Nevada domicile?

debiyea

Hello, we are planning to go FT in August this year. We currently reside in California and plan to settle in Nevada once we are done with traveling. Has anyone set up their domicile in Nevada? Trying to determine if best to set up everything in Nevada from the beginning or start in Texas/SD and then change to Nevada once we do settle down after traveling. Thanks for your input.

I believe that the post of Jan & Thomas is probably correct, based upon observations of quite a number of years. Back when we began to look at going full-time, I found a mail forwarding service located in Henderson, NV which at that time was pretty popular with RV owners on the road, but over the years it seems to have faded away and I suspect that the reason is as stated above. Of course, coming from CA where such rates are also very high, it could well be that NV's fees may seem more reasonable to you. My advice is to check those rates and compare them before you commit to a choice of domicile.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Just an added bit of info..... When I looked (briefly) at NV for a domicile I was pretty shocked by the vehicle fees. They base the fee on a percentage of the year and MSRP of the vehicle, with a 15% (i think) reduction each year for a few years, until it reaches a certain percentage of MSRP. So if you have a new vehicle, the fees are pretty steep.

Ya just can't RV without a hitch.....!

We originally chose SD because of relatively low vehicle registration fees, no special vehicle licensing requirements if you drive a motorhome over 26,000 lbs (unlike Texas), and low taxes. FL would be my other choice - very similar to SD in terms of registration fees, licensing requirements, and taxes.

Roger & Mary
2014 Phaeton 36GH
2012 Honda Fit
Zoe (lab mix) and the cats (Sam & Milly)

Hi, I use Nevada. My mail service is with Forward Nevada in Vegas. The vehicle fees are quite high. You may have special problems leaving California. California may continue to "claim" you as a resident. The burden of proof is on YOU to prove to California that you no longer live there--or they can continue to require you to pay state income tax. CA especially scrutinizes people who move to NV. Make sure that all of your CA ties are severed--property, plates, memberships, doctors, dentists, etc.

A couple of other things to keep in mind:

Annual State Motor Vehicle Inspection Required? Emissions Testing? (In some states, it's only required if your address is in certain counties) Are you OK with driving back to your "domicile state once a year to deal with this? Or would you be happier domiciled in a state that doesn't require this?

Thanks to the RealID act, it's getting harder and harder to get Driver's Licenses and such without bunches of supporting documents. It may be hard to get a NV Driver's License and Vehicle Registration without having an actual physical address in NV. I believe there are still work arounds for this in TX and SD.

Regards

John

DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

My Body is a Temple!  Ancient, Crumbling, Probably Cursed . . .

I Don't Like to Make Advanced Plans.  They Cause the Word "PREMEDITATED" to Get Thrown Around in Court!

MyMapS.jpg

I'd think twice before I'd domicile in Nevada. Registration is a lot higher then Texas. Insurance is also higher. And just a heads up, you don't need to return to Texas every year to get your vehicle

inspected. You just need to call your county clecks office and they'll send you a "out of state self certified form" to fill out. And you just sign it and return it with the vehicle registration renewal.I have my domicile at my son's house in Texas. I lived there for over 50 years. I now have a lot in the Escapee Park in Pahrump, NV. And I use this as my home base when not traveling or work camping somewhere.

Sometime in the future I might just relocate to somewhere else.

A couple of other things to keep in mind:

Thanks to the RealID act, it's getting harder and harder to get Driver's Licenses and such without bunches of supporting documents. It may be hard to get a NV Driver's License and Vehicle Registration without having an actual physical address in NV. I believe there are still work arounds for this in TX and SD.

There is also still a workaround in FL, we just did our residency there, vehicle registration and voter registration last week with our local FL mail service we established a couple months back.

Archived