and (maybe) two or three hand towels for the bath and that many dish towels in the kitchen. That is an example of us doing with less, rather than more.

That being said, I know folks who will only use a bath towel once, and insist on carrying a weeks worth at a minimum. I think that you need to look at your practices/preferences in your S&B and assume that for the most part, they'll carry over into your RV.

We don't entertain much, so we have four place settings and a similar amount of flatware, cups, bowls, etc. We usually wash dishes after each meal, but can skip a wash and still have enough dishes for a second meal if need be. But again, we know folks who are ready to feed 8 folks at any time, or expect regular visits from grand-kids or family, and carry back-ups beyond that. For us, more folks mean paper plates and Solo cups.

One place that we are willing to "splurge" a bit is hobbies. Teri crochets pretty much every day, and so likes to keep her "stash" of different colored yarns so that she can start a new afghan any time. I fly model planes and carry three different planes and a small helicopter. Obviously for some folks these things would seem excessive, but those are the choices we made.

So overall I would suggest being a little bold in keeping less than you think you might need. You might be pleasantly surprised at what you can live without. And make sure that you've left room/capacity for hobbies, either current or future!!

Mark

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

I think most people will tell you that they took more than they needed and have pared down along the way. After 8 ½ yrs we are still taking things to Goodwill. The problem is we clear things out and then over the course of the year 'stuff' must grow in the empty space, because it will be full again when we stop for the winter and we take another load or two to Goodwill. Only you can decide how much you need to take - start by putting everything you AREN'T going to take in a separate room, if possible, and see if you have trouble with just what you have set out. At the same time, you will be able to tell whether there are some things you aren't using - move them to the separate room. Keep moving until you find you need to get something out of that room. That will be your stopping point.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Some of what you take depends on your rv and how much storage you have. We took clothing for 4 seasons and have not regretted it. Have 2 sets of cotton sheets, and 2 sets of flannel sheets. Yes, it does get cold even here in the south. I took 2 regular size skillets, 2 small ones, 2 small saucepans, 2 largers sauce pans. The bakeware needed to fit in my convection oven, so the pizza pans serve dual or triple purpose. I have 2 6 muffin , muffin tins, 2 small cake pans, 1 pie plate (glass) and some of those things serve dual purpose. I have dinnerware for six and flatware for 12. I brought all my sharp knives of various types in my knife block and 3 casserole dishes of various size and the list goes on. I do have more storage than many have though.

I have now been picking up new sheets, bath towels, kitchen towel and dishclothes when I see them on sale and tucking them away. The ones we started with are starting to show their age and will go to the rag bag soon. I will then have new for us to use.

Pat DeJong

As my DW was in charge of what went inside but I'll make a couple of comments. We took two sets of sheets and have added one but only because one set wore out. We brought too many towels and have eliminated several over the past three years (I still feel we have too many but we have room so no problem). I'll admit that I still have too many clothes and I need to go through them and fet rid of items that I don't use. No comment about DW's clothes. DW quilts and she brought great quanties of material for quilting. After on year she did go through the material and cut it into sizes that would work for quilting and got rid of the remainder. Also much has been used up making quilts and some has been aded when we visit quit shops. She has her space for material and as long as it stays withing that space I don't have a problem. As far as cooking utensils we have more than we use but a lot let than most people carry.

We have more space than we use so my biggest concern is weight and not taking up space.

Dave and Marge

2010 Phaeton Motor Home
Previous Mobile Suites 36 RSSB3 (for sale)
and 2005 FL M2-106 Sport (for sale after 5er sells)

I also believe that most people find that they took too much. I am sure that most of us found something that we didn't take enough of or which we didn't take but should have, but too much is far more common than too little in most areas. It is Pam's department, but I believe that we took two sets of sheets and three sets of towels.

I took one tie and sport coat, both of which fell away under the "one year rule" as we went nearly two years and had never worn them. Pam had a fancy dress that went with the jacket to Goodwill.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

For kitchen items we started placing things we used all in one spot. When we needed something we went to that spot first. We only added things to that spot when we needed them. After a couple weeks of that we knew which items we would be taking with us. Then we added a few specialty items like wiener forks we didn't use at home but would want for campfire cooking. Do remember to bring hot pads and an empty jar for used grease.

You can do a similar thing with clothes and other items.

