Getting FT heebie-jeebies!

I had thought my biggest problem would be selling my condo, so I put it up for sale three months before I retired and planned to leave. It sold within five day, and then I started to panic about having a place to live.

We put our house up 6 months before and it sold in 6 weeks. We moved into the motorhome and lived my last 6 weeks working in it, but that turned out to not be a bad thing since it allowed us to make a lot of adjustments before we actually began our fulltime travels. It was a great decision and lead to some of the best experiences of our lives!

Oh good, I'm not the only one who gets the jitters every now and then. The emptier the house gets, the more it happens.

I like to compare the move to fulltime as the sort of lifestyle change that is just as significant as moving to start a new career or even getting married. It is a complete change of life direction and does warrant a great deal of thought and planning. Anyone who thinks is bound to experience at least some nervous moments. If you use them right they can be a very good thing as it gives you cause to reexamine the decisions you are making before you totally commit. Selling everything is a big step and very close to burning bridges so people should do this carefully and make sure it is really what they want to do. You will actually be moving from the community where you have lived your life up to now to join one that is completely new and foreign to you. It is an exciting thing and nervousness is a normal thing!

I first began to follow and read RV forums and forums about fulltime RV living back about 1990. Over the years I have observed many people come to the lifestyle and go through the things that you are now addressing. As I look back I suspect that no more than 20% of those who join forums with plans to go fulltime are still doing so after 3 years. I'm not sure that it is that high. The share that are still out on the road after 5 years is much smaller but it also seems that those who do stay out for 5 years are mostly still on the road after 10 years. Once you pass the 10 year point it usually takes some major life event to force those remaining folks off of the road. This usually means things like a major family event/need, age & health of the travelers, death of one partner, or something of that sort of life changing experience. When you make the fulltime lifestyle a permanent part of your life, that lifestyle makes permanent changes in you. You will never look at life in the same way, once you are truly become a fulltimer (whatever you define that as). :)

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Oh good, I'm not the only one who gets the jitters every now and then. The emptier the house gets, the more it happens. But, I just keep reminding myself that I really want to do this and if for some crazy reason it doesn't work out, that's ok too!

Russ

I think this signature line I saw in another group applies here:

"In the end, regrets rarely come from things done, but from things not even tried."

Archived