Pros and Cons of buying an Ultra-Light Travel Trailer

Sandra1953

I'll have to second Earl's comments on comfort and claustrophobia - he makes many good points.

This is why we went to a 36' DP when we decided we wanted to get back into RVing as snowbirds. I was nearing 70 and while I love my TT the places to sit comfortably are limited. When I was 40 I could just stash a few pillows behind me on a salon settee and be just fine with it. But my tastes have changed. I like the recliner, a decent reading light source (I have an older Kindle). The DW wanted a bed she could walk around and get in - and out of - without climbing over me. We wanted a full size shower. A rooftop suitable for more than just 100-watts of solar. And we wanted a choice of what we tow whether it is a boat, a Jeep, a Kia sedan, or even the TT (for the kids and grandkids).

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

WDR, a correction to note. Streamline was never associated with Air Stream. Streamkine was a split off from Silver Streak which was never associated with Air Stream.

If you want a small silver aluminum trailer, you may want to look at the Avion silvers. Better built than an Air Stream and much better used value.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Might as well add my two cents and confuse you more. After tenting all our lives with a well-behaved dog, we got two German Shepherd pups that we realized were not going to be held in by a sheet of nylon, plus, my husband does motorcycle racing and was working out the back of a 16 foot trailer at the track, leaving no room for me and the dogs. So we found on Craigslist a used (5x) ultralight TT- Jayco 30' Featherlite, one slide the length of the sink and couch which only extends out about 1 foot. It's like heaven after tent camping as you can imagine. We have tens of thousands of very happy miles on it. We actually use a elec. space heater instead of the furnace, and altho I carry a 2nd, we've never had to use it. I did install mirrored mylar sheeting on the stationary windows --made a huge dif. in reflecting the heat in the warmer months, plus we can see out and it is mirrored to the outside unless you get up very close to the outside to peer in. We have one A/C unit which handles the trailer nicely until we get into the 90s-in which case we get it up and running early in the morning and keep it blasting - then we are fine. Otherwise, the A/C struggles mid day. We like to keep it cold for the dogs. We took two chairs out by the picture window to give the dogs their own sleeping quarters. Admittedly, we are not happy with the comfort level of the couch and dinette set; As a side note, we have gone to RV shows and tried every couch and dinette seat and the comfort level was as miserable in the $650K motorhomes as was the $25K TT; only until we hit Heartland did we find Broyhill furniture to sink in to. Being solo you'll be fine with flipping the couch down, stretching out, finding what works for you -which for us was adding a foam topper to the couch and Queen mattress as well as extra bed pillows to read in bed or use on the couch. We started pulling it with an F150 Lariat Crew Cab short bed - went all over the country and into mountains and down steep switchbacks - just fine. Husband says there was some of the 'tail wagging the dog' and yes, at times we felt getting sucked towards a tractor trailer, but he decided to change to a diesel 7.2 F350 dually -- towes much better, no more wagging or getting sucked in, doesn't use that much more fuel (diesel pricier than gasoline). I must say I have never ever come close to needing storage space in the Jayco and we've travelled a month or more at a time - SC to WI to Montana to Wyoming, or SC up into Nova Scotia and back down through New England. I can't say I'm a minimalist either - I overpack with clothing, food, dog everything, first aid and safety gear, fire extinguishers, pots,pans - have been in need of nothing w/room to spare. We use the back of the pick up for lawn chairs and that's about it. Kevin carries an extra heavy floor jack in the bed of the pickup for emergencies -which we have loaned to thankful RVers stuck along the road when their jack didn't do the trick, and have used ourselves for a few blowouts. We feel we got our money's worth out of this trailer and it is still in great shape (alum. frame, fiberglass body, rubber roof) and feel we'll do fine on the eventual resale. Problems that come to mind: heater element gets caked quickly with minerals so we always carry a spare, too many outlets on one circuit breaker - so if the microwave is on I don't run my hair dryer, if the microwave and space heater are running, a toaster can blow a breaker, grrrr. The tt rides low - not much ground clearance, so mindfulness is needed in rocky campgrounds and potholed roadways, and not always the easiest setting up the sewage line with the low clearance. It rides low, but easier for us and dogs to use just the one step up than some units with 3 steep steps. We have two exit doors as well as two large emergency windows. It has lots of windows - great for rainy days, and plenty of lighting throughout, so we can read easily anywhere. Other problems- had a small back window shatter on us just as we pulled into Glacier Park - not sure if it was the flexing of the unit or it was just its time; could not get tempered tinted glass custom cut to fit unless we spent two weeks waiting so we opted to get the plexiglass in a few hours and move on. Kevin has caulked extensively trying to eliminate entrances for mice and so far so good this winter. Had a few water leaks in the plumbing initially, so we carry plumber's goop with us now. Water used to collect around the A/C unit on the roof and then run into the air vent dripping all over the floor - until Kevin did a minor redesign of the drainage up on the roof. All in all 8 yrs in this trailer with substantial use, it has served our needs and comfort well and it is considered a low-end trailer. Since we are planning to go full time, we are searching for a fifth wheel toy hauler as the way to go for us with two dogs and a motorcycle. If I were a solo, yes I could live in the TT fine but would eliminate any extreme temps as others have mentioned. The newer models have bigger slide outs, ours is considered puny by the current standards, but slide outs add weight. If I sat here longer writing, I could probably put you to sleep, but hope this has helped you in some way. Good luck with your decisions, you'll do fine, with a little help from your friends - Mary

