Now Hiring GasLine Survey Will Train

rearnold

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been following this issue since this past Aug when I heard about it from Jan Walker on antoher forum! I called Gene Booth in Aug and discussed it briefly and per his recommendation sent my application to him. However, I had some unresolved issues re availability date and I assume that wss why I did not hear from them. Those issues are being resolved and I can project an availability date approx 1 Mar

This thread (and the one on the other forum) is replete with unreturned calls and no repsonse to application and that concerns me.

My questions for Bob Arnold is what is the approximate (repeat approx) lead time they need to process the paperwork and make a hiring decision. Is there something I can do to help avoid that situtation?

I will be avail approx 1 Mar and would like to submit my paperwork in advance but if it is too far in advance you get no respons apparently.

Calvin R did you ever hear back from them!

Bob

Bob & BJ
On the road (part time) to ournextstop!
2019 Bounder 35P
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Oscar)

Bob Arnold

Thanx for the info. Time frame is what I am interested in and by then I will have confirmed my availabily date which should avoid the confusion of my previous submission. Do I really need to call or just submit the app to his attn:? My questions have been pretty much answered by now! Thanx again for your reply. It was helpful.

Bob

Bob & BJ
2019 Bounder 35P

Bob, I just got an email from Sherm about a new job in the works for Santa Rosa Ca. Do you know anything about this one? I replied back to him for more info, but it's after 6pm his time. The job sounds too good to be true,so I wonder what kind of survey it is.

Thanks to you and this thread, I've had 2 assignments, and was taking the winter off, but this may change my mind.

Thanks,Mark Pelow

Mark Pelow

98 Z610, D12A, super 10

08 Weekend Warrior

94 Tracker in it's belly

mirada,

sounds like you are happy with the arrangement. I am glad to hear that. Have not really heard anything negative about this opportunity other then pre-employment contact delays. I intend to pursue it starting in mid-Jan. Will be interested in Bob A's response to you.

Bob & BJ
2019 Bounder 35P

Hi Bobsea, I have had a great experience with SCC, and highly recomend them for anyone that likes walking and meeting interesting people. I sent in my application, then waited a couple weeks, then called Cullen. He got things started and in less than 2 weeks, I was training, in Mobile.

I hope things go well with you, also. You'll be happy with them.

Where, in Fl, are you? I'm from central east coast, Merritt Island.

Mark

Mark Pelow

98 Z610, D12A, super 10

08 Weekend Warrior

94 Tracker in it's belly

We are in Melbourne. I am retireed and waiting for DW to retire from school teaching in a few more years. in the meantime I keep my self busy with odd jobs and helping friends & family, etc. Will finish a short teaching contract at Cocoa Bech Jr/Sr High in Jan, head to Key West Navy Base for a month then would like to get started with SCC. I walk 3 miles every AM and it would be nice to get paid for it! Plus I like the flexibilbity of SCC as DW and I hit the road when school is out!! We hope to get out west one summer soon.

Happy Travels

Bob & BJ
2019 Bounder 35P

Not a problem. You look sorta professional, with a safety vest, badge, and a strange looking instrument. Some come out to question you, but just explaining that you are doing a SAFETY inspection, It calms most people. Then some interesting conversions start. I've meet some really cool folks. For yards with fences or dogs, you make the decision if you go in or not. Most times I will knock on the door and explain, or make noise to judge the dogs reaction, and maybe just walk on by, and make a note for the gas company to follow up.

Give it a try, you might like it. If not, you just quit. No obligations.

Mark

Mark Pelow

98 Z610, D12A, super 10

08 Weekend Warrior

94 Tracker in it's belly

• 2 weeks later...

I have been looing at their website again and reread this long thread and it appears they do no work in FL! Not a big deal as one thing that interestes me is the travel for several months at a time, but there are a few times when it might be nice to be there, e.g. life events of grandkids. Just curious do any of you SCC folks know of any FL connections with them?

Bob & BJ
2019 Bounder 35P

• 2 weeks later...

I've been following this thread off and on for a year or so. One of the types of work mentioned is transmission lines. What, exactly, is that? I know Bob Arnold says he doesn't do that. Is it sort of like windows? icon_smile.gif Or is it the bigger, long distance gas lines, as opposed to residential/ business service connections?

We've been retired for five years now, but needed recently to stay sort of close to DWs folks. Things are looking a bit more flexible, so we're thinking about options that would get us traveling again.