If you hang clothes, turn all the hangers backwards. When you wear an item, turn the hanger the right way. As departure time nears, donate all the clothes still on backwards hangers.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

As always sound advice from everyone, ironically it was after I had a bath two nights ago and I was drying and thought, hmmm I wonder how many towels we should take that led to this. It's going to be so different for us compared to our typical 3 to 6/8 week jaunts of the past, and I just hate to waste money and resources unnecessarily by throwing stuff out that still has some use to it, only to find we need to replace it again. Likewise, our incomes are going to change exponentially. Thanks so much as always to you all. Funny how each time now I am doing something totally unrelated it'll stir up a "i wonder for the RV lifestyle" thought.

Mark - we are like you, our towels get reused more than once or twice before laundry so appears two or three sets will definitely suffice. Good tip on hobbies, hubby's fishing is already taking up 3 bays on drivers side (LOL). I take over a couple of small cupboards over the dash for all my needs which are jigsaws, magazines, board & card games & computer related stuff basically. I used to crochet and knit 30+ years ago, before "every day life responsibilities" got in the way. Maybe it's something I'll get back into over time. Teri did a fabulous job on that Gator Afghan :)

Barb, I've already taken car loads to Cerebral Palsy which they get paid on weight from Value Village (clothes wise). We are typically minimalist/non-consumerism driven (if that is possible in this day and age!) for the most part trying to avoid waste but whilst still needing a homey and functional feel around us. Slowly but surely we are setting aside some tote boxes in a spare room, and starting to fill them with stuff we don't think we'll be using much, and our daughter will allow us to store some stuff initially, which we will revisit after 3 years and pare down even moreso. Anything she can utilize rather than store she's welcome to. All we've asked her to do is not dispose of any of our stuff they inherit when taking over here for the first couple or three years, but feel free to replace, and put ours in storage in the basement in the short term.

Pat, your comments have me now on the look out for a set of flannel sheets (something we've not used for over 25 years), but living in a tin can I think that is a good idea compared to SnB insulation we are used to currently in winter. We are thinking layers as we have been used to here in Alberta for many years, plus a couple of thicker jackets/pants just in case and based on some of the temperatures we've seen referenced the past two winters in the RGV, AZ, San Diego etc.

Dave & Kirk -I am confident as you've mentioned, we will have more utensils than we will utilize and dispose of on our travels over time no doubt to make better use of the space. For formal wear Kirk, we are thinking a pair of good dress pants and couple of tops to dress up for any more semi formal occasion will suffice, I'm sure as Linda said they will end up being the coat hangers that don't get turned around for a very long time, but nice to have. We'll carry a few small accessories to make things seasonal where we can we thought ie; Christmas, Thanksgiving, if we make some friends (that's another one of my thoughts = feeling isolated or becoming recluses). Marge, how gifted you are! What a beautiful pink quilt you've made.

Having done quite a bit of camping type RVing for several years we've managed to assemble the grills, weiner sticks, axe, clothes pegs, plastic table cloth/seat covers etc. It just got me thinking that the RV is now going to be more of a "home" than in the past and we'd be doing things a lot slower and a lot different than in the past. We are thinking we need to get a Mr Heater/Buddy for taking chills off morning and evenings, versus the fan heater we've used in the past.

It was suggested that to invite folks to start a conversation, carry at least 4 chairs and place them out around your site, so we are going to double on our chairs. Hopefully we'll get the nice folks like you guys sitting down to chit chat otherwise I guess we'll just reduce back down to two chairs PDQ :lol:

We were like Mark in that less is better. We took very few things from the house because of size and weight. Our 12 place dinner ware setting had no place in our MH. We have a four place setting of Corell instead. If we entertain more than two its paper plates. Pretty much expected n the RV community. There was no way we were going to fit our cookware in the MH. Purchased a set of nesting cookware with removeable handles (Rapid Chef). Four towels, two beach, three hand, four dish, etc... No "real glass" glasses. Instead we have six Tervus tumblers, six wine glasses, etc. we did keep a 12 place set of silverware. One set of sheets; strip the bed, washe 'em, put 'em back on.

My main wardrobe consists of four jeans, two khaki, and two light weight hiking pants. . Four long sleeve shirts, four short sleeve, two polo and a bunch of T-shirts. Oh yea, I have one dress outfit in case someone I know dies and one work outfit that I don't care if it gets paint or stains.

As you start to think about equipping your RV there is one word that should be formost in your mind.. SIMPLIFY. Start with less. If you need something more then you can get it later. You will be surprised at how much you just don't need.

