Beartooth Pass

mr. cob

Howdy All

I would like to show my wife some of the great roads I have traveled many times for many years while riding motorcycles but never paid attention to how suited they would be to large RVs such as ours. Has anyone driven hwy 14 or 14a, Chief Joseph Hwy, or over Beartooth Pass with their HDT and large RV trailer?

Any advise will be appreiciated thanks.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

In case you don't remember all of your drive with the motorcycle, scour this official site to jog your memory. :) Personally, I wouldn't drive your rig on it - very curvy and steep. Park the RV and drive your vehicle only. You...and especially, your wife....will it enjoy it more.

http://beartoothhighway.com/

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Have not been that way. It was a question on another forum. Basically they said use 16 and don't think about using 14A. You might want to look at this site: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28973-i480-k6051976-Traversing_the_Big_Horn_Mountains-Wyoming.html

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Beartooth is great on a motrorcycle or car but I would never consider taking an RV on it. Not Hwy 14 or 14A. Take the car. Hwy 16 is ok for the RV.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

14A is known by the locals as the "Oh, My God Highway!" That should tell you something!

As others have said, I wouldn't even consider taking an RV on the Beartooth Highway, particularly a large, long one!

If you don't already have one, get a copy of the Mountain Directory West and read what it says about these roads, then decide for yourself whether you want to attempt them with your rig. You can purchase a paper copy of the Directory at numerous places, including their website (www.mountaindirectory.com) or at places like Amazon.com.

You can also go to their website and download their app (for either iPhones/iPads or android phones/tablets) or you can download their ebook if you have a Windows computer.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Beside the challenges of the roads themselves, as I recall there will be relatively few parking areas and overlooks that will be very accommodating for your size rig especially during the busier part of the summer season. If you stay in or near Cody, a loop of the Chief Joseph and Beartooth with a stop in Red Lodge makes a nice day. I seem to recall it is about a 180 mile loop.

Dave,

Do the other motorcyclists a favor, and don't take the camper. In fact, I seem to recall a length restriction on the Bear Tooth.

When we rode it, we were staying in Livingston (Yellowstone's Edge RV Park) http://www.mtrv.com/ and did a loop down through Lamar Valley, out to Red Lodge, up to Columbus, and then slabbed it back to Livingston. A great 300 mile day.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

We went there a few weeks ago in our pickup and I would not tow my fifthwheel on that road and my rig is not as big as yours. Even if you could manage some of the hairpin curves on the switchbacks, you would not be doing the other motorists any favors by towing your rig there.

Howdy All,

Thanks for the many replies, you have confirmed what I had already thought but wanted to see if anyone had driven these roads with a large RV. The loop out of Cody doing Hwy 14 and then 14A or the other way around is one of my favorite motorcycle trips but one I know my wife wouldn't be comfortable riding herself, I am taking the Ural and the Smart Car, on this trip so perhaps we'll get a campsite in the area and use the Smart Car, to see the sights. Like I said I have ridden these roads many times but never paid any attention to what it would be like to drive a large vehicle on them. I guess I'll do some research and look for a suitable camp ground in the area, any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

It is kind of cool how a road that is absolute pay attention work to drive a large heavy vehicle over is a hoot on a motor sickle...

Howdy noteven,

For me its not the "work"of driving such a road with the truck-trailer, truth be told I enjoy such things but then again I have never claimed to be all there as the name of my rig suggests. That said I do NOT want to ruin the fun of others or get myself into a situation where it will endanger others on the road or cause me to incur a massive towing bill and or fine for being on a road I have no business on. I can't remember the name or number of the road but last year when we traveled through much of Utah we were on a road that went north of Zion Park and on the way to the Grand Stair Case Parks, that road was so full of turns you could meet yourself coming, so steep in places the jake brake got a real work out and ran along the top of a ridge for miles where there was massive drop off on both sides, I had a great time driving but you really had to concentrate as there was little or no room for error.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

We did hwy 14 with a 40 MH towing a Ford F150. No issues at all - just steep. Saw many tour buses using that route as well. Going down the east side into Sheridan we follows a cattle trailer loaded with sheep. Jake or exhaust brake IS essential.

Nice forest service campground on Ranger Creek road about 2 miles off of Hwy 14 (about half way up to the summit). Also a dump station near the summit.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

We did hwy 14 with a 40 MH towing a Ford F150. No issues at all - just steep. Saw many tour buses using that route as well. Going down the east side into Sheridan we follows a cattle trailer loaded with sheep. Jake or exhaust brake IS essential.

Nice forest service campground on Ranger Creek road about 2 miles off of Hwy 14 (about half way up to the summit). Also a dump station near the summit.

