Texas class A non-CDL license: skills test for 5th wheels

Dranoel

Glazer1972, I had a Texas CDL license and since I am retired and not driving commerical I surrenderd it at the DPS office and they converted it over to a non-commercial class A license and not testing (other than eye test) was required.

Bill

2002 Ford F-250 SD CC 4X4

2011 Forest River Wildcat 313RE FW

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sharon and I took the Class A Non-CDL driving test yesterday in Livingston. As has been mentioned, the "tightest" part of the test was the right turn from Washington St onto Hwy 190 in the middle of town.

We tested with our International 4700 MDT and 40' HitchHiker Champagne. Neither of us had to back or parallel park. We both completed the test and are now expecting our Class A non-CDL in the mail in a couple of weeks. The anticipation was much worse than the test.

John

John and Sharon
2011 HH 38LKTG
2001 4700LP
2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel

• 9 months later...

Hi all, I need some information, getting ready to take the test for class A. I was told by the gal in Livingston to study chapter 14 in the Commercial handbook. Ok, nothing for the most part I didn't already know.

I walk into the DPS office in Galveston, set down to take my test, and they tell me I need the section on Combination. From those of you that have tested in Livingston, did you run across this?

Thanks

Mary

MAHEATH

The twp Texas drivers manuals were rewritten recently. I am not sure which are the required chapter(s) in the new manuals.

What we ran into in Houston was the license office was determined to give the full commercial test when RVs are exempt from the full test. We had to talk to Austin and had a name and a phone number that the office in Houston had to call and get the test explained to them.

You might call the office in Austin and get some help from them.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Hi all, I need some information, getting ready to take the test for class A. I was told by the gal in Livingston to study chapter 14 in the Commercial handbook. Ok, nothing for the most part I didn't already know.

I walk into the DPS office in Galveston, set down to take my test, and they tell me I need the section on Combination. From those of you that have tested in Livingston, did you run across this?

Thanks

Mary

Yes, to answer your question. They did tell me to study both sections. Don't panic over all this, lots to do about nothing at the end of the day. Study the pop questions at the end of the chapter and you'll be fine. Also the speed chart. Confusing how they ask the questions.

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

• 2 months later...

We just completed our drivers license tests in Livingston and we are happy to report we both passed with flying colors.

For those looking to take the test in the near future here is what we had to do:

1) Due to our combined weight of the truck and trailer being over 26,000 lbs. and the trailer over 10,000 lbs. we had to get the non commercial class A license.

2) As we were already licence holders with motorcycle endorsements from SD we did not have to take the general knowledge written tests.

3) Since we were going to be non CDL class A we only had to study Chapter 14 of the CDL book and th e written test was 20 questions with only 14 correct required for passing.

4) We passed our written tests and it took 2 weeks for the road tests to be taken due to the backlog.

5) The road test is with your truck and trailer and you have to make the hard right from Washington Ave heading south to the westbound Church St. (Rt. 190). Then we traveled to Rt. 59 feeder road back to Washington Avenue where the tester asked us to make 3 hard left turns thru a residential area back to Washington Ave and park back in front of the DPS. No back ups or parallel parking since we were a 5th wheel.

6) DL will be in mail in 3 to 4 weeks, we have a temp license for now.

The studying and waiting were worse than the actual tests.

The folks at the Livingston DPS office were terrific and very helpful.

This is our experience we and we are sticking by it!

http://ramblingrvrat.blogspot.com/?m=1

GOD Bless America!

GOD Bless Texas!

GOD Bless All of our Troops!

"CHARACTER is doing the right thing when no one is looking"

'09 International Durastar 4400 LP Customized by 2L Custom Trucks

'20 DRV Mobile Suites 40KSSB4, '10 H-D FLHRC Road King Classic, '09 Honda Rebel AmeriDeck M/C Loader in Truck Garage, Polaris RZR 570 EPS 10 - 320W Solar Panels, 4- Simpliphi 3.8 kWh 151A Lithium batteries, Victron Multiplus 3000W inverters, Victron 250/70 Charge Controllers, Progressive hardwired 50 AMP EMS, Class of 2012!

1221594356_ProfilePic.jpg.9b4d57a43f182efadbcaf4db7556bb2e.jpg

My understanding of the governing rules you would need at least a class C but you should call the DPS and ask them or stop into the Livingston office. They are going to go by what your truck and trailer are titled and register for on the weights.

If you call the Livingston Office it will automatically get switched to the Austin HQ. Good Luck!

GOD Bless America!

GOD Bless Texas!

'20 DRV Mobile Suites 40KSSB4, '10 H-D FLHRC Road King Classic, '09 Honda Rebel AmeriDeck M/C Loader in Truck Garage, Polaris RZR 570 EPS 10 - 320W Solar Panels, 4- Simpliphi 3.8 kWh 151A Lithium batteries, Victron Multiplus 3000W inverters, Victron 250/70 Charge Controllers, Progressive hardwired 50 AMP EMS, Class of 2012!

I have read the above and it looks like I don't require any of those licenses? TV F250 rated at 10,000 lbs. and fiver GVWR is 13,815 lbs.

Am I reading it correctly? Thank you

Assuming that the 10,000# on your truck is its GVWR, then, no, you would not need a non-CDL Class A driver's license since your combined GVWR (truck + fifth wheel) is less than 26,001#.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Been searching all over and found this to be the most helpful site anywhere regarding pulling a 5th wheel trailer with a medium size diesel truck. I have a 1991 International 4700 truck that weighs 11,500 lbs, and it is rated to pull 30,000 lbs. But, my trailer GVWR is 13,000 lbs, so I am under the 26,100 limit.

