Traveling with guns

mel1953

I live in Texas, have no concealed-carry permit and have a single 45 sidearm. I've never traveled with a gun, nor do I know anything about it.

Can I get some feedback on what's neccessary to travel with guns across state lines please? I have no clue.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With no concealed carry permit you need to look up the Federal laws for transporting a firearm across state lines. For the most states, this means in a locked container unloaded and ammunition has to be in a separate container, usually in the trunk as well. Every state has it's own laws but if you follow the federal laws you will be 99.9% within the law. If you want it for personal protection you best get a conceal permit but keepin mind it is not valid in all states.

Don Kostyal

CMSgt, ret USAF

A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Thanks Chalkie and Scion Gypsy. I'm reading the links now. Mexico is a no-no I see. If I'm traveling with a firearm in the U.S. and need to cross into Mexico, is there a way/place I can rent to store my gun ? I'll be crossing from San Diego headed to Ensenada.

Local gun dealers may well have a storage spot you can rent.

Be very careful going to Mexico, a single forgotten 22 short in the back of a drawer can cost you a fortune and a chunk of your life. This may not be current but it is a good starting place.

http://rollybrook.com/guns.htm

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

In Texas you can travel with a loaded concealed firearm in the vehicle without a CHL. When you leave Texas put it in a case. Why don't you get a CHL?

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Ronbo: I've never wanted to carry concealed is why I haven't gotten one yet. I'm not a big gun guy but my daily life will change if I ever get rigged up to start RV'ing. I'll be retiring this year and may want to do it full time but I don't know yet.

I've used a gun shop for storage when traveling through Canada on our way to Alaska. Maybe there's one in the San Diego area. It's a gray area as to being able to protect your home, when that home is on wheels.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

In my opinion you want no signs of guns or gun ownership if you are crossing borders. While it may be legal to have cleaning equipment, it is opening a Pandora's Box. Getting a TX CHL gives you options (this assumes you are a TX resident). But frankly, if you have seen no reason to carry up till now, what has changed? The RV lifestyle is "generally" safer than a "normal" lifestyle....or at least not less safe.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Begin by complying with the Federal regulations for transporting a firearm in your vehicle. That should protect you when you're in transit just passing through. Once you stop for an extended stay, the state laws take priority and those vary widely from state to state. In many of the western states no permit is required for vehicle carry; some allow open carry, some allow concealed carry in your vehicle, loaded or unloaded. That all assumes you're legally allowed to own a firearm. You need to educate yourself on the specific states you travel in. The above web sites are a good start, and I like to keep a printed copy of the current version of the "Travelers Guide to the Firearm Laws of the 50 States" https://www.gunlawguide.com/

Jim

. The above web sites are a good start, and I like to keep a printed copy of the current version of the "Travelers Guide to the Firearm Laws of the 50 States" https://www.gunlawguide.com/

Me too, and I also get the updated version regularly.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Jack has got a valid point. I have traveled in and out of Canada hundreds of times in 40 years of trucking. Passport/DL with a PA address was a yawn. 3 years ago I domiciled at Livingston. The customs guys at the booth make sure they cover the weapons questions with more vigor with my Texas address. I am sure an NRA sticker would elicit a more vigorous response. Call it profiling or whatever, it is their country, Look them right in the eye when you answer questions and you won't have any issues.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

When we go t o Canada we completely cleanse the Rv of anything that might have anything to do with a firearm we do not put a NRA sticker on the truck or RV.

I would suggest you look at the provided links and completely understand the various laws concerning firearms in the various States..

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

When we go t o Canada we completely cleanse the Rv of anything that might have anything to do with a firearm we do not put a NRA sticker on the truck or RV.

I would suggest you look at the provided links and completely understand the various laws concerning firearms in the various States..

Us too we clear the rig of anything related to firearms or shooting. Targets, clays, cleaning gear, owners manuals, even our large hearing protection goes before hitting the Canadian border.

Though I try and stay up to date on the topic it is a constantly moving target (pun intended). For this reason I maintain 2 related apps on my phone, CCW and Legal Heat. These apps update to the latest state laws almost every time I open them and also provide links to relevant state authorities, and the laws themselves making it easy to confirm the information presented. Highly recommend them both.

Later,

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

I live in Texas, have no concealed-carry permit and have a single 45 sidearm. I've never traveled with a gun, nor do I know anything about it.

Can I get some feedback on what's neccessary to travel with guns across state lines please? I have no clue.

I can only suggest that you get a license. It is not expensive, and if you are a veteran, it is downright cheap. Outside of Canada, Mexico and California, It is accepted in most other states, not all, but most. Carrying in your vehicle is sticky, even in Texas if you don't have a license. There is a sign at all non 51% establishments that sell beer/wine, not for consumption on the premises. It is usually covered up, but is there. It is a TABC sign that says:

"The unlicensed possession of a weapon on these premises is a felony with a maximum penalty of 10 years imprisonment and a fine not to exceed $10,000."

As explained to me, if you make a turn into a gas station to fuel up, don't signal and a LEO follows you in to cite you for the signal violation. Through their questioning and you letting them know you have a .45 in your vehicle but not a license to carry, you are arrested and charged with a felony. Think about it. The possibility is there and is real. The license eliminates that possibility. Just my opinion, but it has happened.

