How do you store your wine bottles?

Hi all,

Since its a rainy day, we're doing our indoor stuff. Hubby is hanging LED strip tape along the tops of the slide outs. It takes away the shadows and makes for a nice softly lit interior. We're also working on securing things for the road. We have two weeks before we officially hit the road. I have quite a bit of wine, 6-12 bottles. Has anyone come up with a permanent storage solution? I've got it designated to one cabinet for now. I will always have wine so I'd like to convert the cabinet so I won't have to keep taking it out and putting it in a divider box. I'm curious to see what others have done!

Thanks!

Happy Easter!

It's all fine and dandy until someone's marshmallow catches fire!

2015 Ford F-250 6.2L (She ain't diesel but she hauls ass!)

2012 Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS

Http://www.5thwheelgypsy.blogspot.com

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We buy box wines. They have come quite a ways in quality and are not only cheaper but easier to store.

X2 the higher quality boxes that retail between ~$16-22/3 liters are quite drinkable IMO.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

I googled wine bottle storage in RV and found this site that has an idea for wine bottles and several other neat tricks for RV storage:

http://rvcoutdoors.com/37-rv-hacks-that-will-make-you-a-happy-camper/

I like the tubular mesh solution, but it looks a bit on the pricy side at the supplier that you have suggested. Of course 164' of it somewhat mitigates the cost but it would take years for most of us to use that amount! I wonder if there isn't some other source that could supply it in smaller quantities?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We have carried several bottles of wine for years in an overhead side cabinet with other alcohol ...never "packed" it any particular way, and never had a problem. If the bottle supply is sparse we might cram a pillow into the cabinet to help keep the bottles from clinking around.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

We have carried several bottles of wine for years in an overhead side cabinet

Now that's aged wine! :)

We kept ours in the basement in a divider box and brought it inside when needed. We always had more room in the basement then dedicating an upstairs cabinet to wine.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

You have 14 days to drink 8-12 bottles. From there buy the boxed wines. Problem solved and it didn't cost any thing. Your were going to drink them any way. :)

X2

We are among those that buy boxed wines.

Full time since August 2010

2002 Itasca Horizon

One fur kid - a Shih-Tsu rescue

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd

We have a divided box that wine was shipped to us in at one point that lay's sideways perfectly in a cabinet that holds 6 bottles. We don't drink a bunch of wine but like to have a couple bottles available for when the time is right.

Dave & Diane

2020 New Horizon Majestic  5th wheel

2018 Ram 5500

2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH (SOLD)
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited (SOLD)

http://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWqRmO1rO4cu3rFANF1iG6Q

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10752;80/st/20120701/e/Went+fulltime/dt/-2/k/271f/event.png

You have 14 days to drink 8-12 bottles. From there buy the boxed wines. Problem solved and it didn't cost any thing. Your were going to drink them any way. :)

Hiccup....hiccup....I'm working on it!! Hic.....hic.......burp!!......

We're still a work in progress on the wine carrying front. When we took off last year for our Retirement Victory Tour to Alaska - we had 6 cases scattered around!! (And yes, we still had some when we got to the border heading North. Crossed over in Alberta, and told the nice lady that we had some hard alcohol and several bottles of wine. The lady was more interested in making sure our dog had all the right paper work:)!).

What we are currently doing for storage:

1) We have an overhead cabinet that we keep a case of wine in. I watch Costco for sturdy looking boxes and dividers. Cut the boxes to about 6" deep, and the the dividers to about 7", so I can see the tops of the bottles when choosing. (We also stash our mixed drinks in this cabinet too, with about 1/3 of the cabinet left for a few other miscellaneous items to be stored.) It's a two door cabinet, about 2 1/2' long. We took 1/2 and had a carpet lined shelf placed in the upper part of the cabinet. Here we lay our ports, and other speciality items on their side. Placing bubble wrap in between them to stop the clinking.

2) We have a J-Lounge that has storage underneath. Store many items here, including four cases of wine.

3) When we need 'overflow' storage, we stack bottles behind the towels in our linen cabinet, or even laid on their sides within the extra sheets in the linen cabinet.

We make strategic stops along the way, at various Costco's and Trader Joe's for replenishment of the basic food necessity. We call it Vitamin W!

We also keep boxes of Botta Cabernet, Zin, and Chardonnay on the floor of a closet. We take these to functions, as we find their easier to carry then the equivalent of four bottles they represent! (And if this is what Joel was referring to, we concur it's a great value for some pretty decent wines!! The store well, and when on sale can be found at some good bargains!!