TIA,

Larry & Alicia SKP 72871

2003 Discovery 38T 2003 Acura MDX

Free in '03

A transmission line is a high pressure line that feeds from the storage facility to the lower pressure lines that are for the different distribution lines. They range as little as a mile to 45+ miles. These lines are every where. From my understanding SCC is no longer using new employees for (team) transmission work. They say they are full. This is where the wife or significant other would help. They are still looking for distribution line surveyors though.

If you would like to know about other companies that also do this kind of work and possibly better benefits pm me and I will try to help.

Gary and Sheryl Briggs

3 Cairn Terriers

2007 Mobile Suite SB3

F450 Lariat Turbo Diesel 4X4

OK, 'nother question: How do they handle income taxes? Are taxes withheld for the state where the work is done, GA or your state of residence? I could make a case for any of the three, but my fertile mind is not the tax code or the standard procedure. Being a paper Texan, I prefer that. But some states are pretty aggressive and would try to tax all of you income (including retirement) for the period you were working in their boundaries.

Larry & Alicia SKP 72871

2003 Discovery 38T 2003 Acura MDX

Free in '03

Transmittion lines can be miles long or short sections. You need someone to pick you up a certain spots on the line. usally it your spouse, for which they are paid as a helper. This work out in a good way as long as you can count on them staying for the whole job. Thats one reason I don't work trans line. DW has to go home to take care of her mother.

Taxes are baased on legal home resident. MY legal resident is Livingston, Tx.

Bob

Just to remind anyone who may be trying to hire on with SCC...

If you REALLY want to work for them, you MUST continue to call either Cullen Broom or Sherman Carlton at the home office, until you get a response from one of them. Don't just call once or send an email and wait for a response.

Keep calling until one of them gives you an answer.

jwalker

Homebase is the Hills of East Tennessee

Currently, on the road again...

Visit Our Geocaching Blog

• 1 month later...

I have been looking at Southern Cross, reviewing their website, and reading opinions folks have about the company, etc., for over a year.

In December, I decided it would be interesting for a variety of reasons. I submitted an application of interest. I didn't hear anything, and assumed they were not interested.

However, today, I recieved a call from Mr. Cullin Broome regarding the application I sent.

After being retired for almost 9 years, I am seriously considering going to work for Southern Cross, assuming the interest is mutual. Interview, training location, assignments, etc.

The only issue I have any concern about at this stage, is state income tax issues when working in an income tax state. I receive a comfortable annuity, and concerned whether it makes sense to work in an income tax state. I am currently a Florida resident (no state income tax).

Can anyone recommend a tax preparer that can provide sound advice; And/Or, does anyone else fit into this type of situation?

SCC pays through a company called Oasis. They are a multi state company. In other words, if your home state is Florida, you are paid in Fl. I worked in Va last year, and was paid, and not taxed, in Fl.

Mark Pelow

98 Z610, D12A, super 10

08 Weekend Warrior

94 Tracker in it's belly

Thanks for putting my name as a referral. I live in TX ans as the above post said, They only collect taxes for the state that is ypur home state. You will only pay taxes on your base pay, bonus,and acouple of other things that you may get or not in your pay. They do not taxs travel or milages, vehicle use pay or the weekly travel allowance. in 2007 I paid taxes on 15,520, but I drew over 32,000 in pay and allowances. This year I can only make 13500 in taxable incomem since I will draw SS this year. I'll just let the companyknow when I'm close to those number and call it a season.

I would still check with a tax company, just for your on peace of mind.

Bob

Thanks for the response.

I understand that the base pay is taxable along with my annuity by the IRS.

What I am looking into is - If I work in an income tax state, Utah, Arizona, NM, etc, - Will I have to file an individual tax form for that state and pay a state income tax?

OR, if I understand what is being said, Florida as my home of record, legal residence, then no state income tax will be withheld.,,,by SC. Then there is no tax liability for any state where a temporary assignment is completed.

Let's say you work an assignment in Utah for 2 months, and make $5,000, Do you have to pay a Utah income tax on that amount? and, would part of an annuity have to be paid to that state?

Maybe I am making this more complicated than it really is. Just trying to understand what my tax liability would be if accepting an assignment in a state that taxes income.

"Mirada" if I understand what you are saying, then as far as Oasis is concerned, I'm working in Florida, if that is my state of record.

Thanks for your input.

Bob, I did send you a short PM. Thanks for all the information you have provided through this forum. It is what initially got me interested in SCC. Like you, I have 30+ years military and Federal Service Law Enforcement. After 9 years of playing around, I'm ready to go do something. I don't need any new toys right now, but maybe next year.

Thanks again for the time you have taken over that past couple years on this thread to answer questions for everyone.