Scion iQ?

bmzero

I'm considering purchasing a Scion iQ. With two kids and a wife, the Smart isn't going to work for family trips. It was only a couple of days ago that I realized the iQ's had a back seat. Granted, it isn't much of a seat, but my kids are just barely kids (7 and 9), so they fit just fine. I have been scouring CraigsList for the past few days looking for iQ's and there weren't any for sale within 2 hours of me. Ironically, as I'm driving to lunch today, I pass a used car dealership with one sitting on the lot. I like to take things like that as a sign, especially when that sign revolves around a vehicle of some sort.

Apparently, the iQ had been dropped off there yesterday evening by a wholesaler, so it was fresh on the lot. The owner of the lot knew nothing about it, but nonetheless, he was thrilled at the prospect of someone actually buying it. I was in my Smart car, so I told him I needed to get into a "bigger", "family" car. I briefly tried to explain what I used the Smart car for. After his eyes glazed over a little, I decided that may be a conversation for another day.

I drove the iQ home to the family and they loved it. We can all four get in it very comfortably. I wouldn't want to drive across the country, but out to dinner or the grocery store will be no problem.

At 120" long, I doubt I would ever put it on the back of the truck, but transporting it in the garage of the toy hauler and moving the RZR to the back of the truck is a good option and would work very well.

I also like that the customization parts are a lot cheaper for the iQ than they are for the Smart.

This iQ rides significantly better than my Smart Brabus. The wheels/tires on the iQ versus the Smart probably have a lot do do with that, though. That being said, this thing will cruise on the freeway at 80 with no issues, as where 80 in the Smart seems a little sketchy. Overall, the iQ seems to be very well built and substantially more refined than the Smart. It does use a CVT transmission, which is odd, but considerably less odd than the AMT in the Smart.

I didn't buy it or even make him an offer yet, but I did want to see if anyone here has had any experience with them in this type of usage.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When my kids were about the age of your we bought a Pathfinder. It wasn't 6 months and they were complaining about the lack of leg room. They will grow and the new will wear off of the vehicle.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

When my kids were about the age of your we bought a Pathfinder. It wasn't 6 months and they were complaining about the lack of leg room. They will grow and the new will wear off of the vehicle.

I completely agree with that, but with what we have now, there's no way for all four of us to go anywhere except in the Volvo. My wife won't even start to drive the Volvo. We're planning a month long West Coast trip for the summer. If we do that, I'll have to work quite a bit from the trailer (CTO/Ecommerce project planning/reporting) during the day. With our current setup, the family would be stranded without me driving them somewhere. With the iQ, at least my wife could get out onto the road with them.

I know the obvious solution is to get my wife to drive the truck. I pick my battles. The battle I chose to fight was to get the truck in the first place. I'm not pushing my luck.

I completely agree with that, but with what we have now, there's no way for all four of us to go anywhere except in the Volvo. My wife won't even start to drive the Volvo. We're planning a month long West Coast trip for the summer. If we do that, I'll have to work quite a bit from the trailer (CTO/Ecommerce project planning/reporting) during the day. With our current setup, the family would be stranded without me driving them somewhere. With the iQ, at least my wife could get out onto the road with them.

I know the obvious solution is to get my wife to drive the truck. I pick my battles. The battle I chose to fight was to get the truck in the first place. I'm not pushing my luck.

Zero .........you might get rid of the Smart car but you still have plenty of moxey.....IF the wife does NOT want to drive the truck.....a wise man says "so-be-it.....no problem sweets......

Some days I don't feel like driving the truck .....so being retired I likely take the day off ........

I used to have days when I hated to crawl into a airplane but it was a job so I cleared the bad thoughts and got on with the job.......it seems that RVing is a lot of work at times but I try to not let it become a job...... and getting in a 'battle" with the wife is way more than a job.....,

If she likes the new car......it will likely improve your life and that is a win / win.......,,,

Drive on..........(Let the wife have the wheels that work for her.....)

PS it's getting a bit warm at 102f here on the edge of Death Valley today and forecast to crawl up to 109f in a couple of days so the Dollytrolley will likely make a night run up to cooler elevations soon.......get back to the 90's......

