Durn! I slipped up and got a computer illness

Ray,IN

I attempted to download an owners manual for my band saw. I clicked the obligitory accept box to begin the download, instantly a 2nd check box appeared before I got my finger off the mouse button. It resulted in downloading a Trojan called Binkiland. Now I have innumerous adds popping up all over the screen, certain words(anything to do with advertising a product) highlighted in Green, and double-underlined. Malwarebytes will not remove anything, Spybot Search and Destroy will remove some parts. I downloaded IObit malware remover and it removes some. From researching online, it seems the removal process involves going onto the regestry and removing every instances of "120.0.0,1. I'm not confident enough to open my regestry, so tomorrow I'm off to the repair shop.

This is totally my doing because I failed to read closely and act slowly, so I'm paying the price.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Before you spend the big bucks download and run Norton eraser. But download it from a clean computer and run it from a flash drive you copied it to. You need to be connected to the Internet when you run it, it updates itself, then asks you to approve a restart so it can scan for toolkits before Windows boots, then it will scan the drive/s. Free, and works for me to run then Malwarebytes then eraser one last time.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20100824120155EN_EndUserProfile_en_us is the correct download website.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I got a real nasty virus several years ago, not once, but twice, and each time I went to the Spybot forum and selected Malware Removal and that put me in touch with some very knowledgeable computer techs that helped me get rid of my virus. Be sure to click on BEFORE You POST and read and follow those procedures before requesting their help.

http://forums.spybot.info/

One thing you can also try, which is successful in many cases, is to run a System Restore. If you restore to a point several days before you got the infection. After running the restore you need to immediately turn System Restore OFF. This will delete all files that may have the Trojan in the backup files. Then run a complete antivirus scan (not a quick scan). After that, assuming things come up clean, you can turn System Restore back on.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

One thing you can also try, which is successful in many cases, is to run a System Restore. If you restore to a point several days before you got the infection. After running the restore you need to immediately turn System Restore OFF. This will delete all files that may have the Trojan in the backup files. Then run a complete antivirus scan (not a quick scan). After that, assuming things come up clean, you can turn System Restore back on.

X2 on system restore. It's fast, painless and almost always clears up problems like this.

Ray,

How'd it go?

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I apologize to everyone. I thought I would receive an email when someone posted a reply, but that didn't happen, even though I made that selection in my settings. I fumbling along on my laptop now.

I tried Malwarebytes, Spybot S&D, Windows Defender, and a couple others I can't now remember. Then I downloaded IObit-30 day free trial, which quarintined a great deal of stuff. That worked the best but still not the holy grail of malware,adware, spyware removal. I pick up my computer tomorrow from Jim Gordon LLC computer sales and service. I talked to the technician this afternoon and he said this malware-Binkiland, is a nasty virus that invades the registry and must be manually removed from each line it has invaded. Something about removing the entry 127.0.0.1 from a line. I don't dare mess with the registry with my very limited knowledge of computers.
I still can't beleive I allowed myself to download a virus, but after running an internet search for the same owners manual I found the website again and it had clues in the search results I'd overlooked the first time that the site was suspect.

I will bookmark this thread so I may keep all your solutions-just in case i have a brain lapse again. I sure wish I'd remembered to return here on my own instead of relying on the email notification. Thanks guys!

BTW, the technician said Malwarebytes is one of the best malware removal programs he knows about.

Update: I just read up on Norton Power Eraser and it sounds like it is quite similar to ComboFix from Safer Networking. I downloaded Norton Eraser and ran in on my laptop just now, the results said nothing found so I guess my laptop hasn't picked up anything from it's association with my infected desktop through my wireless network or my Microsoft Cloud.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I don't know if you are running the free or subscription version of Malwarebytes, but the paid version has real-time blocking of dangerous sites which has saved me a couple of times. Between it and Kaspersky Internet Security I feel I have pretty good, albeit not perfect, protection from such places.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Ray,

Norton eraser and Malwarebytes are all I used on a recent similar infection I cleaned for a car dealership I still help out in a pinch. Sorry you did not give it a go.

I agree with Joel.

Malwarebytes Pro is the only backup real time monitoring, self updating, antimalware program that can be run with another one. You should never run two real time antimalware programs at the same time, or even have both installed on the same computer - except any paid or free one with Malwarebytes Pro.

I use only Windows Defender on my Windows 8.1 computers, and Microsoft Security Essentials on my two Windows 7 computers. And on all six of them, tablets and desktops, I have the lifetime licenses to Malwarebytes Pro on each. I got my Malwarebytes Pro subscriptions before they went with annual renewals.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Outcome; My computer is back online, all nasty stuff is gone according to the computer guy. He had a problem with the browser hijacker, decided not to do a restore to get rid of it using this freeware:

Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) by Thisisu

Version: 6.5.0 (03.31.2015:2)

he left a log of that file on my computer in OpenOffice.

The dust is settled now, life is good again. If/when there is a next time I'll follow you guys recommendations and save that $95, thanks again everyone!

Archived