Questions are:

1. What kind of license plates do I have to buy for my truck? (After 4 hours and many calls to Austin from the DMV office, I was told I had to have "combination plates".

2. What kind of inspection do I have to have for my truck? It has air brakes, and most people freak out when they hear that and automatically assume it has to be a DOT inspection for a commercial truck. Is this true? The total weight is less than 26,100 but my trailer weighs in excess of 10,000 lbs.

3. Do I qualify for the non-CDL class A license?

Thanks!!!!

1. What kind of license plates do I have to buy for my truck? (After 4 hours and many calls to Austin from the DMV office, I was told I had to have "combination plates".

When we had a medium duty truck, I do not remember having to have "combination plates" whatever the heck that is.

2. What kind of inspection do I have to have for my truck? It has air brakes, and most people freak out when they hear that and automatically assume it has to be a DOT inspection for a commercial truck. Is this true? The total weight is less than 26,100 but my trailer weighs in excess of 10,000 lbs.

We had air brakes on our medium duty truck, but never had any special inspection because of them. We also didn't have to do anything special about the air brakes when we got our non-CDL Class A driver's licenses.

3. Do I qualify for the non-CDL class A license?

If the 11,500# you say your truck *weighs* is its GVWR, then, no, you would not need the special non-CDL Class A driver's license. If, however, that 11,500# is the truck's actual weight and the GVWR is something more, then you might need the Class A. The rule for the non-CDL Class A is:

GVWR of the tow vehicle + GVWR of the vehicle being towed = 26,001# or more *AND* the GVWR of the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000#.

https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverLicense/dlClasses.htm

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I appreciate the reply...thank you.

Where did you get your truck inspected? Once I mention air brakes the "regular" inspection stations tell me that I have a commercial vehicle and have to go to one of the "big truck" inspection stations. Did you use an inspection station that does automobiles?

My apologies, the truck weighs 11,500 and is rated for 30,000 lbs, for a total of 42,500 lbs.

The combination plates were what I had to buy, according to 4 hours of dialogue between Galveston County and Austin DMV offices.

Further info....the state told me that I had to have the "combination plates" because the truck was a "commercial vehicle" even though I told them that it was used to tow the RV. Seems that Texas used to have different classifications for "trucks" that is no longer used. Seemed very subjective and no one really knew how to classify the truck....hence, the "combination plates" so that I could use it in Texas, as well as, out of state.

When we registered both our truck and trailer under the new system we did not get combination plates just normal plates.

Do yourself a service and go to Livingston, Texas and get all your work done there. The folks at both the tax office and DPS understand the RVing community and will know exactly how to register your vehicles. The folks in Austin are answering phones and don't have experience with what we deal with. We got bum info from Austin too when we first called.

GOD Bless America!

GOD Bless Texas!

My DW and I took ours in the town of Hereford, Texas. In 2003 when I bought my MH, I went to the DL in Amarillo, and they said "Heck no. Your regular drivers license will work great.

Through the years as I followed the SKP forum I got concerned and told my DW that we had better get it done. We went back to Amarillo --- three times and it was a total ZOO. They didn't have any books, didn't know when they would ever get any. So we went to Hereford and met just the nicest crew of people you could ever imagine.

They gave us a book, told us what sections we needed to study. My DW and have have decided that, at our advanced ages we had to combine our brains just to make a whole one, but we studied the section they pointed out, I made 93 or so, my DW made just under that. (Thank goodness) We took the driving test and both scored 100.

We were ecstatic!

I did have some static because AUSTIN lost a letter from my sleep Dr. from 1998, and I had to get them a letter from my current Dr., but hey, that was just Austin Bureaucracy in action.

Now I am no longer an illegal! :wub::D

Traveling America in "God's Grace"

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all...been awhile since I have posted. We have been buying and selling homes and property, had three knee surgeries (one replacement) etc...just a very busy 2015. At any rate, I have a couple of questions related to this topic:

1) Can you take your written test at one location (closer to home) and then take the road test at another location e.g. Livingston?

2) Is there a maximum amount of time between when you take the written exam and when you need to complete the road test? I read on a tractor forum where several people told a guy who plans to buy a 14,000 lb. trailer in the Spring to take his test now to get it knocked out. There was no mention of 30, 60, 90, 120, etc. days before the written test had to be retaken. Thanks all!

Merry Christmas!

Larry

Ex-Navy / Retired Coast Guard CWO w/ 34 Years Total Service.

Goals: 2022 - Retire from my CG civilian job, sell our house, and begin full-timing.

Larry,

My understanding is that you can do the written and driving in different locations, but to be certain, call the Livingston office. Phone # from the net is 936-327-6806. DW and I took our class B yesterday, if you can't pass these you shouldn't be driving anything! Just a PITA.

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas

Hello all...been awhile since I have posted. We have been buying and selling homes and property, had three knee surgeries (one replacement) etc...just a very busy 2015. At any rate, I have a couple of questions related to this topic:

1) Can you take your written test at one location (closer to home) and then take the road test at another location e.g. Livingston?

2) Is there a maximum amount of time between when you take the written exam and when you need to complete the road test? I read on a tractor forum where several people told a guy who plans to buy a 14,000 lb. trailer in the Spring to take his test now to get it knocked out. There was no mention of 30, 60, 90, 120, etc. days before the written test had to be retaken. Thanks all!

Merry Christmas!

You can take the test in one location and then the driving test in another location. You need to check, but I believe you have 90 days to complete the test.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Archived