48" Sleeper too small for RV conversion?

CrazyCooter

Well I'm super bummed......

I went to go do the deal today, but first I wanted to speak with Teresa at Bracken...... As of right now, there is no known way to convert an HDT to a motorhome in CA. I thought OK I would just pay the weight fees and reg as a truck, but I guess that opens up another huge can of worms and paperwork that a person who is just camping can't justify or keep up with let alone the costs!

As with a lot of things in life, I waited just a little too long! :blink:

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

Say what????

Did she say why?

Going private is a can of worms but depending how much you drive can be done.

When I first got my truck. We ran it private inCA

Just lowered the weight rating down to 34 K

Paid $700 a year on a $ 5000. 1997 Pete

At the time as long as I did not drive the truck more than 2500 miles a year I did not have to have a particulate filter. But that was over five years ago things could have changed.

This is why I asked...

Because we are automatically a CMV if unladen weight exceeds 8,000lb, bed over 9'/not open box type, and GVW over 10,000lb....this requires a motor carrier permit, $125 for a single vehicle. Then fees on a 35K tag is $801 plus license and other fees. There is an exemption for two axle tractors under 16,000lb until Jan 1 2016, but this will just bite me later. Then there is all the other stuff that goes with the permit...Insurance, work comp, log book, etc. There are exemptions to some of this stuff, but there are forms to fill out to prove it.

Read here:https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vehindustry/mcp/mcpfaq/!ut/p/a1/hVBdT4MwFP0tPtA317JF3UwaU3Hse25-IOPFdKUrIKOsLZD9ewvxQRONN-m9vac35_QeGMEQRgWtU0FNKguat310_b6YPYzd6QQtJldLgshiOn0MxkF_MhrA-X8DIdz11cpbCRiV1CSXaXGQMKx5khZxpY06w_DIyi4d6Am-wahjRH8EQa2kyOW--92OFPvB0HIrfuCKq16lLJwYU-pbBzmoaZqekFLkvMfk0UH2-U5TbIBiBmfghAHXimENtKwU47jhe8Bi7AJGY6wyCipqB4eg5jFGnoe2fkYIsCy403DcAXHcvt-eVio-1j1GrWLdIqVUhubtzeJd4YamHfBt_7a1y38V6wHgKR6zm49g84LuZbWU22c_201nXgMqLTDxt5m39mf-fOzS5ejm9CSTaBPO-etrTc5utBBAp6KPveC4JsnDbyYlUhsY_vQGlh_RblMOz4NcXHwCOnod-Q!!/#whodoes

This truck has a recert sticker in the door from an upfitter lowering it's gvw to 26K which helps a little....But how does traveling over state lines at 34-35K in a commercial vehicle treated? I know it "Shouldn't" a problem because we are a person operating for personal use and not engaged in commerce, but someday I'm going to be on the side of the road arguing with someone who thinks otherwise.....

2,500 miles wouldn't cover our travels. One trip to Wyoming and it would be maxed for the year?

Still considering the SD reg route just to try the HDT method out as this opportunity will never come at a cheaper cost.....it may not work for us and id like to try with minimal loss. I would sure hate to jump in and spend $40-70K on a pimp ride and find out it just doesn't work for us.If it works, then after we retire and bail this state it won't be an issue hopefully.

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

Wow things must have changed. Bracken has helped a lot of people. You are correct going commercial would not work for you. You would need to get a fuel permit for each state real pain. And realistically would need to go through the scales. I would say keep your eye out for one already titled as a motorhome. A friend of mine just sold his so they are out there.

Archived