Solo Senior searching out best destinations & fellow travelers

Hi Everyone:)

I am on my way to full-timing, but will start out with going to a seasonal job. I need the extra dollars to go with my retirement. I am a very active Senior, 64 this month, hike, bike (not so fond of the bicycling but I have a nice one) and just walking to see the sights/take photos of.

I will be buying a used Class C, hopefully by Spring. If not, the extra money I make, plus my savings should get me into a mh by beginning of Winter months, 2017.

My main reason for posting is to find out a lot of info like the following:

1. Are there many women here I can yack with (I'm divorced 20 years, and not looking to ever be anything but single now)

The above is because I want to meet other gals my age that are doing this, and might have good ideas on destinations for my preferences (places to work, or travel to where I can hike, maybe with other hikers etc.)

2. Insurance costs for Class C's (I will be making payments so need full coverage)

3. When I go into FT'ing, what is my "home" address? Can we live as we are at home wherever we go, or have to keep changing addresses. I don't plan to keep a home-base due to costs of my apartment I live in now. Can we use someone elses address as our home addy? My sister would allow me to do that.

I have a lot of questions, naturally, and I have searched out other forums, but they just, aren't very active. I want to meet some people I can talk to online on a fairly, regular basis.

Anyway, appreciate any feedback:) Have a great day, and Merry Christmas!

Ready to unleash my gypsy heart after years of trying to put my "square" self in "round" mold :lol:

Single but younger soon-to-be full-timer woman who will still have to work PT/seasonal to keep an income. There's plenty of us out there; there's a few good YouTube channels you might want to check out. Carolyn's RV Life is one of the best ones I've come across for single, female RVers.

I'll be hitting the road no later than October 1st next year (and hopefully sooner). A trip to Europe and a LD backpacking trip take up the rest of the summer before I leave for the warmer southern winters.

Welcome to the forums.

2007 Keystone Springdale 245 FWRLL-S (modified)

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

Cody and Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Latest departure date: 10/1/2017

Find us at www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com

Loners on Wheels is a solo RVing group you might want to check into. If you join Escapees, beyond participating in this forum, you can also check out their solo group and their boomer group. There are other groups as well but that will get you started on some very active ones.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

2. Insurance costs for Class C's (I will be making payments so need full coverage)

There are too many things that go into insurance premiums ("garaging" address, driving record, what's being insured and in what amounts, even your credit rating) for anyone to give you a definitive answer. The best anyone can do is tell you what THEY are paying, but because their situation is different, it doesn't mean you'll be paying the same. You will, of course, need fulltimers insurance which will be more expensive that regular RV insurance since it includes liability coverage like you'd get with a homeowner's policy. I'd suggest calling several different insurance agencies that specialize in RV insurance (Millers RV Insurance, for example) and get quotes. Of course, unless you know WHAT you'll be insuring and WHERE it's going to be insured, it'll be difficult to get any answers.

3. When I go into FT'ing, what is my "home" address? Can we live as we are at home wherever we go, or have to keep changing addresses. I don't plan to keep a home-base due to costs of my apartment I live in now. Can we use someone elses address as our home addy? My sister would allow me to do that.

*Most* fulltimers use the services of a mail forwarder in the state they select as a domicile state (Texas, South Dakota, and Florida are the most popular for a whole host of reasons). Escapees has a mail service in each of these three states.

You can, of course, use your sister's address, if she's willing to handle your mail for you. It would depend on where she lives, too. California, for instance, would be a high-tax state which you'd probably want to avoid.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Welcome to the forums. I think that you would be well served to start by reading a book or two on RV living which could be purchased from Amazon or probably borrowed from your local library. Most libraries do have at least a few books on this lifestyle, typically in the reference section. Doing some reading will explain a lot of the questions you are asking as well as introducing some subjects that you may not have thought of.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Welcome! Here are some RVing singles groups. Note that they are not matchmaking/dating groups. They are just for RVers who want to meet up as a group at various places to do things together such as hiking, potlucks, siteseeing, kayaking, geocaching, etc.

www.lonersonwheels.com

www.rvsingles.org (WINS)

www.rvingwomen.org

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Single but younger soon-to-be full-timer woman who will still have to work PT/seasonal to keep an income. There's plenty of us out there; there's a few good YouTube channels you might want to check out. Carolyn's RV Life is one of the best ones I've come across for single, female RVers.

I'll be hitting the road no later than October 1st next year (and hopefully sooner). A trip to Europe and a LD backpacking trip take up the rest of the summer before I leave for the warmer southern winters.

Welcome to the forums.

I want to meet all ages, fine with me:) I'm going to be doing some hiking, just found a hiking buddy today (also a senior) that knows all the trails around here. I want to get in better shape, shed the 15 lbs I picked up this Winter, and be ready to go as soon as possible. I am sending out resumes/applications for seasonal work for Spring/Summer 2017. Hope hope hope;) Great to meet you, Denise

Loners on Wheels is a solo RVing group you might want to check into. If you join Escapees, beyond participating in this forum, you can also check out their solo group and their boomer group. There are other groups as well but that will get you started on some very active ones.

Linda Sand

Sounds great Linda, I do plan to start with a seasonal job, and keep my place until I am sure I want to be a full-timer. I sure think I do, but I'll know more after being out there at least 3-4 months. I'll keep your reply in mind, thank you so much, denise

There are too many things that go into insurance premiums ("garaging" address, driving record, what's being insured and in what amounts, even your credit rating) for anyone to give you a definitive answer. The best anyone can do is tell you what THEY are paying, but because their situation is different, it doesn't mean you'll be paying the same. You will, of course, need fulltimers insurance which will be more expensive that regular RV insurance since it includes liability coverage like you'd get with a homeowner's policy. I'd suggest calling several different insurance agencies that specialize in RV insurance (Millers RV Insurance, for example) and get quotes. Of course, unless you know WHAT you'll be insuring and WHERE it's going to be insured, it'll be difficult to get any answers.

*Most* fulltimers use the services of a mail forwarder in the state they select as a domicile state (Texas, South Dakota, and Florida are the most popular for a whole host of reasons). Escapees has a mail service in each of these three states.

You can, of course, use your sister's address, if she's willing to handle your mail for you. It would depend on where she lives, too. California, for instance, would be a high-tax state which you'd probably want to avoid.

Yes, I do understand that, I mostly wanted to make connections with others, folks to talk to about these things. It's overwhelming but after talking to a couple of people at the Christmas party, totally doable. I like that idea of a Domicile State because I don't want my sis to have to worry about my mail;) (the Escapees mail service in those States that is).

I know I will have to establish myself with a seasonal job, and possibly, hopefully, that will get me to another seasonal job, etc. I don't need to work "every" season, but just to get a resume of jobs working seasonal will be great!

Welcome to the forums. I think that you would be well served to start by reading a book or two on RV living which could be purchased from Amazon or probably borrowed from your local library. Most libraries do have at least a few books on this lifestyle, typically in the reference section. Doing some reading will explain a lot of the questions you are asking as well as introducing some subjects that you may not have thought of.

Good idea, and I'll search my library2go on my Nook Tablet. I love to read, and will enjoy watching for videos on full-timing, as well as reading any books I can find, thank you much:)

Welcome! Here are some RVing singles groups. Note that they are not matchmaking/dating groups. They are just for RVers who want to meet up as a group at various places to do things together such as hiking, potlucks, siteseeing, kayaking, geocaching, etc.

www.lonersonwheels.com

www.rvsingles.org (WINS)

www.rvingwomen.org

Sounds right up my alley 2gypsies, no matchmaking groups for sure. I figure if something like that happens by fate, accident etc. maybe then;) I'm so independent it would be hard to have a mate now. So, thank you very much for the links. I'll check them out. I've seen them in the past, but have never been more serious about going for it. Too many people around me my age or older, doing nothing at all. I can't "not" take this opportunity to do something that I believe would be my greatest adventure:)

I've read some fiction about widowed women that travel full-time, at least one of them. Books by Sue Henry, and Lorena McCourtney;) ttyl, denise

Ready to unleash my gypsy heart after years of trying to put my "square" self in "round" mold :lol:

Also try womenrv.com. It's not a big group, but there are a core of us who get together from time to time when we are in the same area. Just spent a couple of days with two other full-timer women. You can read posts, but to post, you have to ask to join and then post a short intro.

1. There are a lot more of us women out there than you might suspect, but we are not always easy to spot. Look for women driving an RV and doing all the hooking up themselves!

2. Personally I pay $85 per month for full-timers insurance on my 2012 Class C, but my domicile is Ohio, which is a fairly cheap state for insurance. Another consideration is license plate fees, which are only $59 per year for my motorhome.

3. I use my younger son's address because he lives in Ohio. My older son lives in California, which is much more expensive, which is why I don't choose that as my domicile.

I will warn you that we solo RVing women tend to be a bit independent, so we aren't always extremely social, but we are always willing to help other women out when we can. It is a great life and I have loved almost every minute of the last four-and-a-half years on the road. (Exception might be replacing seal on my toilet a couple of years ago and having to do it again next week. Involves hugging your toilet because some dummy decided screw mechanism had to be on back of toilet!)

Archived