Any product to restore color to floor mats?

Brad & Jacolyn

Good Morning,

The floor mats in the Volvo are starting to show their age and are stained. Jacolyn wants to try some dash restorer on them to cover the stains and restore the color. However she wants me to pull the seats out to do it. She says it sounds like a Hutch job where there is lots of strong help because I've had the seats out before and they weigh about 150 - 200 pounds each. Needless to say I'm not real thrilled to do this again. So does anyone know of a product to accomplish what she wants to do? And more importantly something that can be done without removing the seats??

Thanks

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Good Morning,

The floor mats in the Volvo are starting to show their age and are stained. Jacolyn wants to try some dash restorer on them to cover the stains and restore the color. However she wants me to pull the seats out to do it. She says it sounds like a Hutch job where there is lots of strong help because I've had the seats out before and they weigh about 150 - 200 pounds each. Needless to say I'm not real thrilled to do this again. So does anyone know of a product to accomplish what she wants to do? And more importantly something that can be done without removing the seats??

Thanks

Brad

Brad,

RandyA painted his with something from Home Depot if I recall. Maybe he will chime in. Will see if I can find that post and add to the thread.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Try plastic dye from an auto parts store or automotive paint supply. It is designed to be sprayed on flexible plastic. It you use regular paint, most of them will require adhesion promoter to let the paint stick long term.

Edit:

This is what I use on faded interiors; http://www.eastwood.com/paints/interior-dyes.html

Watch the video to see some of what you can do with interiors dyes and paint. We have taken black dash panels and turned them into factory looking tan panels with a few spray cans and a little time.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

I found the spray plastic paints (dye) give too thin of a coat to hold up for very long on floor mats. They are great for recoloring interior trim not walked on. If you try to build the thickness with additional coats it will crack and peel (been there - done that.). Water born urethane, acrylic and epoxy paints are quite different from latex paints even a decade ago. The solids are only suspended in water rather than dissolved like the old stuff. They are amazingly durable and have good adhesion to clean, oil-free surfaces. Shucks, they paint swimming pools with them, even some with vinyl liners and they stay on for years and years! No problem if you want to use an adhesion primer - but if the mats are squeaky clean it hasn't proven to be necessary. You have to get oil, dirt and cleaner completely off the mats before painting. Scrub, rinse, wet vac up water, rinse, wet vac again and dry with a towel. If the towel shows dirt clean again. Proper prep is the hard part of the job.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

All Just a note IRT spraying. From the early 60's to the late 60's my daddy made a living spraying head liners, door panels.floor mats. package panels. or anything else any car lot within a 150 mile radius of Roanoke Va wanted dyed. I'm just making mention Be Safe. In the confined space of a truck cab the fumes can be a danger and maybe deadly. So what ever you do Be Safe. Daddy died from throat cancer at 68. Back then he just used dust mask. Did that cause the cancer? Unknown but I'll bet it sure didn't help! Pat

The Old Sailor

Archived