Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta

hbjoe3

How close to the Balloon park do you want stay and for many you should look for reservations early. There is a KOA campground a resonable drive north of there in the town of Bernalillo. Also in Bernalillo is Coronado Campground which is city run campground. Also in that area is one I think called Stagecoach campground which is privately owned. All of these offer two easy routes to the balloon field. There are a number of others in the Albq. area. another KOA is off I40 on the east side of town. Not quite as covienent. We can go on it you want more. BTW, Coranado Campground can be found on the City of Bernalillo websie as the last I knew they did not have direct email to the campground. I believe you have to call once you get the number. The last I knew the campground manager was a guy named Robert Stevens and they use some workampers who may or may not be paid. The town of Bernalillo is in Sandoval county but Albuquerque is located in the county of Bernalillo. Bernalillo--burn a leo. Did you know Albq. is the home of Vivian Vance-aka Ethel Mertz on I Love Lucy.

I looked it up and Coranado CG is 505-980-8256 and Robt. is not the manager now. You can access more detailed info on the City website.

This is on my bucket list. It's in October, isn't it? We hope to hit the road FT this April. I bet I have to make reservations now huh? (I'm so new to all this) sorry.

It's all fine and dandy until someone's marshmallow catches fire!

2015 Ford F-250 6.2L (She ain't diesel but she hauls ass!)

2012 Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS

Http://www.5thwheelgypsy.blogspot.com

It is normally starts around the 8th of Oct and runs through 2 weekends. There are a lot of places that won't be filled up if you don't mind what I consider a reasonable drive but for certain ones you will need an early reservation. There is one not on the grounds but very near that may even be booked now. I think it is called Balloon View but I am not sure of the name. I believe you access it off of Edith. They usually run shuttles into the park from a couple of locations which can be useful if you don't know the area. It is great but there can be issues with the weather or the wind so I think it is best to try to stay for the time period of the whole festival. If you have never been to the area there are things to see and do in a reasonable drive of in town. Of course a lot of it is related to history and Indians.

Thank you. I'll start checking it out now. We can stay for a month if we want. I'd love to check out the area.

Thanks for the info. I'm so excited!

It's all fine and dandy until someone's marshmallow catches fire!

2015 Ford F-250 6.2L (She ain't diesel but she hauls ass!)

2012 Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS

Http://www.5thwheelgypsy.blogspot.com

Here's the web site with camping information. Last year we went with the Escapee Boomer group and stayed the whole Fiesta time. We got to help crewing and also got an awesome ride because of it.

We stayed just south of the takeoff field in a dry camping area. A free shuttle tours the area constantly to take you for a 10-minute ride to the field. We also had a empty field in front of our RV where we experienced landings right in front of us. It's a fantasic Fiesta!

I would highly recommend you stay at the Fiesta itself. The traffic from all points is horrendous during the Fiesta.

http://www.balloonfiesta.com/guest-guide/rv-information

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

We volunteered at the Fiesta in 2013 and it was a great experience. You might consider staying on the Fiesta grounds although it is not cheap, but the traffic is really bad and it is convenient to be able to go back to the RV for a rest. There is a bus shuttle that runs into the park on some days if you do stay elsewhere. Be careful if you bring a bicycle due to the goat head thorns that will ruin your tires, BTDT. You can get a lot of info from the Fiesta web site.

Greg

Thanks everyone for the info. I rather be in a nicer CG then a close expensive CG. Good point about the weather, last time we went we had a perfect day so I never thought about weather being a problem.

The Fiesta starts on the 3rd this year.

2014 Forest River Legacy

Weather can be an issue. They will usually still inflate and there is other stuff goin on. As far as the balloons the wind will be the biggest issue usually. If they are able to inflate even if they can't lift off it is still pretty amazing when you are among them on the ground. The dawn patrol lifts off pretty early to kind a access what it will like for the main lift off. This last year they added a stage with entertainment to try and get folks to stay at the field longer. I think some of them were name entertainers

There are always some people that think it is a good idea to drive up to the Crest area for a good view. Not from up there the ballons will appear to be the size of a small timble. Definatly go up there for some great views but it isn't that good to oberve the balloons so go up after you leave the ballon park.

• 1 month later...

I stay at the AFB famcamp. If you are retired military, DOD, it's a great place to stay. They run shuttle bus' to/from the launch grounds; eliminates driving in that heavy traffic.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Another suggestion is the Corp of Eng campground at Cochiti Lake, about a 30-45 minute drive from Balloon Fest.

Really great sites, water and electric and a dump station. 2 week stay max and make your reservations very early.

$20 a night and 1/2 off with senior pass.

We will be park attendants there this season. Hope to see you.

2006 Elite Suite 36TK3
2001 F-550 Starhauler
www.mytripjournal.com/elitesuitestravels
IN GOD WE TRUST

Archived