Lenp

I think he's referring to Hwy 14 farther west, out by Cody, in the Rockies not in the Bighorns. I've pulled a 40 toyhauler with an hdt in the Bighorns with no problems, but haven't been thru Yellowstone with it.

I can't remember the name or number of the road but last year when we traveled through much of Utah we were on a road that went north of Zion Park and on the way to the Grand Stair Case Parks, that road was so full of turns you could meet yourself coming, so steep in places the jake brake got a real work out and ran along the top of a ridge for miles where there was massive drop off on both sides, I had a great time driving but you really had to concentrate as there was little or no room for error.

That road had to be Hwy 12 and we didn't find it nearly as bad as you did. To us there were no hairpin turns and no massive drop offs. To us they were gradual slopes on both sides. It was a very pleasant drive and we did it multiple times.

Beartooth is much worse. Just a case of how others see/do the same thing and have completely different perceptions. :)

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Last summer when we were headed to Cody from Rapid City, we took US 16 from Buffalo to Worland. That seemed challenging enough for me. The first several miles are a pretty steep climb; the fan came on and stayed on. Near the top we did pass a semi truck and trailer that had gone off the road. Kind of looked like the driver had missed a turn, but the trailer was almost still on the road. I remember someone was offloading the cargo (wasn't clear if it was sanctioned or freelance unloading!). Caused a fair backup on the highway. But I would recommend that route over 14 or 14 Alt.

2007 NuWa Hitchhiker Discover America 339RSB

2000 Volvo VNL64T770 with TrailerSaver hitch, wooden flat bed, Detroit 12.7L S60, 10-sp AutoShift, still tandem

That road had to be Hwy 12 and we didn't find it nearly as bad as you did. To us there were no hairpin turns and no massive drop offs. To us they were gradual slopes on both sides. It was a very pleasant drive and we did it multiple times.

Beartooth is much worse. Just a case of how others see/do the same thing and have completely different perceptions. :)

Given his length, I suspect that he was on the West side of Zion as the tunnel has a 50' length restriction. He may have traveled UT-14 and/or UT-12 both of which are found to be challenging to some driving large vehicles.

The easiest route into Cody from the Dakotas is I-90 to Laurel, MT and then south from there on US-212/310 and then either MT-72/WY-120 or MT-114 to US-14A.

Given his length, I suspect that he was on the West side of Zion as the tunnel has a 50' length restriction. He may have traveled UT-14 and/or UT-12 both of which are found to be challenging to some driving large vehicles.

The easiest route into Cody from the Dakotas is I-90 to Laurel, MT and then south from there on US-212/310 and then either MT-72/WY-120 or MT-114 to US-14A.

Howdy trailertraveler,

The roads we took were north and west of Zion, as there was no way we could pass through the tunnel. The road for me was a fun but concentrating drive and the grades did work the truck a bit but I would do it again and probably will.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I have done Chief Joseph with truck and trailer. (Exited YNP via Cooke City/Silver Gate headed towards Cody) Not an issue. I was even behind a DP/Bus conversion having no problems last time. Have done Beartooth several times with toad but never truck and trailer. As pointed out not too many places to pull over and lots of sharp curves. I have seen several RVs on Beartooth but none of the drivers looked like they were having a good time and I almost always could smell brakes. Also when you get near the top of the ski lift, if there is still snow, cars are parked everywhere. I doubt that is a problem late in the season especially since they had a weak snowfall this past winter but potentially an issue.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

I have done Chief Joseph with truck and trailer. (Exited YNP via Cooke City/Silver Gate headed towards Cody) Not an issue. I was even behind a DP/Bus conversion having no problems last time. Have done Beartooth several times with toad but never truck and trailer. As pointed out not too many places to pull over and lots of sharp curves. I have seen several RVs on Beartooth but none of the drivers looked like they were having a good time and I almost always could smell brakes. Also when you get near the top of the ski lift, if there is still snow, cars are parked everywhere. I doubt that is a problem late in the season especially since they had a weak snowfall this past winter but potentially an issue.

Howdy Rick,

Thanks for your reply. I have decided to not take these roads as I do NOT want to endanger or slow other traffic that said I sure would like to as they are beautiful roads if we can find a suitable campground perhaps we will tour these roads in the Smart Car while in the area.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

post-17836-0-15167000-1467231636_thumb.jpg

Wise choice....The Bighorn Passes and Beartooth are brutal on large rigs.....

Sasha and Laura

SOLD: 1999 Ford F450 7.3 PSD CC 4x2, Roll-A-Long Hauler Bed, 15,000 GVWR, 26,000 GCVWR,

PacBrake PBRX, AIRSAFE 25K Air hitch & KSH 80 Gal Aux Tank/Tool Box Combo

2006 FR Sandpiper Sport F37 Toyhauler, 16K GVWR, 7K axles, 17.5" Wheels, 600W Solar

Archived