Running with wheels removed on axle

Seniramsu

So heading down to Florida in a few weeks to get the truck singled and have a hitch installed.

I would like to go ahead and remove one set of the wheels off the axle that will be removed as I can sell them off to help offset the cost of the singling. Instead of having to pack them with me on the way home.

Is there any issue with running down the highway like this? See it no different as if It was singled, just might look a little funny.

Is there anything to be made by reselling the dropped axle?

Brad

2013 Volvo 780

2013 Volvo 780 "Grunt" D13 I-Shift w/ ET Hitch

2016 Cyclone 4200

Why not leave them on until you get there, then sell them? I would think they'd bring about the same price, and save you the trouble.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

So heading down to Florida in a few weeks to get the truck singled and have a hitch installed.

I would like to go ahead and remove one set of the wheels off the axle that will be removed as I can sell them off to help offset the cost of the singling. Instead of having to pack them with me on the way home.

Is there any issue with running down the highway like this? See it no different as if It was singled, just might look a little funny.

Is there anything to be made by reselling the dropped axle?

Brad

2013 Volvo 780

I would guess the ABS and traction control systems would fault since you won't have wheel speed data coming from those wheels.

2007 Volvo 780 Volvo D12D, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

The suspension will NOT be happy. If it's air ride, the "naked" axle will hang all the way down (as far as the air bags will allow) and the bags will be under the same pressure as the laden axle. If it's spring suspension, the inter-axle swivel piece will spend most of its time swiveled all the way to one end of its range, which will put the naked axle low as well. To chain up the axle, your chain will be under the same load as the laden axle (about 8k), so you'd better have a strong chain and some good reinforcements for where the chain wraps around the frame (I wouldn't do it).

The suspension will NOT be happy. If it's air ride, the "naked" axle will hang all the way down (as far as the air bags will allow) and the bags will be under the same pressure as the laden axle. If it's spring suspension, the inter-axle swivel piece will spend most of its time swiveled all the way to one end of its range, which will put the naked axle low as well. To chain up the axle, your chain will be under the same load as the laden axle (about 8k), so you'd better have a strong chain and some good reinforcements for where the chain wraps around the frame (I wouldn't do it).

That is the information I was looking for. I'll leave them on and see if I can sell them off while down there and if not I'll go ahead and find a way to strap them down for the trip home. Thank you all very much for information.

2016 Cyclone 4200

Net Proceeds has been that way for 6 years. Full set on the rear drivers, singles on the intermediate axle. We travel 7-8 K a year.

J&V with Edina (RIP), the wonder dobie and
Net Proceeds our 2005 Volvo VNL630 256" WB. Focus SVT on the back, in the garage. ET Hitch controlling the articulation. Jackalopee controlling the 'juice'. 2002 Teton 39' Grand Sundance
All still a work in progress.
Photos and comments at http://gallery.ournetproceeds.com

Wanna be creative? Take the wheels off the rear axle, leave them home. You're bobtailing, right? Weight not a factor on the susp. Drop the D shaft to the rear axle. You may have to run the interlock, but you're dumping that axle anyway, right? There may be a market for the power divider if a common ratio, see if your shop wants it against the work. Good luck!

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

You could put one tire on each side of axle so you have 4 tires and drive it that way.

That's certainly something to think about, thank you.

Wanna be creative? Take the wheels off the rear axle, leave them home. You're bobtailing, right? Weight not a factor on the susp. Drop the D shaft to the rear axle. You may have to run the interlock, but you're dumping that axle anyway, right? There may be a market for the power divider if a common ratio, see if your shop wants it against the work. Good luck!

Yes, bobtailing it down there. The rear end is 3.25, I would like to get something for it. I'll check and see if the shop would be interested. Thanks for the info.

2016 Cyclone 4200

I would not recommend running very far on the power divider axle only.

Be safe just run down there as a twin screw and come back as a single.

Call

https://www.vanderhaags.com/locationtemplate.php?store=Kansas%20City

This is Vander Haggs in KC, see what your dif is worth.

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

I would not recommend running very far on the power divider axle only.

Be safe just run down there as a twin screw and come back as a single.

Call

https://www.vanderhaags.com/locationtemplate.php?store=Kansas%20City

This is Vander Haggs in KC, see what your dif is worth.

Ok, thanks for that info Rick! Still hoping the DMV delivers the title before I go.

2016 Cyclone 4200

Archived