Anyone wandering into this topic is going to find a LOT of useful information. :D

I may not have a final decision on my idea of the best RV/tow vehicle yet, but at least now I have much better idea. It may take a few months, but I will report back to everyone about the final decision. You may not agree, but at least you'll know (thanks to the comments) that it will be a well informed decision.

Sandy

. You may not agree, but at least you'll know (thanks to the comments) that it will be a well informed decision.

And that is the whole purpose of the forums, along with making a lot of new friends! Remember that the only person who needs to like the final choice that you make is you. We will be interested to hear what you get and how your travels go so don't be a stranger.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Earlier there was mention of being uncomfortable in smaller RV's. Here is a blog of a couple who have been living fulltime in a 23' travel trailer for several years: You could leave them a message in their blog and they may be willing to answer any questions you may have about living in a smaller space.

Edit: I see I left off a link to the blog: http://www.mytripjournal.com/2014_Travels

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

A little different perspective.. I think the "suitability" factor, with regard to lite's and "4 season" rigs largely depends on the type of camping that you do. If you are the type that will have your schedule and reservations planned well in advance, then you probably want a heavier multi season type rig. The reason being is that you have already determined a set location, time, and length of stay without regard for weather changes. If a storm or hot spell sweeps through.. well.. you're just stuck with it.

In that situation, then some of the statements about a lite trailer not being suitable for full timing might be true.

Flip the coin over... if you are a "goldilockser" (those that move with the weather.. not too hot.. not too cold), then a lite is perfectly suitable for full timing. That's kind of the boat I am in. I pretty much never stay in a CG and never make advance reservations. If it's going to be raining and cold temperatures... or be hitting over 90 for the next week... I'm OUT of there! :lol:

My 25' (w/slide) rigs dry weight is only 4300.. so I guess it would be considered a "lite". But it is very well built. I like not having a heavy rig to pull around. I like being able to get into just about anywhere I might have an urge to go see. Many of the really beautiful and interesting places I've seen I've just happened upon wandering one direction or the other with no set plan.

I still hit a chilly morning every now and again when I'll turn the heat on for a bit.. or a specially warm day when I'll hit the A/C to take the heat of the day off before bed, but for the most part, it's just not enjoyable to me to "ride out" a heat wave or a cold spell.

To each their own, but to categorically say that "lite's" are not suitable for full timing is, in my book, just a matter of perspective and camping style.