2008 Ford F350 PowerStroke DRW
2006 Raptor 3813
2007 Harley Davidson ElectraGlide Classic

2010 Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra Classic
Street/Strip Harley Sportster Racebike
SFC (ret) US Army

I can only suggest that you get a license. It is not expensive, and if you are a veteran, it is downright cheap. Outside of Canada, Mexico and California, It is accepted in most other states, not all, but most. Carrying in your vehicle is sticky, even in Texas if you don't have a license.

In all but 9 states, the fact that a driver's license holder has a concealed carry license is on the driver's license or is shown when an officer runs that license.

As explained to me, if you make a turn into a gas station to fuel up, don't signal and a LEO follows you in to cite you for the signal violation. Through their questioning and you letting them know you have a .45 in your vehicle but not a license to carry, you are arrested and charged with a felony. Think about it. The possibility is there and is real. The license eliminates that possibility. Just my opinion, but it has happened.

Would you mind sharing with us a source? I would like to learn a bit more about this case, if you would.

In all but 9 states, the fact that a driver's license holder has a concealed carry license is on the driver's license or is shown when an officer runs that license.

Would you mind sharing with us a source? I would like to learn a bit more about this case, if you would.

Here in Texas, the drivers license and handgun license are two separate items. If you are carrying, you have to show both if you are pulled over. It used to be a Class A misdemeanor if you didn't, but I think they relaxed it recently in a new round of laws. I carry all the time so I always show both. Both are together in my wallet. If you are not carrying, and the LEO runs your DL, he will see on the feedback that you have a license and will probably come back, a little cautious mind you, and ask if you have your handgun. If you are a good guy and not a smart-ass, he/she will probably let you slide with a warning. Not so much if you are a hardhead.

As far as the TABC sign, it was explained to me by a TABC official who is also a retired LEO.

post-28913-0-93436400-1458913522_thumb.jpg

2006 Raptor 3813

SFC (ret) US Army

Here in Texas, the drivers license and handgun license are two separate items.

I too am a Texas resident, am presently sitting in Texas about 6' from an NRA certified "Concealed Carry Instructor" who also has NRA certification as a "Home Defense" instructor. He is the source of what I posted. I didn't say anything about the two being the same but in fact stated the same thing which you just did. But that instructor has also indicated that nothing that he has read or been told says anything about violation of those laws by simply driving into the parking area of such establishment.

I also asked the instructor about the issue of a driving license that states that you have a concealed carry permit. He used the state of Utah as an example and they do put "concealed carry" on the driving license of residents who have one but the law still requires the holder to have the separate concealed carry license in their possession if they are carrying a firearm. He believes that to be true of all states, but says that he would have to research it to be certain. My question remains, please share with us more information about where this has happened, as I'd like to know more about the case. I'm not disputing that it did happen, only looking for more information about the incident. We are always at the discretion of an LEO when in contact with them no matter what the laws happen to state and we have to go to court to disprove what they choose to apply at the scene. That is the reason that I want to know more about this case.

I too am a Texas resident, am presently sitting in Texas about 6' from an NRA certified "Concealed Carry Instructor" who also has NRA certification as a "Home Defense" instructor. He is the source of what I posted. I didn't say anything about the two being the same but in fact stated the same thing which you just did. But that instructor has also indicated that nothing that he has read or been told says anything about violation of those laws by simply driving into the parking area of such establishment.

I also asked the instructor about the issue of a driving license that states that you have a concealed carry permit. He used the state of Utah as an example and they do put "concealed carry" on the driving license of residents who have one but the law still requires the holder to have the separate concealed carry license in their possession if they are carrying a firearm. He believes that to be true of all states, but says that he would have to research it to be certain. My question remains, please share with us more information about where this has happened, as I'd like to know more about the case. I'm not disputing that it did happen, only looking for more information about the incident. We are always at the discretion of an LEO when in contact with them no matter what the laws happen to state and we have to go to court to disprove what they choose to apply at the scene. That is the reason that I want to know more about this case.

I know you live in Texas. I stated the fact about the two licenses as a generalization for people who don't live in Texas, and not to dispute your knowledge about licenses. I don't know why Texas has that law about carrying in a non 51% establishment without a license, grocery store, gas station, but non the less it is there. I didn't have the TABC agent specify a case where someone was arrested, I just asked him about it since they are the proponent agency. Out of curiosity. It was his simplified answer. That being said, I don't think any self respecting LEO would do that to legitimate RVers, but you never know what you are going to run into. Riding Harleys since the late sixties, when riding a Harley was nearly illegal in the eyes of a lot of LEO's, I know laws can be abused by one bad cop out to make a name for himself. Those kind of officers make it bad for the tens of thousands of excellent LEO's. I posted this to make people aware of some of the unknown statutes out there.

2006 Raptor 3813

SFC (ret) US Army

Thanks Chalkie and Scion Gypsy. I'm reading the links now. Mexico is a no-no I see. If I'm traveling with a firearm in the U.S. and need to cross into Mexico, is there a way/place I can rent to store my gun ? I'll be crossing from San Diego headed to Ensenada.

Pawn it in a pawnshop and pick it up when you get back.

Louisiana is pending review passage of a new change to the State Constitution that would allow concealed carry by anyone, anywhere without a permit. Read the article here, in it is a link to the PDF of the short amendment. IT can be found here:

http://www.legis.la.gov/legis/ViewDocument.aspx?d=968132

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived