Getting New Seats

sdixon747

I'm getting ready to order new seats for my Gen I Volvo 660. I think that over the last few weeks I have been to every truck dealer / parts supplier between NE Tennessee and Dayton OH. None have Bostrom Wide Ride seats in stock to sit in to try out for comfort. Almost all have "Seats Inc" which from what I have read on some of the Truckers Forums, are probably the worst seats out there. Some dealers had National, but that is what I have now and I'm not real happy with them. Bostrom, Sears, and Knoedler are among the best based on what truckers are saying on the forums.

Anyway, I just wanted to get some opinions on what do you have, and how do you like it? If you were to get new seats, what would you get?

Thanks

Steve

Steve & Gail

2000 Volvo VNL660 Autoshift Detroit 60 12.7 "Semi Crazy"

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

2018 Space Craft 48' TT "The Nut House"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Volvo w SpaceCraft 1024.jpg

The Argosy came with the "narrow" Bostroms, due to the cabover configuration. I put up with them for 11 years. Earlier trucks had Bostroms, so when I switched to National wide base in 2011 it was an improvement. I never use all the air bladders/massage etc.

The way I determined which seat to go with was to go to the Louisville truck show and spent almost a whole day playing with 11 different manufacturers. It is the only place where the seats are displayed properly and can really allow you to make an informed decision.

You could do the same thing at the Great American Truck Show in Dallas in August.

It is a very personal choice. Of course you could pop for the Bose Ride which is an option on current Volvo's. I thought they were way too much money and technology for the application. I almost went with Knoedler, and I might do so next time.

I have rarely seen any truck dealer properly display seats, mounted with air, and they treat them as an annoying sideline. And they will feature 1 brand when you really need to compare side by side.

good luck.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Hi. I have a damaged spine in 2 areas. Generally, most car and truck seats are very uncomfortable for me and generally cause pain.

When I bought my Freightliner, it had the stock seats in it...so, I replaced them with a set of Commodore. Lots of adjustments and backcycler is just awesome. Last summer, did a run of 10 hours one day..and 11 the next and I was w/o pain..which is saying something.

BackCycler
BackCycler

http://www.nationalseating.com/en-us/product/seat/commodore-truck-seat

As mentioned, seats are very personal and none of the truck supply companies stock chairs so i took a chance..American made too..

Good luck in your hunt..

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

. Beagle co-pilots - Faffy and Lulu

I've had Bostrom Wide Ride for over 10 years. Love it. I need a good firm lumbar and they have it. I also like that the back/head comes up high enough. I'm not that tall, but lots of seats I sat in my head would hang over the top. Not the Bostrom. Only complaints, one of the air switches sometimes leaks a tiny bit, and the angle adjustment knob on the arm rests isn't the easiest to adjust. You have to stick your finger up underneath and turn a wheel on the shaft. I'm real good at it but it's hard to teach passengers how to do it. Still my favorite seat though. I have the cloth because I don't really like leather. I bought mine new at a Kenworth dealer. Last year my son found an identical one on Craigslist for $50. Not very used either. I put that one on the passenger side.

'03 United Specialties truck conversion, Freightliner FL112, Cat C12, 10 sp Autoshift, 295" w/b, 26' living quarters.

St. Paul, MN

www.bobwinsor.com

As stated, all about YOUR bony or padded butt and back. It'll be different for your wife as well. For me...Knoedler Grand chief or Recaro, but that has nothing to do with your choice.

Edited by Stekay

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

I'd just get a pilot's and co-pilot's seat from that 747 you fly!! :rolleyes:

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I have the Bostrom wide ride with Serta memory foam and love it ! I suffer from back problems from old injuries and after a 9 hour drive, felt great with no pain ! My is setup with heat and cooling and some sort of back relax thing (really can't tell if that does anything for me).

We have the Sears Elite 80. Leather with std adjustments. They are very nice. Had for 6 yrs now. Got them at a good price in ATL Kenwirth. Also ordered the adapter plates at same time. Were $600 ea seat and $45 ea adapter. Installed in the parking lot. Sold the old nationals on Craig's list and he picked them up when I was there.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

• 2 weeks later...

So Steve, what's the verdict?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

So Steve, what's the verdict?

I ordered Bostrom Wide Ride + Serta. With the color and options I ordered, it's not a stock item so it's going to take about three weeks to get them.

Steve & Gail

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

I ordered Bostrom Wide Ride + Serta. With the color and options I ordered, it's not a stock item so it's going to take about three weeks to get them.

Congrats, look nice.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

I assume you got arm rests....but did you get the heat? I LOVE heated seats. Really helps my back....even in the summer....that is one of the things I like the best about the smart....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Got the arm rests, but not the heat. Ordered them in blue and gray ultraleather. I also ordered an extra seven yards of the gray ultraleather to have cushions custom made for a work station to replace the lower bunk. Should all be done in time for the National HDT Rally in October.

Steve & Gail

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Steve you are going to really like those seats. Did you get the back cycler option as well? We really like ours.

Looking forward to the new seats. Didn't get the back cycler, but kind of wish I did. Do you know if it can be added later?

Steve & Gail

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Steve, under options, look at "Gail" for the top of the line back massager ;)

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

I'm not sure if the back cycler can be added after thought. If I didn't have them now I would know they were good or I was missing anything :) drove a lot of miles in the old seats with no issues at the time. Some times not knowing and not having is not a bad place to be.

Hi Everyone,

I have a question about the bolt pattern of after market seats. Is the bolt pattern set to only one size ? How does the after market seats fit so many different trucks ? Or do you have to drill different bolt holes in your truck to fit the seats ? Or is there an adaptor that someone can use ? I know these questions could seem silly. I want to use the seat from my gen 1 Volvo to fit in my gen 2 but the bolt patterns are different. Right now it is throwing me a curve ball. Anyone have any ideas ? The seats that I want to move are Sears Elite to a gen 2 truck.

As always, Thank for any help,

Al

Edited by alan0043

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

• 3 years later...

Hi all, and thanks to Steve, I am thinking about new seats and some other new hardware for our gen 2 VNL.  I hope to revive this discussion for a short time.

The only place near us with seats on display is the Kenly 95 truck stop.  They have some but no Knoedler.  

Is there a place to order seats from that commonly has the best prices?  Is it possible to find a sale at certain times of the year?  Should I just plan to be at the next truck show wherever it is and buy from a salesperson?

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg