Military Campgrounds

drzcharlie

"Some training bases like Parris Island and the USAFA have special consideration for non-dependent family members to use famcamps for graduations only."

Hey, this makes good sense so keep it quiet or it might go away.

Jfyi, I earlier referred to Navy Lake campground at Navy Memphis. I just heard from the talk in the head that it is supposed to close very soon. I think they said by the end of Jan. 2017. Even though not official I was told by the owner of the park I am in near there the manager of Navy lake CG just came here to find a site since it is closing and he needs a new place to park. That should be pretty good scuttlebutt.

• 2 weeks later...

What does everyone do with their firearms when they go on military bases? I think the Army might be ok if you have them registered but I think the Navy has some draconian rules (not sure, just going by the signs you see when entering the bases).

It is entirely dependent on the individual base. You need to check when you register or call ahead and ask about the rules.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

What does everyone do with their firearms when they go on military bases? I think the Army might be ok if you have them registered but I think the Navy has some draconian rules (not sure, just going by the signs you see when entering the bases).

On the military campground web site it tells If they are allowed or not. If they are not allowed you can leave them with the provost Marshall office. The firearm policy is listed down at the bottom by the weather info if they have on.

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

It is entirely dependent on the individual base. You need to check when you register or call ahead and ask about the rules.

And I might add that simply whistling on down the road and ignoring whatever the reg might be is not wise. Some bases (and I have witnessed this) use dogs to check out large vehicles including RVs. You get caught at least they turn you around and deny entry, at worst..... you may not want to know.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

And I might add that simply whistling on down the road and ignoring whatever the reg might be is not wise. Some bases (and I have witnessed this) use dogs to check out large vehicles including RVs. You get caught at least they turn you around and deny entry, at worst..... you may not want to know.

Sometimes they require trailers to enter through the commercial entrance. They made me do that when I was pulling a UHAUL trailer. There they scan the vehicle/trailer from the side with some sort of large device.

Archived