We also were less is best. Corelle for 8 which in a year became for 4.I did splurge and bring my good flatware. I love the weight of it in my hand. 2 sets towels\cloths with a couple older big ones thrown in for just in case times and 2 sets of sheets( one flannel one cotton) Cookware is one 12" skillet, 1qt & 2qt sauce pan,

5" cast iron skillet. 1 12" saucier pan which is 2qt and a 6qt soup pot. Pizza pans for baking etc, 2 corelle pie plates which serve lots of purposes. Well you get the idea

I did take my kitchen aid mixer which now resides with our DIL but the bread machine came with. We had added a small crock pot and a small fryer. I have prepared full course meals for 6\8 with these things.

Generally most things serve a couple purposes

Clothing is easy couple pair jeans, shorts etc. However we have our own w\d stackables so easy to keep clothes clean

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Just remember, you need a space to store everything you carry. Also remember everything you carry adds some weight to your RV. It does not seem that a fork or a towel will cause problems, but just think how much space that towel takes in a closet. We found that a really nice higher end towel will last longer, feel better and takes on showers for several days between washing than those smaller, less expensive towels. In this way 2 towels each was enough for us. We also have utensils for at least 4, but whenever we have guests over, it is generally outside and we find ourselves using plastic and throwaway dishes more often than not. Plus this has the added advantage of requiring less dish washing! :rolleyes:

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

I have been grappling with this same issue as we pair down. I already keep minimal amounts in my house, so I'm not going to change going into the 5th wheel. My husband and I each have 1 bath towel. We use it for days, I wash it, and back to using it. I should probably get us each another one though. We have 4 hand towels and 2 wash cloths. I have two sets of sheets, one for summer, one for winter. I just use them, wash them, and put them back on.

As for kitchen stuff....I'm only keeping service for 4. Nothing glass, it's either melamine or Corelle. Plastic cups, plastic wine glasses. 2 skillets and 4 pots. Bakeware I have to buy the shiny stuff for the convection oven.

Clothes, I have gotten rid of a LOT. I'm keeping simple colors that go with each other and 4 pairs of shoes.

I am a painter so I've gotten my hobbie to fit in a plastic tool box. Hubby has a small quad copter he flies. My dog, on the other hand, has a LOT of stuff! He's on a prescription special diet so I plan on carrying 25 lbs of dry food and a case or two of canned food.

If I need anything, I figure there's always a Walmart nearby.

It's all fine and dandy until someone's marshmallow catches fire!

2015 Ford F-250 6.2L (She ain't diesel but she hauls ass!)

2012 Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS

Http://www.5thwheelgypsy.blogspot.com

I guess I'm not a very good host. I don't carry extra dishes and such for guests.. well.. a few paper plates, plastic forks, and some styrofoam cups. It's just me so, 2 cups, 2 plates, 2 bowls, 4 spoons, 2 forks, cutting knives... my french press doubles as a traveling mug.

That being said.. I've never heard anyone getting a free meal or cup of coffee complain when I tell them, "go getcha a plate n a mug." :lol: :lol:

Some folks I see from year to year in the same areas I've already got trained. When they come calling.. they have their mugs in hand in the morning and their sippin cups at night. LOL

From what I've read, pretty much all RVers will BYOP (bring their own plates) because we're all in the same boat (so to speak). Pretty cool really cause that also means they have to wash their own plate!

It's all fine and dandy until someone's marshmallow catches fire!

2015 Ford F-250 6.2L (She ain't diesel but she hauls ass!)

2012 Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS

Http://www.5thwheelgypsy.blogspot.com

From what I've read, pretty much all RVers will BYOP (bring their own plates) because we're all in the same boat (so to speak).

They may not do so unless asked, but none of them think a thing of being asked to bring dishes, eating utensils or even coffee cups. And when we don't bring our own we typically expect the meal or refreshments to be served in disposable ware. Pam & I used a lot of disposable stuff while traveling just to save on the need for kitchen chores and even now that we are back to part-time we still do that much more than we did prior to our fulltime experience. You will also find that larger gatherings are no longer in homes but either outside or in the community center since your living quarters are such that nobody has room for a larger gathering.

And bring your own chair is also part of the lifestyle! :P

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We have a set of four corelle and we just brought our flatware from the house. Just about anytime there is a dinner it is usually understood to bring you own service unless is is just another couple. The RV park we are currently in has a potluck dinner every Friday night and you always bring you own service.

Dave and Marge

2010 Phaeton Motor Home
Previous Mobile Suites 36 RSSB3 (for sale)
and 2005 FL M2-106 Sport (for sale after 5er sells)

Archived