We tend to NOT be Golidilockser's. We do avoid hot weather if at all possible. When the weather turns cooler in the fall or starts warming up in the spring we like to head to scenic locations when the crowds are gone or have not arrived yet. It is really great being in National Parks, National Forests, State Parks, etc without all the crowds around.

I recommend trying to find a RV which has inclosed holding tanks and the dump valves inside a compartment. That way you can be in 20 degree temps in the early morning hours and tolerate a couple-three days of freezing temps.

With a propane catalytic heater you can keep your RV warm enough to be comfortable. You won't be sitting inside in a T shirt and shorts, but with warm slippers, fleece or Polartec pants & shirt, having the RV in the mid 60's is quite comfortable.

For example visiting a place like Zion NP in the winter it fantastic. It is desert country, so while you get an occasional winter storm, most of the days are bright and sunny.

Here is a blog from a person who winters as the camp host in Zion most winters: Browse back through his posts and look at some of the pics of winter in Zion. http://www.lightcurve.com/

We have been in Zion & Grand Canyon in Feb and loved it. For Grand Canyon at about 6000' you have to be careful about winter storms, but once they pass it can be great.

Bottom line is, if you like exploring natural scenic areas being able to camp/boondock in 20 degree weather for a few hours allows you visit beautiful places with fewer crowds. Think of Yellowstone, Grand Teton in May or September/October, Yosemite in the winter.

Edit: Somehow the link to a blog is missing: http://www.lightcurve.com/

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Sandy,

Your initial post mentioned one specific model of trailer and one line that has several different models. Having read through all the responses, it seems that some posters are not all that familiar with either of them. The Oliver website clear states that the manufacturer considers the Elite II a 4 season trailer. The brochure clearly shows that the holding tanks are enclosed. The Arctic Fox trailers mentioned are considered four season trailers by the manufacturer and have a good reputation. The brochure discusses the construction, insulation and heated/enclosed tanks. The small Arctic Fox, the 22G, has a GVWR of 7500#. So like the Oliver Elite II, I would not necessarily consider it a light weight trailer. I did not see any statement on the Bullet that says it is a four season trailer. The general features of the Bullet do appear to include an enclosed and heated underbelly which would enclose the holding tanks. If it is not standard it would at least be an option. We have had two travel trailers with designs similar to the Bullet with enclosed/heated underbellies and have survived nights in the low 20s without the tanks or pipes freezing, but we do tend to move on if that weather is predicted to stick around for more than a couple of days.

I had a 27' Class C motorhome for 3 years. Our next RV, a travel trailer with a 26' box was roughly the same interior size as the Class C. The trailer had a lot more usable space and storage inside. The Class C had a lot of outdoor storage. The largest storage compartment was behind the axles and extended all the way to the bumper. I was never comfortable putting a lot of weight behind the axles so it was not as useful as it might appear. At least when we got the Class C anything smaller did not have a dedicated bed other than one over the cab which is great for kids but not so much for older adults. In taking a quick look at the current offerings in Class Cs, the shortest one with an actual chair in the living room is 31'. It seemed to be about the same in Class A motorhomes. Class As generally have at least one of the cockpit seats that will swivel to be used in the living area. This is a little harder to find in the Cs but their are some or you can get after market replacements that swivel. As mentioned, a lot of RV furniture is not all that comfortable. In some cases the sofa can be replaced with chairs. In others there are compartments or mechanical items that make removal and replacement difficult or impossible.

Sorry for such a long post, but thought this information might help.

Good Luck in your search for the right RV for you!!

The small Arctic Fox, the 22G, has a GVWR of 7500#. So like the Oliver Elite II, I would not necessarily consider it a light weight trailer.

You have to look a little deeper when comparing most Northwood trailers to others. Northwood uses stronger chassis and suspension components that raise the GVWR and Net Carrying Capacity of many of their models above the industry norms. If you just compare GWVRs you're penalizing Northwood for building a stronger trailer.