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

The previous owner of my truck hauled an IQ (i think) at an angle on the bed:

image11.jpg?raw=1

He might still have the ramp kit. I can put you in touch if you're interested.

I can put up some more pix if that helps,too.

2007 Volvo 780 Volvo D12D, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

I took a close look at the IQ because it is 10 feet long and easily fits in my Work and Play toyhauler. They are available as the 2012-14 models, and were not good sellers. 2 different markets, either as rentals or Daddy buying the daughter a cute set of wheels that she soon got tired of. They are not hard to find in major metropolitan areas, but forget about them in smaller markets. And they are cheap, the poorest resale value of any Scion, which is good as long as you don't want/need to sell it.

Consumer Reports and all the major car magazines drubbed them badly, but if you have driven one and been happy, ignore them.

Another car that would fit in my toyhauler( 13'6" long garage) is the Chevy Spark. Also cheap and available. Consider that...

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Our 87 Samurai is not the best freeway rig but the "little-jap-jeep" is a pretty tough animal and cheep to operate........

We drove it from Death Valley to Vegas a week or so ago and it was a trip but a bit out of its element until we hit a some of the famous Vegas road construction and then we just ate up the drop offs and pot holes......

The Sammy is not a Razor but it is pretty tough and you can get tons of custom parts to make them into whatever you desire......

The stock 63 HP keeps you rowing the gears in the hills but heck the Sammy and the Freight shaker both have 10 gears so I consider the Sammy just a simulator trainer for the Freightshaker.........

Folks grin when we roll up the rear cargo door on the Dollytrolley and the Sammy backs out and we still have 10 feet of cargo in the front of the box ahead of the Sammy.

Wife likes to drive the Sammy but sometimes wish it had power steering but she likes to be able to 4 x 4 and still be legal on all of the roads.....

Sorta old school but it's a ton of fun (well 2,200 pounds full up with removable hard top on).....

Drive on........(Who shrunk my Jeep.....)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

How big is the garage in the toy hauler? Another vehicle to consider for 4 is the Fiat 500--longer (140"), but a fair bit more room in back plus some trunk space.

I don't think the iQ's mechanicals are shared with any other domestic models, and I'm not sure that Toyota has much practice with CVTs--not saying it would be difficult to service or unreliable, just that there may not be much of a track record. The Fiat on the other hand shares its engine with the Dodge Dart, Jeep Renegade, etc., and the Abarth is definitely a fun car to toss around.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

The previous owner of my truck hauled an IQ (i think) at an angle on the bed

Thanks, Jeff. I was wondering how far up it would have to be tilted up to fit on the bed. That's a lot more than I was hoping.

After driving the iQ for about an hour yesterday, I got back in the Smart for the drive home from them office. I greatly prefer driving the Smart. They have an entirely different feel. The Smart is quite a bit "sportier". This is no doubt accentuated by my car being a Brabus, but nonetheless, the iQ is a smoother/softer ride. For some, I can see that being very appealing. For me, I prefer the sporty feel of the Smart.

On the flip side, the wife and kids really like the iQ better than the Smart. I suspect we'll end up with one...

David, my garage is 12' long. The only reason I'm considering changing to the iQ is because it's technically possible to transport it on the back of the truck. Granted, it wouldn't be easy, but possible. None of the other vehicles would be possible without completely changing up my truck and moving the hitch rearward.

After driving the iQ for about an hour yesterday, I got back in the Smart for the drive home from them office. I greatly prefer driving the Smart. They have an entirely different feel. The Smart is quite a bit "sportier". This is no doubt accentuated by my car being a Brabus, but nonetheless, the iQ is a smoother/softer ride. For some, I can see that being very appealing. For me, I prefer the sporty feel of the Smart.

Toyota has been very good at engineering the fun out of cars for a long time--they'd be great at making household appliances that just work.

David, my garage is 12' long. The only reason I'm considering changing to the iQ is because it's technically possible to transport it on the back of the truck. Granted, it wouldn't be easy, but possible. None of the other vehicles would be possible without completely changing up my truck and moving the hitch rearward.