I mentioned work in progress, as we're still modifying cabinets in the coach as we make it ours. We've a few ideas where we can add two storage areas for up to about 18 bottles, without sacrificing other storage areas. These mod's are in our budget for later this year.

Enjoy reading threads on unique storage ideas. I'll grab a glass and sit down to follow this thread!

Best, or should I say 'Cheers!' to all,Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

The wine bottles I have in my RV are usually empty, so no real storage issue. Dave.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

I like the tubular mesh solution, but it looks a bit on the pricy side at the supplier that you have suggested. Of course 164' of it somewhat mitigates the cost but it would take years for most of us to use that amount! I wonder if there isn't some other source that could supply it in smaller quantities?

If you're ever in Ontario they give it to you free when you buy a bottle at the LCBO.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."       Will Rogers        

Our normal wine is from a box; Black Box Merlot. However we also carry a few bottles to take to functions and parties. For these we cut the toe from an old pair of sox and slip over the bottle. Bottles are then placed in a small plastic storage container that fits in the cabinets. If there's not enought bottles to fill the container just stuff a towel in it.

We do the same for some other bottles like olive oil, vinegar, etc...

Hi Kirk

We got a handful of them (when I still drank) from the wine store our kids used in Houston called Specs.

I would think other quality wine stores would use them.

Dave O

I think for now, I'll run to the liquor store to get a divider cardboard box. When we get to Cali, I like those boxes you guys posted on Amazon. I love all the storage ideas!

If you search Amazon for "wine carrier" you will find padded bags sized to fit up to six wine bottles specifically for transport. Better than rattling around in a case from my perspective. And easy to haul to potlucks as well.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I normally buy box wine but every once in a while we will stop by Trader Joe's and I'll get a couple bottles of Two Buck Chuck. I keep the bottles in the fridge and refill from the box when they are empty. That way people wont realize that I am drinking cheap box wine... :lol:

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

And another vote for box wine. Pretty good stuff. :D

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Hounds: Auggie (beer drinking English Cocker Spaniel)

Angus (five pounds of bad azz chihuahua)

Homebase: 2015 Heartland 365 Key West -- The "Uno Mas"

The Office: 2016 Crossroads Hill Country 26RB

Hi,

We have a storage place under the bed that is just the right size for 5 cases of wine. Temp doesn't vary too much.

We sometimes come home with almost as much wine as we left with as we buy wine at some of the wineries along the way.

When I came back from South America in the 1970s I had developed a taste for both decent red wine and espresso coffee. Imagine my surprise to find that back then "red wine" meant Mogen David and coffee came in cans and was brewed in percolators.

There were some pretty lean times around the dinner table (and breakfast table) for a few years. Then Safeway began selling Christian Brothers Pinot Noir and I was saved. (Still took a while for decent coffee, though.)

Now we just buy box wine. Easy to keep, easy to serve, and pretty decent wine for the most part. Plus you can use the little bladders for extra flotation in a kayak. :P

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

When I came back from South America in the 1970s I had developed a taste for both decent red wine and espresso coffee. Imagine my surprise to find that back then "red wine" meant Mogen David and coffee came in cans and was brewed in percolators.

There were some pretty lean times around the dinner table (and breakfast table) for a few years. Then Safeway began selling Christian Brothers Pinot Noir and I was saved. (Still took a while for decent coffee, though.)

Now we just buy box wine. Easy to keep, easy to serve, and pretty decent wine for the most part. Plus you can use the little bladders for extra flotation in a kayak. :P

WDR

I was fortunate to be an altar boy at Orthodox Christian services and always made up the wine. Drank a little of it too at that age.

Then we moved to the SF Bay Area just a few miles from the Napa Valley. Those of you with NetFlix can watch Bottle Shock which pretty much covers Napa in the 1970's. My one disappointment in life was bicycling through Europe in 1976. I was really looking forward to drinking those great French wines......and found them to be awful compared to California. Then I moved to eastern Washington in 1981 just in time for their wine boom. Life was and is good.

Storage issues with wine? We generally buy 12 or 24 bottles at a time. IF you shop Total Wine or other discounters we just get a wine box for 12 bottles and store that in the bathroom. We actually have enough room in our Cameo on the floor in the bathroom. Twelve bottles last about a week or so. Really it is better to have a good cheap wine in your RV, than looking for one in a wine deprived area.

We are focused on finding great wines for under $10/bottle at this point.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

Archived