In the case of the Arctic Fox 22G, it's Dry Weight is 4678 lbs - 78 lbs. more than the all fiberglass Elite II, not the 500 lb. difference you'd expect by comparing GVWRs.

That means the 22G has 2822 lbs of Net Carrying Capacity, and I don't think anyone could cram 2800 lbs. of stuff into a 22 ft. trailer - except maybe Lucy and her rock collection.

You have to look a little deeper when comparing most Northwood trailers to others. Northwood uses stronger chassis and suspension components that raise the GVWR and Net Carrying Capacity of many of their models above the industry norms. If you just compare GWVRs you're penalizing Northwood for building a stronger trailer.

In the case of the Arctic Fox 22G, it's Dry Weight is 4678 lbs - 78 lbs. more than the all fiberglass Elite II, not the 500 lb. difference you'd expect by comparing GVWRs.

That means the 22G has 2822 lbs of Net Carrying Capacity, and I don't think anyone could cram 2800 lbs. of stuff into a 22 ft. trailer - except maybe Lucy and her rock collection.

I was not trying to penalize Northwood or any other builder. Much of the criticism of "Lite-weight" trailers was centering around carrying capacity, heated tanks, poor insulation etc. I provided links to the trailer specifications in hopes that folks that were not familiar with these units might take the time to look before making comments that do not apply. The Oliver has a carrying capacity of 2400# and sits on 16" tires so like the Arctic Fox is designed with higher capacity than many trailers of its size. I was trying to address some of the comments that from what I see don't really apply to the Arctic Fox and Oliver like:

I do not believe that any ultra-lite that I am familiar with would serve at all well in temperature extremes, as you are bound to experience at times when fulltime. It is very difficult to totally avoid cold and these RVs are low in weight because they are constructed using aluminum, which is a wonderful medium for conducting heat, making them very difficult to keep warm if it gets cold. You simply can not build an RV of the quality and durability needed for full-time living and keep the weight to the limits which the ultra-lite lines require.
I recommend trying to find a RV which has inclosed holding tanks and the dump valves inside a compartment. That way you can be in 20 degree temps in the early morning hours and tolerate a couple-three days of freezing temps.

The configuration of the underbelly and plumbing are also important for four season use... are the water lines protected from freezing?

The other item I was trying to address was the issue of the comfort difference between a smaller motorhome and travel trailer.

The big problem in all of the small trailers is comfort. Like Kirk, we downsized from a fiver to a 23' trailer when we got off the road. We love the smaller trailer but this summer we lived in it for a couple months and it rained, and it rained, and it rained. The uncomfortable furniture got really uncomfortable when living inside 24/7. We sure missed the space and the nice rockers and couch in a bigger RV. Those table seats don't have the support or depth for comfort. You'll need a truck and be prepared to be digging around the bed (with a canopy) all the time for all of your stuff. There won't be much storage in the trailer.

I suppose it's possible to never turn on a heater in some parts of the US. When I lived in Perrine, FL (south of Miami) in the mid 1960s our house had no furnace at all but it certainly felt cold getting up when the temp was 50F on some winter days. But we never turned on a heater; we didn't have one. But I would have turned one on if we'd had one. :P

And ice storms are common in many parts of TX during the winter.

I've lived in the Tucson area and seen many winter mornings below freezing. Even the Yuma area gets down into the low 30s at night at times. We have a 5-acre parcel of land we camp on near Patagonia, AZ (SE of Tucson) and have awakened to snow in December. Even daytime temps can stay in the 50s when storms roll through.

As someone else mentioned, if you can keep your RV in the mid-60s then simply wearing proper clothing will keep you comfortable. Since we have been avid cross-country skiers all our lives wearing warm clothes is not a problem. We even have down (and the combination of down and polypro will keep you comfy in a wide range of temperatures).

But, in general, do not expect warm temperatures at night (or in the early morning) in the SW desert in the winter.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

Archived