Don't forget that the car has some height to it--it'll be more like 37 degrees to get the top of the hood inside that envelope. At least with a CVT, you can probably drive it up more smoothly than the smart.

Screenshot-from-2016-06-03-11-48-52.png

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Don't forget that the car has some height to it--it'll be more like 37 degrees to get the top of the hood inside that envelope. At least with a CVT, you can probably drive it up more smoothly than the smart.

Yes, I'm well aware of what it will take to do that. That's why I'm not convinced it's even something I would try. Most of the time, I will be carrying a UTV that will fit on the back of the truck, either a Polaris General or a RZR 1000 S. It's when I need to take the RZR XP turbo vehicles somewhere that we have a problem, as they won't fit on the back of the truck. They're way too long. In that case, depending on the trip, I may be able to just throw the iQ on the back of the truck and cross my fingers that I don't get into trouble.

The iQ is only 2 inches longer than the General, which traveled well to Moab and back. The difference is, the General is only long at the bed, as where the iQ is long from top to bottom, making it noticeably too big for the back of the truck. Again, the preferred arrangement would be to put the iQ in the toy hauler and the UTV on the truck, but at least there would be an option with iQ, albeit a risky option.

da9a48a8-2100-4f11-8d42-9f5b92bd0c95-s.j

Another thought in that scenario would be to have the car and trailer set up to double tow. At the very least, it would be quicker to set up, and easy to separate roadside if you were ever hassled.

Then I'd expect nothing less than a General on the truck, XP turbo in the trailer, car in tow.

Another thought in that scenario would be to have the car and trailer set up to double tow. At the very least, it would be quicker to set up, and easy to separate roadside if you were ever hassled.

Then I'd expect nothing less than a General on the truck, XP turbo in the trailer, car in tow.

Road Train!!! I like where your head is!

Can you tow 4 down with a CVT transmission?

I would build a custom-fit trailer for it. I'm not a fan of flat towing.

I have no idea as to the answer to your question, though. I seriously doubt it.

Can you tow 4 down with a CVT transmission?

I'm not aware of any that are. I was suggesting possibly towing something else, with baseplates already in existence, but a trailer would work too.

With your skills you could build the deck to extend out for the extra length of the car and then using hydraulic rams to have the rear lift to the correct angle. That way you could load flat. Think like. Commercial car hauler sideways on your bed.

With your skills you could build the deck to extend out for the extra length of the car and then using hydraulic rams to have the rear lift to the correct angle. That way you could load flat. Think like. Commercial car hauler sideways on your bed.

That would definitely work. However, I'm trying my best to keep this bed/truck simple. That's why I decided to go with ramps instead of hydraulics and/or a winch for loading.

Apparently I'm driving to North Alabama tomorrow to buy an iQ. That escalated quickly.

I'd say so!

I tried to talk the wife and kids out of it, but having that vehicle there with us gives them some freedom to not rely on my to drive them places. I can't blame them. Plus, it will allow us to spend more time out on the road as I will be able to stay working more in the trailer, knowing they can go wherever they need to go. So, it's sort of like a win-win, except that now I'll have a Smart car sitting here, not being used, that I really like driving. I won't be able to justify both of them here, so the Smart will probably go onto the chopping block, unfortunately.

On the occasions that you have to take the Razor XP turbo, the DW may just have to drive the car separately.

Too bad for child safety laws, I would have suggested mounting some seats on your platform you built for the smart and let the kids ride there. Put a big screen TV in the back window and let the play video games or watch DVD's. LOL!

Too bad we are still a few years out from needing a smart otherwise we might consider yours if it was still available after we get done with our move south later this year.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

I wasn't able to get up there to buy the car yesterday. So, I get to hang onto the Smart for at least one more trip. We're headed to Grayton Beach in a couple of hours.

The more I think about it, the more I like the hydraulic platform Tom mentioned. I don't like traveling with the vehicle positioned illegally on the truck. Too many things can go wrong with that. I think I could build the platform to where it bolt onto my existing bed design, no changes required and be pretty inconspicuous when the vehicle is not loaded.

Just what I needed; another project. :D

Archived